Only Murders In The Building- Steve Martin/ Martin Short series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Jun 22, 2021.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The later scene with Nathan Lane tells us that he really wasn't that young in the flashback, just trying to act younger. ("Again, you were almost 60.")

The scene with Steve Martin on his TV show looked sillier to me. But I think it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm really enjoying this program so far. Great performance from Martin Short. Give the man an Emmy.

mmars982 and longdist01 like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ehhhhh... very hard to make an actor look 15 years younger. I bought into it, though I would've cranked up the face-softening key more.

longdist01, ex_mixer and Dan C like this.
  4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am betting that feeling ( re: Gomez)you are talking about is a result of her character and that we shall learn more as we go.

mmars982 likes this.
  5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I'm jealous that others are enjoying this. I was looking forward to it. After two episodes, the story looks like it might be interesting (even though it seems to be going in the direction of a standard "who's next?" murder mystery) and the acting is as good as can be expected considering the flat script. I'd like a bit more snap in the dialogue, and throwing in a "**** you" and a lame sexual joke here and there doesn't cut it for me. Neither do the Neil Simon-style jokes ("It wouldn't be the first time somebody committed murder over real estate in New York."). Speaking of "style", it might have been the trite 1970s Woody Allen-ish opening sequence that got me off on the wrong foot with this one.

jonathan, Scotian and ex_mixer like this.
  6. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I will say I've definitely seen worse. Some of the ones in Dexter made me cringe.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Where was the Nathan Lane cameo?

8. parman

parman Music Junkie

Is this on HULU?

9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I believe episode 3. He is in the flashback and shows up later too.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You have to click on the REPORT button, they don't look into each and every thread. Not enough hours in a month.

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Ah. Didn't get to 3 yet. I better stay off this thread till I am caught up.

mmars982 likes this.
  12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

13. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I'm enjoying it less with each episode. The tone seems to be changing. The set design and wardrobe people are doing an amazing job.

Small inconstancy, they make a big deal about how no one can run their fireplace but in an earlier episode Martin Short turns his on. I only remember it because I thought it would be cool to have a remote fireplace control.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    ex_mixer and Vidiot like this.
  14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think that was intentional, and meant to be funny. That Martin Short's character would ignore the notice not to use the fireplace (and that he had a remote for.it).

905, lbangs, cwitt1980 and 1 other person like this.
  15. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I guess I'm too literal. They're all self-important jerks so how would a ban be imposed? If it wasn't why would they complain? Again, minor kvetch for me.

BTW. Supporting cast is great. Always good to see Jackie Hoffman.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  16. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

As always, as soon as I post an opinion, I have to eat my words. I'm watching the 3rd episode now, and she's a lot more lively. And, I did have a suspicion that she was trying not to reveal herself to the other two. Either that, or the director started making her put a little more into the part.

mmars982 and Daedalus like this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Episode 4 was good just now, and maybe we should leave that thread title as it is now ?

18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I like it. It reminds me of an NPR program but with images. It's actually kind of relaxing and reminds me of how shows used to be done. I can go to sleep to it and not wake up to some explosion or super loud intense music.

Stencil and Vidiot like this.
  19. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I love this show. It's nice to see Martin Short in something worthy of him. I love how it's all unwinding and so forth.

My guess on the murderer so far... Amy Ryan!

hyde park and marmalade166 like this.
  20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Just a reminder for everybody.....Gorts don't just go around reading all the threads. For speedy service, please hit the REPORT button. Thanks!

Strat-Mangler, ex_mixer and rmath84 like this.
  21. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the 4th episode so I'm back on board. Playing music with another person really is magical.

22. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I can understand your comments. It's like a parody of a bland PBS drama that they tried to spice up with random F bombs, etc. Is it supposed to appeal to older or younger viewers? I don't know.

I enjoy it as light entertainment, but it's certainly not a great murder mystery.

misterjones likes this.
  23. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

The premise seemed good. I expected better execution. My wife has continued watching it, so I get a summary of the story.

When I see comic actors like Martin and Short these days, I am reminded of movies like Cocoon or The Sunshine Boys. Even if the program or movie is good, it kind of makes me feel old and depressed. Maybe shows like that are for the younger crowd who don’t remember the “wild and crazy guy”. An old George Burns didn’t make me feel sad 40 years ago, but maybe some in my parents’ generation did.

unclefred likes this.
  24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I've only seen the first, and well..Martin and Short are no Matthau and Lemon. The writing was no great shakes either.

jonathan and ex_mixer like this.
  25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

As usual, I seem to be in the minority. We watched two episodes & threw in the towel. I didn't find it funny or entertaining. The Deadwood-lite language was completely unnecessary as well for the genre. I may be getting old & cranky so that may influence my opinion however.

jonathan likes this.