Your most recent system tweak, did it help or hurt the sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by draden1, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Don't know if this counts as a tweak but my audio dealer just gave me a panel to try out behind my listening seat and it really didn't take long for me to decide this will be staying (after deciding on size, colour)!

[​IMG]

2. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

I have the clever clamp and only ever used it when I had to.
    I just bought a weight anyway and am trying it now...

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

I finally (after years of trying) dialed in my Vandersteen 3A's. What a difference, now finally I can just sit back and enjoy the tunes.

M~

Doctor Fine, draden1 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  4. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

I'm loathe to say it in these parts, but I just got a PS Audio Stellar Powerplant 3
    that made everything better. Everything.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    jonwoody, senna1a, draden1 and 2 others like this.
  5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Why shy? It’s a great product but not exactly a tweak.

JohnK

6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Another platform story: for the last couple of years I’ve had Symposium Ultra platform under my VPI, but a month or so ago I realized I wasn’t enjoying LPs quite as much. Everything seemed a bit lifeless. I had an old Terra Stone platform and for yucks went through the process of tearing down my TNT and putting it back on the TS. Surprise, surprise, the life was back. Another example that there can be too much or the wrong kind of isolation.

JohnK

draden1 and Ingenieur like this.
  7. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Lowered my SL1200GR tonearm. Seemed to reduce brightness a bit (wasn't objectionable before) smoothed out sax and trumpet sound.
    Improved bass impact.

mkane and draden1 like this.
  8. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Replaced my 2” thick absorption only panels with 4” thick absorption panels having a scatterplate on the face. If you’ve ever heard people talk about deadening a room, well, I did it. It was immediately noticeable as the high end magic was missing, lyric intelligibility went up though.

A little troubleshooting where I took two of the 5 new panels down has brought back the extension. I then put one of the panels on the ceiling between the main seat and speakers, aligning it with the main seat. After 1 session with the current configuration I can hear a deeper soundstage and the lyric intelligibility is better too.

Awesome upgrade!

Doctor Fine and rednedtugent like this.
  9. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I have owned Vandersteen 1b,2ci,3a,3a signatures and quatro signatures and yep loved them all,but Vandersteens setup instructions need to be followed...the "window" in the horizontal plane must be adhered to for best results.

draden1 likes this.
  10. draden1

Anyone here use caps to cover their unused inputs/outputs? I was recently gifted a set of 12 Cardas RCA caps which I installed on all open plugs on my preamp and amp. Not expecting anything, my first listening session with them was quite interesting. Music was slightly louder as my normal starting volume felt like it was a few clicks higher than normal. Also, vocals were slightly clearer and instrument separation was ever so slightly increased. What a great gift!

This quote is from The Absolute Sound and in my short experience, I totally agree. "Pop these RCA shorting plugs into your preamplifier's unused inputs and you'll hear a blacker background, more micro-dynamics detail, and an overall cleaner sound."

11. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

They look cool and neat when you cap them. The time you wanna use them atleast its clean. I have a hard time cleaning RCA input especially if they are oxidize. Not really a match made in heaven feeling for a high dollar RCA inter-connect.
    [​IMG]

jonwoody and draden1 like this.
  12. draden1

Nice pic! I am also amazed that you are using both tape 1 and 2, I don’t know anyone that uses them.

13. Classic Car Guy

I us them for 2 recorders and equalization blending. Tape monitor feature.

14. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I've been curious about these. I'm glad to hear they're working out for you.

draden1 likes this.
  15. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Yup, it got rid of a annoying low level 60cycle hum now all is well...

[​IMG]

16. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Moved my Cornwalls back into the corners, the big bass is back!

timind, mkane and draden1 like this.
  17. draden1

Replaced IsoAcoustic Orea feet for my turntable with a Townshend Audio platform. Not a subtle difference, everything is clearer and the soundstage doesn’t feel bigger, it’s just that everything inside it is more alive and easier to hear. Not sure how that works but that’s the most accurate way I can describe what happened.

If there are folks on the fence about trying isolation products, they really do work and I wholeheartedly recommend trying some. My route with isolation has been getting a new rack, Orea feet for tt and components, and now the Townshend platform for the tt. Each step brought more enjoyment but the platform is the best yet, amazing.

For anyone interested, I’m in a carpeted basement that’s on a concrete slab.

I’m now in the process of getting Townshend Pods for all of my gear.

LakeMountain, jonwoody and timind like this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

I like the cream puff record. :-plnktn-:

19. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I don't tweek.

If I did it... it would be a BBE-462 Sonic Maximizer.

I have two of them. My wife uses one on her rig. Sure 'wakes up' vintage equipment!!! Makes the music sound simply outstanding.

Way more than a tweek - it's an ' awakening '.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    moops, SteveFord and Boltman92124 like this.
  20. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

It's Actually a transparant record with a cognac coloured mat underneath ;).
    As for the tweak mentioned, I ended up adapting the audio cabinet, buying other speakers and moving the Tv towards the center...much better :D.

21. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

After watching a particularly well-explained video on YT, I have for the first time been able to grasp what a ground loop is. Never though that day would dawn ... :rolleyes: :laugh:

I went through my setup with a multimeter, mapping continuities, and realized that I had a ground loop between my DAC and amp, so I disconnected the earth lead from the power cable to the DAC. I didn't expect much because I have very good earth and absolutely no problems with hum. Nevertheless, while it wasn't night and day, there was a welcome improvement. More transparency, being able to hear small details better, and more musical energy somehow.

22. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

Magnarisers.
    Liked them so much for the LRS' I ordered a pair for the 3.7s.
    [​IMG]

bever70 and ayrehead like this.
  23. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

After going off the deep about my system the last 10 days this thread made me feel right at home. Thank you all for being nuts. Let's party.

24. Classic Car Guy

You miss those nipple twisting like the raven threading we had.. Pretty sure they'll make a new different one anytime soon. :-plnktn-:

25. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

You been up all night drinkin?

Mang, jonwoody and Harris11235 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.