Genesis reunion tour - will it happen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Honestly, I don't think Peter Gabriel sounds all that much better than Phil Collins does today on that track.

ponkine likes this.
  2. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

That would be funny. They'd have to change the billing to "Steve Hackett (but you can't hear him)".

Wright likes this.
  3. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

In 2006, when Genesis were in discussions to reunite, some of you here seem to forget that Gabriel & Hackett were initially going to be part of the 2007 reunion tour (even though Banks brought this up in the new PBS doc). And if that line-up had toured, even without Phil, for example, on this continent, they would've filled arenas in some markets (Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, NYC/NJ, Philly, Chicago, LA, San Fran/Oakland, etc.), but definitely not stadiums. And this is partly because, despite the fact that the '69-'76 catalogue hasn't sold anywhere near as much as the titles from '78-'92, these early albums still sold relatively well, as Genesis were already starting to play arenas in some markets by the mid-'70s before Phil was their primary lead vocalist...

NunoBento likes this.
  4. tengram

tengram Forum Resident

My god--that was so difficult to sit through. I just don't see the point--why is, in particular--Phil doing it? I get he likes hanging out with Michael and Tony. But it was painful sitting through him singing in the rehearsals. It's not just that he can't hit the highs anymore, like he had trouble with in 2007, he can't even hold a tune anymore. The two back up singers can only hide it so much.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

And how great would that have been. A chance to see Genesis live at the Royal Albert Hall doing The Lamb. Talk about a dream.

6. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

The doc left me more looking forward to the show than wary of Phil’s current limitations. Nic looks like the real deal and Tony, Mike and Daryl are sounding good. The backup vocalists are a welcome addition. It is sad to see a diminished Phil, and the early rehearsals were rough, but I have come away feeling they can pull this off.

7. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I feel the same way. The more rehearsals they showed the more I felt good about it.

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  8. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Had many chances to see them from ABACAB onwards, but thought myself above it, my being a superior Genesis fan, not wanting to attend with fair-weather fans, lowered keys... the excuses were many. I am (I believe...) seeing them this time. This is a celebration of a band I really love, a band that has made my life, and so many others better. Excessive gated drums, a brass lead sound for Cinema Show, Phil's diminished vocals, missing seeing my favourite drummer play again, not the set list I want.... I don't care. I got choked up watching the documentary. They sound pretty grand (even at times modern) all things considered.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  9. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Yep. And I still think it's lame that Gabriel chickened out of the tour (and of course, Hackett went with him).

Absolutely. In London, I think that line-up could've done 4 nights at the Royal Albert Hall or 1 night at the O2 Arena.

dubious title and NunoBento like this.
  10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think it was 6 weeks of rehearsals in early 2021 with full filming likely happening at the end.

The UK tour is suppose to start in 2 weeks and Phil might still be in Florida.

Some traveling fans in Europe have to make some complex arrangements and Birmingham/London have some entry rules now posted that don't link up with some Euro vaccine doses and need UK approved testing. If the US dates are the first shows then they really need to announce that.

11. PES

PES Forum Resident

After skimming through the PBS Documentary on the upcoming tour, I have mixed emotions. The playing is good and Phil's voice is a bit weak, but adequate (and certainly better than say Ian Anderson's live vocals these days). But, as. much as I love "Cinema Show", I really think this iteration of the band should drop the medley route for the pre-trio years and just stick with post "And Then There were Three" material. More important though, is what are they going to do with Phil on stage? Hopefully they just won't let him sit there in a chair front and center the whole time. I found it a bit distracting.

12. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

The production looks amazing. That’s reason enough for me to go!

13. SoundAdvice

He'll sit there and maybe do the hand drum solo thing like NDY solo shows. Earlier 2021 teaser videos will show more than enough video tricks to distract away from Mr. Chair. They also have some cool tracking shot cameras around Tony and Nic.

BB King and Solomon Burke did years and years of touring sitting chair with no lack of charisma. Tabloid profile aside, Bill Cosby used to 2 hour plus comedy shows in big venues where it was him in a chair and nothing else. Plus Axl/Grohl using the same throne. I think the Roxette singer did the last tour all chair.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. SoundAdvice

A couple people brought up the drumming comment here and the US thread. I think it Mike TEASING the POSSIBILITY of Phil drumming and hoping fans are OK with some hand percussion.

Similar to how Phil did 2 short performances on tv before the RAH/Hyde/Germany(?) shows a couple years ago and did them standing.

Acceptable showbiz fibbing.

15. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

A few things...

The initial expectations for the "2007 tour" were strictly meant to be centered on the The Lamb album, with the obvious inclusions of both Peter and Steve because it was meant to be a dedicated "5-man" reunion. That was the plan.

The 2007 tour only played three stadium gigs in North America, and those were all in historically major Genesis markets. Heck, the whole N.A. tour was basically planned around arena gigs, and that was with Phil Collins. A "five-man" tour in N.A. would certainly have generated, at the very least, a curiosity within a cross-section of Genesis fans. But there seems to be an overestimation of the interest by an audience for the Gabriel era material amongst certain fans, and a huge underestimation of their later, post Gabriel/Hackett era output. Heck, at this point, does a "Genesis" reunion make any sense without Phil?

Genesis didn't become anything near an "arena" band until the '77 tour. A handful of gigs in prior arena venues were modified, partial capacity events, typically in markets like Toronto or Montreal for example, that would necessitate a venue that would hold a little bit more than a typical theatre (i.e. 2,000-3,000 capacity). Plus, their staging just wasn't set up for a typical arena venue. They simply weren't that big of a band in those days.

I don't mean to misinterpret your comment, but I think there is a bit of context missing here. As I've already mentioned, the plan was for a distinct "five-man" reunion. When Peter backed off, that whole plan ceased to exist, and so Steve's part in the reunion ended as well. Steve didn't so much leave "with him", he simply ended up where he started.

16. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Lets face it, this isn't the Genesis of the late 70's/early 80's. But that's not the point.

These three guys are interested enough to get together again and play a bunch of gigs. And not only that, but they seem committed enough to investing a load of cash to put on a fairly sophisticated show, much like they did in their heyday. I'm not going to see these gigs in expectation of reliving past performances. As a longtime fan I'm going simply to have another chance to celebrate the great music these guys have offered over the years.

17. Musick

Musick Forum Resident

the only thing that doc proved to.me is that Banks is the most important member of Genesis

Zeroninety and LC4O like this.
  18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Phil’s pitch sounds pretty good to me. He just doesn’t have the range, falsetto, and power he used to. He couldn’t handle a “belter” like Squonk now, even if it was in a lower key.

Real gigs might help get a little strength back in his voice. Hard to say until the tour actually happens.

19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I found it interesting and would watch it if it makes it to PBS.

I agree that it wasn’t cool to post it on the ‘tube, but PBS mangles music documentaries with endless pledge breaks. Maybe the premier would be a straight show with no breaks, I don’t know.

20. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

Yes, Phil’s voice has changed, but nevertheless he delivered during most of the clips. He was especially effective on “Land of Confusion” and “Domino”. The band sounds absolutely terrific, meeting every expectation I could have had. Nic fits in perfectly, his drumming very evocative of his dad’s, but still his own style—just as Chester Thompson put his own stamp on Phil’s drum lines. All told, I was rather moved seeing how the present-day Phil Collins was meeting the challenge of performing with Genesis, as the documentary juxtaposed his personal situation with the world’s struggle against Covid-19.

The program truly stirred me. Far, far beyond just knowing Genesis is a performing unit again, and hearing and enjoying the songs’ new arrangements. All told, I was reminded once again why I dearly love this band so much.

21. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Good for you mate, I like your positive attitude.
    :righton:

BrucePadgett likes this.
  22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

A tour with both Phil and Ray fronting different prog and pop segments of the show, with a few duet tracks for good measure, would've been something different and interesting. That would allow the band to present a longer and more career-spanning concert and give Phil plenty of rest every show so that on the songs he performs he can really go for it with nightly stamina being less of a problem.

Not that the three would ever even consider it.

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Wow. I'd like to know what, in his opinion, makes an album qualify for "classic" status.

Wright likes this.
  24. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I think, in their minds, Genesis is either the 3-man '80s lineup or the 5-man Gabriel line-up. As much as there are a number of more interesting variations and possibilities, those two incarnations are what they are fixated on, in terms of their branding or moneymaking potential or whatever.

JulesRules likes this.
  25. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I had to go back and transcribe what he actually said, to see if I maybe paraphrased it wrong. But no:

"A lot of bands like the Floyd have got a couple of huge albums: The Wall, The Dark Side, and [unhearable]. And y'know certain bands have classic albums that are sort of always their best sort of pinnacles that [were] remembered. We never had a classic album; we always had lot of albums, albeit different."

5:24

(Couldn't for the life of me make out what he said after "Dark Side").

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.