Zavvi "Best of Jazz Starter Kit" 5-LPs $29.99

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by samwisefan, Sep 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samwisefan

samwisefan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Best of Jazz Starter Kit - All Time Classics Albums – Set of 5 Mystery Vinyl LP

Has anyone purchased this 5-LP bundle? Or, per the fine print, one of their previous 6-LP or 10-LP bundles? I'm just curious as to what albums you may have received. I'm intrigued, but I'm not much of a gambler so the grab-bag nature of it worries me. LOL!

I'll be honest that I don't know too much about jazz music, other than what I hear in Woody Allen's films or the Peanuts holiday specials. I'm curious, but I think I'd prefer more piano-led music (a la Vince Guaraldi) than horn-led music. (And vocals would always be a plus.)

2. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

samwisefan likes this.
  3. samwisefan

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

WaxTime and DOL are good pressings? They're CDs pressed onto vinyl and put onto the market by gray market labels.

fluffskul and AnalogJ like this.
  5. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

They aren’t waxtime or DOL. I just mean quite listenable for the money. Definitely not an audiophile AAA pressing but a fun starter set.

ispace, hutlock and samwisefan like this.
  6. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

If you really want to get into jazz go for the Classic Blue Note series they are releasing now. Then you can hear how it's supposed to sound. They aren't that expensive.

samwisefan likes this.
  7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

These are absolutely NOT WaxTime, DOL, or any other such gray market anything. Completely legit pressings, fully licensed, original artwork, etc.

ispace, samwisefan and Strat-Mangler like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Glad that's the case. The linked thread was ambiguous about that.

hutlock likes this.
  9. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Waxtime has original artwork.

10. hutlock

Right. But these aren’t WaxTime pressings so that’s pretty much irrelevant.

Bloom likes this.
  11. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

but what are they? The 75 series from digital files they wanna get rid of?

12. hutlock

Bloom and samwisefan like this.
  13. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

It's been verified to death that these are not grey market tier releases, this should stop every time these packages get announced. Just the basic level of research on this Zavvi kit on a number of boards will confirm this.

Anyway, the Money Jungle and GO releases are mono, which could be a good compliment even if you have the Tone Poet of MJ.

ispace, culabula and hutlock like this.
  14. Jeff

Jeff Forum Resident

I just received my order. I got Miles Davis Sketches Of Spain, Charles Mingus Mingus AH UM, Duke Ellington Money Jungle Mono, Billie Holiday Lady in Satin, Eric Dolphy Out To Lunch.

ispace, samwisefan and Patanoia like this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

WaxTime is also pressed on black vinyl.

hutlock likes this.
  16. samwisefan

Billie Holiday! I'm jealous. I hope I get that one. Or the Getz/Gilberto album. We'll see... Waiting for them to arrive. I own so little jazz music I'm sure they will all be new to me.

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

They are a partwork series with dedicated magazine per issue that was originally available in Italy a few years back then more recently in Ireland and in the UK over a couple of years on a fortnightly basis.

The original run was for 100 LPs, but here in Ireland this was abandoned after 70 issues. The final releases were hard to find even in the newsagents (!) that originally stocked them and so DeAgostini appeared to throw in the towel.

You could of course have been a subscriber and received two releases per month to your door.

They were all pressed by MPO in France and in the main were extremely good. Fine pressings and a great introduction to jazz. When Zavvi first offered ten of them for 30GBP it was an astonishing bargain.

18. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

So the last time I bought the box of 5 for 30 I got two of one album- just bc they specifically say 'no duplicates' I wrote them about it. They did eventually internationally ship me a replacement for free, Billie Holliday- Lady In Satin which I didn't have. It arrived with a bent corner and a split on the spine, but the record is in good condition. Their single LP mailers are trash. All in all, I sold my duplicate LP for half of what the box cost and I just look at this as a bonus so I don't care

samwisefan likes this.
  19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I too got a duplicate the last time.

samwisefan likes this.
  20. throwupmyhands

throwupmyhands Forum Resident

Well my set arrived today:

Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
    Miles Davis – Sketches of Spain
    Eric Dolphy – Out to Lunch
    Billie Holiday – Lady in Satin
    John Coltrane – Blue Train

All came sealed except Lady in Satin, but it was still in Like New condition. I've listened to Lady Day and the first Miles Davis so far and they sound excellent. I'm so excited about this grab I'm tempted to do it again. I'd love to grab Money Jungle, Mingus Ah Um, Go, and Something Else. But who knows. It's a roll of the dice. I could get the same five again.

ispace, hutlock and samwisefan like this.
  21. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

My first thought was this has to be grey market crap... but I trust the word of forum members that it isn't.

The $29.99 price is long gone it seems though?

22. throwupmyhands

throwupmyhands Forum Resident

Ah, so it is. I guess that solves my dilemma whether to buy a second set.

fluffskul likes this.
  23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I purchased a Waxtime album a couple of years ago without knowing anything about them. I was happy with my purchase on both the musical and pressing fronts, but I guess they’re a Buyer Beware experience.

fluffskul and samwisefan like this.
  24. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Yes. The record probably sounds fine. Especially if you are a vinyl only guy. But there's zero reason to get into these grey market vinyl releases if you are open to other formats. The mastering is going to be a flat transfer from an existing digital source CD-quality or some have suggested even mp3-quality less onto vinyl. And the artist's estate isn't being compensated.

Rather than load up on $11.98 waxtime etc... save your hard-earned cash and pay the premium for 1 album from Analogue Productions or Blue Note.

samwisefan likes this.
  25. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

In my case the record was a collection of Roy Orbison’s Sun recordings, which I hadn’t seen a complete set of previously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.