SH Spotlight "Cecilia Ann" by the Pixies, yes, I wrote & recorded the song as The Surftones with my buddy Frosty

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Inertia by The Hustlers, 1964. The inspiration for the "sound" of Cecilia Ann..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  2. Steve Hoffman

Another one that I dug. These guys couldn't keep time worth a darn. Still love it.

3. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I was one of the 10 people who bought that disc since it featured tracks from the Downey label which is big with us surf collectors.
    For years I was searching for a 45 single of Cecilia Ann by the Surftones on Midget with all these collectors giving me weird looks, at least they came though with the Bongo Teens album on Original Sound. I'm surprised it wasn't bootlegged in Europe for all those surf collectors. You had me fooled. Excellent comp too.

4. Steve Hoffman

Midget. That was the name of the label. How I came up with that I cannot remember.

5. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

Midget Farrelly was a pro surfer from the '60s. Btw, I was also one of the 1o people who bought this CD in 1989.

DRM likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Thanks for that!

UCLASNYD and Michael like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

By the way, anyone who has this actual record, I think it's worth the big bucks.. Just a head's up.

I've never seen a copy of it in real life..

UCLASNYD, MAYBEIMAMAZED and Michael like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Ah, the original Cecilia Ann!

9. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Beautiful. Love the surf tune too. Roll Over Fauré!

10. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

That is an absolute awesome story, and I can't wait to breakout my copy.

MitchLT likes this.
  11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

12. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Picked up the Pixies Purple tape today on orange vinyl and our host is listed as the mastering engineer. All it has are GZ runouts but trying to find info on the vinyl release and I stumbled upon this thread and found out one of my favorite mastering engineers wrote a song covered by one of my favorite bands. So cool! So Steve did you cut metal parts or did you do the CD and discogs just has incorrect information @Steve Hoffman?

punkmusick likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Kevin Gray and I did it for Frank Black. That was a fun day!

14. Steve Hoffman

Just walked by and asked Alexa to play "Cecilia Ann" by The Surftones. She did. Man, it sounds great with the channels combined. Still amuses me.

Did I mention it in this thread? There are TWO versions of "SURF LEGENDS (And Rumors)" out there. The first pressing had PIPELINE on it, the second one didn't. The Wenzel's contract said that they owned PIPELINE and they did, but only for Southern California. Andy at MCA Records called me, explained and we agreed to take it off on the next run. To my surprise, there actually was a "next run" and we removed PIPELINE. However, for whatever reason, MCA let us keep BOSS/Rumblers on there even though they owned that too. Quite nice of them, actually..

In the collector 45 world this is why you can find PIPELINE by the Chantays on the blue DOWNEY records label and also on the DOT label. Now you know that the blue DOWNEY version was only sold in good old sunny Southern California.

UCLASNYD, katstep, John B and 7 others like this.
  15. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Did Charles bring the beer?

16. Steve Hoffman

This is giving me flashbacks!

Plan9, MAYBEIMAMAZED and punkmusick like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

This guy is good too! Glad our little record inspired so many guitar players.

punkmusick likes this.
  18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

This is indicating, at least to me, that you obviously have a need for another Jazzmaster in your life.

19. Steve Hoffman

I know, tempting.

The original G&L guitar that was used for lead on CECILIA ANN I gave to an old girlfriend. It had a wicked sound.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have both versions...: )

21. Steve Hoffman

Me too!

UCLASNYD and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

when I heard there were 2 back then I had to have both!
    I figured you would have both as well! I love stuff like that makes it extra special having both versions.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  23. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I got lucky and purchased the one with Pipeline, in Canada sometime in the 80s.

Pipeline was the only song I knew, then. There are a few others that I grew to love. Great album!

UCLASNYD likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

There are some cool songs on there, for sure. I love the sound of that stuff..

UCLASNYD and John B like this.
  25. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

The revival of this thread prompted me to finally buy this CD! I just grabbed a mint copy of the one with Pipeline on it. It's appropriate that it'll ship from Redondo Beach.

UCLASNYD likes this.