Elvis Presley: The Movies - Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bink, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Surprised this is still under the music forum and not Visual Arts

croquetlawns likes this.
  2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well Elvis was a musician and these were mostly musical movies, but I would be happy for anyone to request it be moved if it's causing any issues.

RSteven likes this.
  3. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Lol no issues and I'd rather it be here. I was just saying

RSteven and Bink like this.
  4. Bink

King Creole

Year of release: 1958
    Studio: Paramount
    Director: Michael Curtiz

Plot:
    19 year old Danny Fisher (Elvis) gets a job as a nightclub singer against his father's wishes. He is embroiled in the criminal world and is torn between the affections of 2 women.

Songs:
    Crawfish
    Steadfast, Loyal and True
    Loverdoll
    Trouble
    Dixieland Rock
    Young Dreams
    New Orleans
    Hard Headed Woman
    King Creole
    Don't Ask Me Why
    As Long As I Have You

Trailer:

Jimmy B., RSteven, rkt88 and 2 others like this.
  5. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

"Jailhouse rock" is my #1 Elvis movie but "King Creole" remains my favorite soundtrack. It is not only that 50s voice (the edge is still there) but also all that (rhythm and) blues (TROUBLE, CRAWFISH) plus those touches of jazz (NEW ORLEANS). Just awesome. The title song is spectacular too.

The movie is great too, easily top 3 with Jailhouse rock and Flaming star.

RSteven, rkt88, Madlove and 1 other person like this.
  6. Another great Elvis film. IIRC he was given a two month deferment from his first day in the army so as to complete filming. I watched this when the Blu-ray was released and IMO the picture on it is the best the film has looked on physical home video. I recall something about a 4K resolution version available to stream but I don’t remember details. Pity that the 4K version wasn’t released on disc.

Also, while the original film has an aspect ratio of 1:78:1 the Blu-ray has a ratio of 1:85:1. This is minor, but - as it’s minor - why even bother? I believe the original camera negative no longer survives and that a 35mm print was used so maybe that had something to do with it?

7. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field

I recently watched the Blu-ray and was so amazed at the picture quality and the sound. It’s the best I’ve ever seen and heard. Wow.

Jimmy B., RSteven and Shawn like this.
  8. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

love king creole music. jumpin' like a catfish on a pole!

Jimmy B. and RSteven like this.
  9. Madlove

There’s a telegram from producer Hal Wallis to the Colonel letting him know about the audience reaction to the film. He said King Creole received the most applause and it would be a mistake for it not to be the single. Strange they picked Hard Headed Woman for the single and cut the full performance from the film.

RSteven, Shawn and artfromtex like this.
  10. Madlove

Interesting too I read that Elvis didn’t think the songs were strong enough to be an album, thus the two EPs and single. When they eventually released the LP, I think Steadfast Loyal and True was the only addition.

RSteven, Shawn and PepiJean like this.
  11. Bink

When I watched the movie yesterday, having not watched it in a while, I was thinking that the song Danny would be included, but it wasn't. I can see it was included as a bonus track on one of the reissues of the album.

I certainly agree with those people who have already said that King Creole was one of his best movies, if not the best. It allowed him to showcase his acting skills as well as his ability as a musical performer.

Indeed, what occurs to me from watching all his 50's movies again is that the musical performances are all done in a natural way - they are part of the story in his role as a performer. We do not suddenly see him breaking into song in a fantasy way as they do in other musicals.

I do think Loving You, Jailhouse Rock and King Creole do a great job at representing Elvis at the beginning of his career as well as the birth of rock and roll.

What I think is noticeable about those early movies is that Elvis brilliantly captured the essence of a teenager - vulnerable, angry, complex. What is interesting is that when he returns to movies after his stint in the army, he portrays a much different type of persona - a little more worldly wise.

JimmyCool, RSteven, PepiJean and 2 others like this.
  12. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Just noticed this thread, so some quick input.

Love Me Tender - an OK debut, easing him into acting. The soundtrack songs are pretty weak.

Loving You - a great film and fantastic soundtrack. It also gives a decent idea of what Elvis was like as a live performer.

Jailhouse Rock - I always found the move back to black and white odd. But an excellent film and killer soundtrack. It's a shame that the second half of the film is all ballads.

King Creole - a mature film with good acting from Elvis, and probably his best soundtrack.

Dave112, PH416156, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Loving You was sold outright to NBC being his only color film from the fifties. They made a big thing out of running it on the network with a handful of stars giving memories of Elvis during the breaks.
    The film was licensed to Goodtimes on DVD and was out of print soon after. Wide screen and pristine(with the Elvis memories as an extra). It MAY have been reissued by someone since I last checked. I know the Goodtimes DVD went for stupid money. I got a used copy for 20 bucks. Lucky me!

I tried to do this in the video thread some years ago but it died from lack of interest. I have everything on DVD.

RSteven, Shawn and Bink like this.
  14. Bink

15. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

In case anyone isn't aware, Audio Fidelity released the King Creole soundtrack on hybrid SACD mastered by Kevin Gray (AFZ 160). A great sounding 22 minutes of music!!!!

Madlove likes this.
  16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Maybe you saw Harum Holiday? That was the title outside the US for some reason.

RSteven likes this.
  17. Bink

I don't think I have seen it, but you never know. Once I get to it I might suddenly remember it.

18. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Best scene from the movie.
    The Song is in my own top 5:

5. Long black limousine
    4. Heartbreak hotel
    3. Trouble
    2. If i can dream
    1. Mystery train

RSteven and Bink like this.
  19. Bink

Don't Ask Me Why:

Shawn, RSteven and PepiJean like this.
  20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

King Creole is probably my favorite Elvis movie or at least the first one that comes to mind when I recommend an Elvis movie to someone else. There are probably other Elvis movies I've seen more times (Viva Las Vegas or Follow That Dream), but King Creole is arguably the finest movie Elvis ever made. The soundtrack is just stupendous, with some fantastic horn charts to go with some outstanding rhythm & blues and even some flirtation with New Orleans Jazz as @PepiJean mentions in his fine observations on the merits of the soundtrack. This is what happens when you pair Elvis with an Oscar winning director ( Michael Curtiz of Casablanca fame) and some outstanding Leiber & Stoller song material. I never get tired of seeing or hearing Elvis sing Trouble, but the title track is a winner as well.

Academy Award winning co-star Walter Matthau has spoken very highly of Elvis over the years, both in regards to his potential as a very fine actor as well as being underestimated for his innate intelligence. If only Tom Parker had followed this quality and combination of surrounding Elvis with a great director, a great cast and superior script throughout Elvis's theatrical career.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Jimmy B., Shawn, croquetlawns and 2 others like this.
  21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Returning for the moment to Loving You, this DVD is a pirate and is sucky quality. Also not widescreen
    [​IMG]
    If you can find it THIS is the one you want. Currently about 120 bucks.
    [​IMG]

Jimmy B., Dave112, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

really love Jailhouse Rock!

RSteven, Bink and PepiJean like this.
  23. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Some consider that scene like the very first video clip.
    Stone classic.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Yes It is! and does qualify IMO...

RSteven, croquetlawns and PepiJean like this.
  25. Bink

New Orleans:

RSteven and croquetlawns like this.