Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

I think Eloquence is pretty good actually. A lot of releases otherwise not available or out of print for a long while.

Paul Dray, TonyACT and Mild Mavis like this.
  2. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

On CD. I have a box set of Mahler by the LPO, conductor Klaus Tennstedt which I'm very comfortable with. On vinyl, No 2 is Simon Rattle which doesn't hold me, and No 1 is Solti on the HiFi News Supercut by Nimbus; I love Solti on most of his work including this. And, Sod's law, I can't find my other Mahler vinyl.
    However, I think you've prompted me to try and find a Solti/Mahler box set though further reports on Sir John would be much appreciated.
    Edit. Just found my vinyl No 8. That's the Solti boxed.

Zafu and TonyACT like this.
  3. Mild Mavis

I see that the Barbirolli box is only £14.50 on Presto. Oh dear, my poor wallet.

George P and TonyACT like this.
  4. Mild Mavis

Just listening to this No 5 on Qobuz and I love it.:righton:

Paul Dray, George P and TonyACT like this.
  5. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

In my experience most Eloquence releases have good to excellent sound, particularly the Australian ones (I'm not being the least bit patriotic there :cool:).

A few from Germany have AMSI remastering which is more controversial around the net.

Paul Dray, George P and Mild Mavis like this.
  6. flyingdutchman

Nice thing about Barbirolli's recordings on Qobuz is that most have been remastered in high resolution.

Paul Dray, TonyACT and Mild Mavis like this.
  7. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

that’s funny I’ve just picked up one of these Eloquence range cds for my collection too:

[​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I bet that's great. Grumiaux is my favorite violinist.

TonyACT, Mild Mavis and Paul Dray like this.
  9. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

Yeah it’s fantastic. A must own. Anything by Grumiaux is pretty much great

TonyACT and George P like this.
  10. drh

drh Talking Machine

I don't know about that cover photo, though. That animal looks nervous--I think it suspects he has ideas of catgut in the back of his mind... :yikes:

For the benefit of those who've joined us since last I mentioned him, my "great discovery" of a few years back was violinist Max Rostal, prize pupil of Carl Flesch. There's a fine collection of radio studio recordings on Melo Classics that I recommend highly:

[​IMG]

Note: these recordings were made in studio for broadcast; they aren't airchecks. The sound quality is quite good for the period. Best way to get it is straight from the company; link here: Max Rostal plays Bach, Beethoven, Biber, Brahms, Mozart and Paganini - Meloclassic CD

Bevok, TonyACT and George P like this.
  11. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I have the Sixth and the Lieder, both of which I enjoy a lot. This box is so darn cheap it might be worth the duplication to get the rest.

12. George P

Absolutely! I had everything in the box except the First Symphony, but the space it would save me and the improvement in sound made it well worth picking up.

TonyACT and JuniorMaineGuide like this.
  13. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Barbirolli's incredible recording of Mahler's 6th symphony from the above new box set.

Bevok, JuniorMaineGuide and TonyACT like this.
  14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning this digital era Strauss from Karajan. Some praise for it earlier and I agree. It is a great Zarathustra. As good as 1974 which is highly praised?
    [​IMG]

Bevok, TonyACT and George P like this.
  15. George P

I always loved that cover!

For Strauss, I have this 2CD set:

[​IMG]

Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

That set has the 1974 Zarathustra. I think I like it more than the digital era performance.

17. George P

Then I chose wisely:)

TonyACT and Rose River Bear like this.
  18. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Nice set; I really like this recording of the Alpensinfonie, one of the better of his later conducting performances in my opinion.

George P likes this.
  19. George P

Thanks, I bought it in my early days of collecting classical. Back then, I had very little money, so every purchase had to be carefully chosen. These days I have plenty of money but no space. :laugh:

TonyACT likes this.
  20. Rose River Bear

I agree. That is my favorite Alpine.

TonyACT likes this.
  21. flyingdutchman

Yes! How Also Sprach Zarathustra should be done. The hammer blows are terrifying.

TonyACT and Rose River Bear like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

That is a great compilation. I have been listening to the Zarathustra from that set and even though some may say the strings sound more harsh on the 1974, the recording really brings out the overtones which is critical to the work. Especially in the first part. The minor drop and major lift really stands out on the 1974.

23. George P

TonyACT likes this.
  24. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

We seem to have had a bit of discussion about Karajan lately. If anyone is interested in reading more about him, I found this to be a pretty even-handed and very readable account:

[​IMG]

Mild Mavis and George P like this.
  25. Rose River Bear

I have read some of that but it has been a while. That is the most comprehensive takes on the symphony recordings I have read.

Mild Mavis, TonyACT and George P like this.