Yes Union Live 30 disc megaset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonylevin'ssuitcase, Feb 26, 2021.

1. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Depends - does the "very tight fit" refer to how the LPs are wedged into the case, or how the case is wedged into the shipping box? If it's the latter, then you can play it safe by tearing apart the shipping box rather than trying to work the case loose from it. Looking at the photos of the vinyl set, the LPs appear to be in a box that opens at the front, rather than a skinny little slit at the top. It can't be that hard to get them out.
    [​IMG]

If the LPs are indeed tightly crammed into the case, you only really need to get them out once, and then store them separately afterwards, using the box to hold the DVD and memorabilia.

Fred1 and imarcq like this.
  2. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Thanks. I actually didn't consider that they meant the outer packaging. As long as they didn't already damage the box while shipping because it was too close to the edge.... ;)

Instant Dharma likes this.
  3. Trevor Baxter

Trevor Baxter Member

Daniel Earnshaw did a lot of the work to get Peter Banks music released after he died. He administers the Peter Banks Musical Estate. I don’t what his connection is to the Union 30 release, but I would guess he could be involved in Yes’ legal affairs.

Scottb likes this.
  4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

ISWYDT

imarcq likes this.
  5. imarcq

According to my music glue account, the vinyl box was shipped on 30th July? However, this can't be as the release date is also listed as 27th September! Unless they shipped in 30 August, put the wrong date? That would also explain the above email regarding the package. So far I've not had any kind of shipping confirmation. I've written to music glue for a few answers!

6. imarcq

It looks like the vinyl box DID ship....but on 30 August, not 30 July. And I still didn't get a notification. Bad news (if you are in UK) it's shipped via the feared Yodel....so could show up anytime or anywhere! :(

7. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Browsing Spotify Europe, Union studio album is not available are there any lawsuits or such? I remember liking Union quite a bit in the early 90's partly because it was the dawn of the CD and it sounded "great" on my friends massive home stereo with larger than life Cerwin-Wegas

8. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Would be interested to know if it is mastered especially for Vinyl in any way and whether it sounds any different from the CD/digital version

9. imarcq

Something tells me it's going to be the same as the CD/Digital mastering. I'll know soon enough. As long as I enjoy the sound it's not a problem.

10. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Yes - Union 30 - Yes – Shoreline Amphitheatre, 8th Aug 1991
    I can't tell from the listing whether the CDs simply replicate the music on the DVD (as with the 2011 release), or whether they have the added tracks found on the box set (Lift Me Up, Shock to the System, and half of And You And I from Shoreline, and the Drum Duet and Changes from Burgettstown). The track list on the website just lists what's on the DVD, but there have been errors before and the set is already mastered with the extra tracks.

Do we have an answer on this yet?

kanakaris likes this.
  11. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Which half of Wembley is good?

12. SJB

Disc 1 (starting with "Rhythm of Love") is from a Westwood One recording. Disc 2 is an audience tape, which doesn't sound awful, but it's not professional quality.

13. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

I'm reading elsewhere about mislabeled track names ("Tony Kaye Solo #2" from Munich is actually "Changes", "Steve Howe Rehearsing" is actually Trevor Rabin, etc.) - this is a lack of attention to detail, that should not be the case with anything official, much less something of this scope.

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

To be fair, "anything official" in a situation where multiple shows were recorded to multitrack shouldn't consist of easily-available audience recordings and amateur FM captures to begin with.

15. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Is there anything on this that sounds better than sources we already have? Seems like a big disappointment from what I'm reading.

16. Deploderer

Deploderer Member

I feel like I have been duped. I originally saw this in one of Ricks video's and assumed it was an official release. However having stumbled upon this thread when googling info on news of it's actual release I now read that this may be a grey market rip off. I bought the Yes - Union 30 4 x Vinyl Disc Box Set and as you all know have only recieved the odd delay email ever since. I sure hope the quality of the vinyl sound is better than the customer service, but somehow I doubt it.

17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I have the old Union Live set which has 2 CD's with the audio from the Shoreline Show as well as 2 DVD's that have the Shoreline show and another show. So I'm trying to figure out if I should buy this new DVD/CD set. Is the video that much better then the older release? Also do the CD's sound better on this new set compared with the older set.

Thanks

18. SJB

There are typos in various places, such as songwriter credits, and in the booklet, at one point "Intro/Firebird Suite" somehow became "Intro D Suite," and some of the track divisions are odd. As noted, sometimes the first 90 seconds of "Changes" are credited as "Tony Kaye Solo," but a few discs actually have a Tony Kaye Solo. Sometimes Steve's solo is called "Clap," more often "Clap/Mood for a Day," although most of the performances don't include "Mood for a Day."

It's absolutely a shame that most of the multi-track recordings appear to be lost or unavailable, and the quality control issues are frustrating, but I wouldn't say that this qualifies as a gray market release. Yes could have denounced this release (as Chris did when the Syn released its Armistice Day project) or simply ignored it, but, as noted earlier, Yes's own official website and Twitter page both announced the release and provided sales links. So they (or at least their organization) know about the release and actively promoted it. A while back, Howe had mentioned the possibility of a Progeny-style box set of the Union tour, though it's not clear whether this is what he was talking about.

In a perfect world, the tapes turn up and we get those, instead of audience recordings of Jon telling the crowd "we are recording tonight!" In the meantime, at least the band gets some kind of royalties from this set (even if it's just songwriting royalties), which they definitely would not get from underground MP3 trading.

19. Deploderer

Deploderer Member

You're probably right. It's probably the many delays, lack of information and like other people here, apparently shipped in July but now released late September that is giving me cause for concern. I'll reserve judgment until it arrives whenever that might be. I have found a contact number for them and plan on calling tomorrow.

20. imarcq

They shipped the vinyl last week. I emailed Glue to ask why account said shipped in 30 July. They didn't explain the error but sent a Yodel tracking link. However each time I check the link it says they are waiting to receive the parcel. So they've obviously ordered all the postage, but probably haven't actually shipped them yet. If I were you I would email Glue and ask if yours is amongst them, and for a tracking number, which hopefully will start tracking soon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  21. Deploderer

Deploderer Member

Thanks. Music Glue suggested that last night and so I did. Found them on Facebook , messaged, got a reply this morning, they'll deal with my email on Monday. I also found their phone number through Discogs so may call them on Monday as well. :)

imarcq likes this.
  22. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

If these are packed “very tight” the chances are the vinyl could be warped or dished. Then the question is how to return them if they are. Yeah, considering that everything is already available, seems more and more fishy. I was originally very interested in this but looks like a cash grab.

23. imarcq

Hopefully you'll get an update soon. If not you simply raise an issue via the music glue order page. I clicked on it not received, and added a short message. That then gets sent on to the seller, who reply with an email addressing the concern. In my case they sent a tracking number that hasn't moved on in 5 days. But then you can reply directly to that email, as I have now done. The initial reason given for the delay was supposedly scarcity of raw material for the vinyl pressing.

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I received my Yes Union Live 30 box and have only played CD #1 so far, which is sub-bootleg quality. I mean, PU. So I bailed.
    Is there anything resembling good sound quality to be heard in this box? Please be specific.
    Thank you.

25. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Do you have the 2011 set with 2 DVD's and 2 CD's? I'm trying to find out if this new set has improved the audio and video for the Shoreline show.

Many Thanks