Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

I don't really like "now playing" posts but I just listened to Rubenstein's "Chopin Nocturnes Vol 1" on RCA red label and OMG that guy could play a bit.

2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Just arrived in today's mail: The EMI double-CD set of Poulenc piano works, performed by Gabriel Tacchino.

It's in my CD player this afternoon. The music is instantly familiar, the performance outstanding, the sound is great... I'm in heaven!
    Thank you, George, for pointing me to this set! :righton:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector, TonyACT and Mild Mavis like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

My pleasure, Wes! Glad you are enjoying it! :wave:

Wes H and TonyACT like this.
  4. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I like them, partly for the artwork; but mostly for ideas about new repertoire or performances to explore.

Wes H and George P like this.
  5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

DEBUSSY: Préludes, I & II - Walter Gieseking (Disc one of The Complete Works for Piano, US EMI Classics CD, Musical Heritage Society edition)
    [​IMG]

TonyACT and Wes H like this.
  6. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Weissenberg's emotionally cool, modern approach to this works. I don't normally like my Chopin played in this style, but there is something about the way Weissenberg plays them that really makes it work for me. I wouldn't recommend his as a first set, though. That spot would be best occupied by Arrau and Moravec. The Nocturnes are my favorite piano works, so I have a lot of recordings of them.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning my favorite Symphony Fantastique (out of 10 versionso_O).
    Munch/BSO 1962 ....not the earlier one from 1954.
    [​IMG]

Wes H, George P and TonyACT like this.
  8. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I've 'inadvertently' collected some pieces of music multiple times as they are commonly included in the big boxes I bought a few years back to rebuild my collection after an unexpectedly hasty downsize.

That is one of them, including yet another version in a Berlioz box I 'advertently' purchased :cool:

The Munch I have is the 1954 version from the Living Stereo box.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  9. Mild Mavis

Isn't it disappointing when you go into a charity shop, find some great records only to inspect them and find they are unplayable due to damage. This morning I found a Brahms 3rd symphony by Fritz Reiner, a John Ogden solo piano of his favourite pieces and an early ('40s/'50s) Dutch (I think) Decca recording of music I didn't know, nor do I speak Dutch, but was happy to take a chance on, only to find they were all badly enough scratched not to be enjoyable to listen to. So I came away with nothing.:sigh:

TonyACT likes this.
  10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I have recently been listening to various Vivaldi concerto and string works. From a Decca Box, some fairly early recordings of a couple of bassoon concertos. I thought they were well-done for such an early recording. From one of the three Decca boxes of Ansermet.
    Ernest Ansermet
    Henri Helaerts bassoon
    L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
    Decca, 2014
    31 CDs box -- The Great European Tradition
    Vivaldi:
    Bassoon Concerto in A minor, RV497
    Bassoon Concerto in D minorm RV 481
    Recorded 1952
    [​IMG]

11. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

No one has answered my question about Schaller's Bruckner set. Anyone have it?

12. Mild Mavis

Sorry. I have a box set of Bruckner but it's the Wurttemberische Philharmonie Reutlingen, conductor Roberto Paternostro.

13. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

I’m going to get a cd of Richter playing Scriabin in Warsaw ‘72. I see there are 3 or so single discs dedicated to this out there with this one here being the current one by the looks of it:

[​IMG]

Obviously the sound is limited by the original live recording but is there a particular edition that stands out as worth getting over another such as this one for instance?:

[​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  14. George P

TonyACT and Paul Dray like this.
  15. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

Thanks for the link to the review.
    Whenever I see a photo like this of Richter I can’t help but think of Morrisey :) looks like him I think.

16. drh

drh Talking Machine

17. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Haven’t heard it, but there are reviews of some of it on ClassicsToday.com.

18. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Sorry, can't comment on the various versions but I have the same Music & Arts one that George posted and I enjoy it.

Paul Dray, WaterLemon and George P like this.
  19. George P

[​IMG]

From the new Warner box, now enjoying this great performance and mastering.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Ed Casey, TonyACT, Mild Mavis and 2 others like this.
  20. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just arrived today!

I'll try and get to them in the next few days.

George P likes this.
  21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just listened to the first disc. As noted earlier, first time I've heard them. Nice music, excellent variety - and conjures up some nice moods while listening.

I really liked Ashkenazy's playing, and the sound on the CDs was good.

I'm still exploring Rachmaninov (and solo piano music generally) so I'm happy with this purchase (even though it took an age to arrive).

Wes H and George P like this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Since you're in Australia, you probably can get this with less trouble and expense than it cost me--you might have a listen to your countryman (adoptive; he was born in England) David Stanhope in the op. 32 Preludes on Tall Poppies TP184 (Steinway; 7-2004). Although Musicweb damned the disc with faint praise (Stanhope Recital TP184 [RH]: Classical CD Reviews- March 2006 MusicWeb-International ), I like his way with those pieces--and, pace Musicweb, I think his account of the Schumann toccata here fights in the same league with the famous Simon Barere recording of the '30s. Incidentally, Stanhope's Beethoven-Liszt symphony recordings (nos. 4 and 8) on other discs are positively jaw-dropping, and he has recorded a generous serving of the Godowsky paraphrases on Chopin etudes. In short, the guy goes for knucklebusters.

Martinu and TonyACT like this.
  23. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Thanks; I didn't have Tall Poppies on my radar before - interesting label!

24. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    Mischa Maisky, cello
    Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
    Vivaldi
    Boccherini
    Cello Concertos
    DG 1995
    This is well done. The one memorable movement is the opening movement to Vivaldi's Cello Concerto in A minor RV 418.

Eigenvector, TonyACT and George P like this.
  25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Funny you should say-I was spinning some Rubenstein Chopin( various) earlier today as I was winding thru his complete recordings box set. BTW-I am certainly guilty when it comes to “playing now” posts and I always hope there could be more interesting discussions concerning the music we are enjoying or discovering in the classical threads.

Mild Mavis, TonyACT and George P like this.