Receiver needs servicing..........hope I don't have to replace it

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, Aug 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

Tech wup me today saying the unit finally exhibited the faut, but he was unable to diagnose it properly, so I'd have to com pick it up asap, because it was ¨too much work for him ¨:realmad:, and ¨he wasn't up to putting that many working hours intosuch an old unit¨:cussing:. I'd told him beforehand I was more than willing to fork up whatever money he'd charge for even a complete rebuild, which I reminded him of on my wup response. He referred me to a colleague who, and I quote ¨will be expensive and might take a long time to repair the unit¨ . Turns out ¨expensive was only U$110:laugh: so I immediately said yes, so I have to wait for the colleague to answer.

Big BUT : if the problems lies ¨at the output stage¨ spare parts are ¨nearly unobtanium¨:cussing:

Man; what a curse living in the 3d World is:shake:

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  2. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

OP is in Argentina. I think he already said they don't really do new caps and these sorta overall overhauls.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Ok so just googled Buenos Aires stereo......and yep you have a real problem my friend....might have to expand your geographical horizons....good luck bud.

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

May have to put the Technics SU-V5 at the heart of the system. Eying some used and new amps just in case.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I feel your pain, but with Cerebral Palsy and muscles gone wild. I've successfully moved a Fisher Custom Electra, all 233 pounds as part of the two strong man lift. On Pioneer, I draw the line at the SX 1250 or 1280. I can still move a SX 980 or a SX 1050 by myself. But bear in mind I am an adaptive athlete and fitness freak, and survived Adaptive Crossfit without killing myself or my helpers.

Tommyboy and bluemooze like this.
  6. The Pinhead

UPDATE : tech called today to tell me he might have isolated the problem to a bad transistor in the power source. I practically had to beg him to take the job. There's hope and the estimate will be some 150 bucks. Fingers crossed.

7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

8. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

$150 to get it running sounds like a good deal. Good luck!

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Two of my best acquisitions are: A pair of pro grads furniture moving dollies with carpeted cross pieces and a very good quality hand truck with decent size wheels and strong tubular welded construction. The simple act of moving a few cases of wine from the car trunk intro the house is made easy. As is the the 42 lb. each cartons of cat litter (we have 4) that are needed every few months. Add to this a few bungy cords to strap things with. I am 75 and know what you have to deal with.

OhHiMahk likes this.
  10. The Pinhead

Thanx, but I live on a 1st floor, no elevator. Add to that bad knees, a bad back, bad shoulders, etc. I had to hire muscle. Luckily I can afford it.

McLover likes this.
  11. The Pinhead

The old hog is back,as good as new. Repaired, but not overhauled, for U$ 150 (a month's rent in Argentina). I can now :

Get a grand for it (peopl pay that kind of money for vintage here) and buy a Rotel 1570 for U$ 1500 or a 1572 for U$2700 ?

Keep using the Pioneer it till it breaks down for good, be that when it may. Does the Rotel compare to mine sonically ? Maybe too expensive an amp for my lowly Klipsch F2s ? (no I can't afford new speakers) Sadly no Outlaw down here.

The 1570 has pre out/power in, and that would allow me to connect my processors, but it's a 2013 model. The owner doesn't have proof of purchase to verify his claim that he bought it 3 years ago and used it very little, sells because he'll move abroad (very suspicious) but both the remote and frontal buttons look like new.

With a brand new 1572, I could listen to vinyl altering the tone with only the bass and treble controls, and would not be able to bypass the processors the way I can now (by just setting tape monitor to off.

Any thoughts ?

12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I can't offer any thoughts about Rotel but glad you *finally* got this thing fixed and returned!

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

Thanx man !:righton: Maybe I should start a thread on Rotel amps tomorrow.

14. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Sounds like the OP amp might be faulty or the power supply

15. The Pinhead

It was, but not anymore.:righton:

16. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

So.. since you posted this thread it's been fixed than...?

17. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Yep he posted up a few hours before you did.

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. OhHiMahk

OhHiMahk The search function is your friend

@The Pinhead Im not sure I would upgrade. Because the new Rotel might be a side grade. It will probably sound cleaner, but that doesn’t mean it will be better across the board. So the only way I’d do it personally would be if I could audition it at home for a couple days before committing, and that might be hard where you live.

19. The Pinhead

Indeed man; no such thing here. Plus; I'd have to sell the Pioneer first, not for lack of money, but of space.

OhHiMahk likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

My receiver broke down again, after just listening to roughly 4 hours of music in the course of 9 days since I brought it back from the tech's (a 90 kms drive) I called the guy, sending him a video of the amp failing (intermittently again) and the guy said bring it in again, but no guaranties I will be able to fix it, and no money back if he can't, or if it fails again when back again at home. Not what we'd agreed, but the old crock says he ¨deserves¨ the money because he spent a lots of hours, cleaned everything, adjusted bias and gain, and repaired something faulty at the power supply. Whatever he fixed broke down again, or there's something else failing, or both (cascade failure?)

We'd (verbally) agreed he'd charge me a small fee if he DIN'T find the source of the problem, and returned it broken, or 150 bucks for a SUCCESSFUL repair. I guess people twist their words to fit their own interests. So 150 bucks down (a month's rent in Argentina) and will have to take the 90km round trip twice again, all this with NO GUARANTEES:shrug:. Unfeckinbelievable how some people don't have a word. I've trusted this guy since 2007, when I bought my floorstanders and sub from him; I bought other stuff like cables, another set of floorstander speakers for my HT, had him repair and service several audio components, and even sent friends with their stuff for repair to his brick and mortar shop. And this is how I'm repaid. Buying online from now on; no wonder why everybody else is doing it.

21. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

That sounds really frustrating. I agree that if I paid someone a month's rent to fix something I'd expect a great deal more than "no guarantees". Sorry to hear that your sonic world is out of sorts. Maybe the silver lining is actually a new silver amp?

22. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Sounds like repair is a non - starter in your area. Seems you should be looking at new going forward.

The Pinhead likes this.
  23. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Dang. This sounds like it won't end well. I am really sorry. I would be frustrated out of my mind. I hope that you figure something out soon so that you can get back to listening to music. Life is too short.

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. AL01

AL01 Eh?

I'd get rid of it at this point, but sometimes I get a little illogical.

Get it repaired and flip it as-is...

The Pinhead likes this.
  25. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

He sounds tough or in a bad mood.
    You like your SX-980.
    I would give him the second shot at it.
    Those things do happen.
    (I once sent a particular item in, by mail, FIVE times to the manufacturer [well known company "M"] for ever different repairs under warranty, then I demanded a full refund of what I paid [new at dealer] from the manufacturer, and I got that full refund from that manufacturer. I don't know if I would ever go five times again, but I would two times, for a piece I liked.)

For the Rotel listing you mentioned, you could get the serial number and contact Rotel to see if they have any record of it for anything.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.