Will CD players production be discontinued?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sear, Sep 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

This is something that worries me.. I have hundreds and hundreds of CDs that I still listen everyday

2. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

It's not inconceivable.

Billy Infinity, timind and luckybaer like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You know they play on Blu-Ray players, right? And on computer accessories.
    They should be made for a good while.
    Nothing lasts forever though.
    You can still get a turntable, but good luck getting something to play cassettes, 8 tracks, open reel, Beta, VHS or DAT.

4. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I heard that they are being discontinued tomorrow.

Aladár, mark_j, somnar and 25 others like this.
  5. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

just go to goodwill

6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Already a lot of the companies that made optical disc drive assemblies have gotten out of the production of those. And those are really the parts that fail over time with CD players, so replacing old drive assemblies will mean even old disc players will go out of service. Without drives, audio companies aren't going to be building CD players. It's not like a turntable where you can get an off the shelf motor and bearing, machine a platter and plinth and, voila. There's so much media out there -- computer storage, DVD and Blu-ray, music CD -- that I imagine some sorts of optical disc playback devices will bet around for a long time, but maybe not too many purpose build audio-focused CD players.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    basie-fan, mikeyt, Karnak and 5 others like this.
  7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Get something high end now.
    I got one of those Pioneer UDP-LX800 4k blu ray players that play any format. I should get 30 years out of that one.

The Pinhead, D-rock, mikeyt and 5 others like this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As long as they keep putting optical drives into desktop and laptop computers, at least the excuse won't be that "nobody's making parts for them anymore".

Still, your best defense is, if you like the one you have...replace it with another one just like it, and stick the one you "don't need replaced" into a box for safekeeping until you wear out the new one.

And from then on out...it's your great-grandkids' problem.

Marcev and Pouchkine like this.
  9. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

repair shop near me has many reel to reel players

Ro-Go, Daedalus and audiomixer like this.
  10. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

That's pretty much over too.

11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I mean, other than consumables and things related to basic human needs....with a few exceptions (books, maybe?), there's virtually no product, particularly technological, that will be made forever in its present state.

I would imagine the high-end stuff will be in production far longer than consumer-grade players. It's probably not cost effective at a certain point for companies who make low/mid-cost electronics to keep manufacturing optical drives given that they require unique parts that aren't required for anything else they make. The expensive niche stuff will probably stick around much longer since they only need to sell a small number of units to stay in business. But they also probably aren't really getting a ton of new customers with a long remaining lifespan either, so...

Dillydipper likes this.
  12. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

But I believe externals are still plentiful? I still have a few "in stock" players (including SACD/DVDA)
    in storage.

BruceS and Dillydipper like this.
  13. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

They axed Turntable production in the 90’s and look what happened.

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Another reason why I always buy custom builds. The drives themselves are pretty-much essential to my work, and it's likely I'll get another one before I'm done with my NAS server project.

15. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

I want to believe there's still plenty of cd players out there, enough for a lifetime

16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Now that hardly seems possible.... are they singles?

IRG, Doug_B, fogalu and 3 others like this.
  17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

No. Not in our lifetime. And even if there will be plenty of decent vintage players left to buy. A good quality cd player can last for a very long time.

18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Depends on how old you are.

Anyway, it's hard to predict the future of consumer tech. I'm very confident that they'll be readily available 10 years from now. Am somewhat confident about 20 years from now. Anything after that is based on too many speculative factors.

19. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Reminds me on a sigh at the local bar "free beer tomorrow"

20. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I don't know why they would be discontinued? lot's of people like having the physical product vs a mp3 file

Kundalini, D-rock and siebrand like this.
  21. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Nope as people like us spent lots on box sets we don’t need.

Eleanora's Alchemy, scobb and DK Pete like this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Not only turntable production in high gear but I can’t believe the number of stereo amps still out there. But turntables have gotten crazy…there are models out there going for enough money that they should be able to drive you to work.

Gramps Tom and vinyl diehard like this.
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's certainly getting harder to find affordable models these days. You may be better off going the Blu-ray route.

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

If it happens, it will be because a better method of digital storage of music is invented and rolled out, perhaps one that packs the digital information into a smaller medium with no moving parts, analogous to a USB stick.

25. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

As far as we can tell, CD players to fit my wife's '99 Toyota 4-Runner have been discontinued. Hers is shot and to make it more difficult, she want what what it came with- a cassette player/ CD player combo. Probably not something we will find!

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.