Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Wow, never in a million years for me. I buy records to listen to them, not stare at the jacket seams.

timzigs, ETSEQ, Dignan2000 and 15 others like this.
  2. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Same. I have gotten a few records in the mail with seam splits. They never go back. I will also buy a discounted record any day of the weak with small dings or whatever as long as the record is perfect.

That said, in the case of a $90 record, I think it should come perfect and that if it doesn't there should be a replacement jacket. No questions asked.

3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

for $90 the jacket should be perfect as well as the record.

otherwise ill wait til these pop up in BNC series and get all 3 for the price of 1

Chris Bernhardt, jgrillo and mikeyt like this.
  4. Yeah I agree, but unfortunately MMJ knows they have the best product in town. And regardless of their customer service quality, anything they put out will sell out almost immediately. They also know they could take back a seam split return and sell it elsewhere for 2-3x what the first customer bought it for. Not sure if they actually do that, but undoubtedly they are aware they could.

I like the jackets, but I’d buy every single MMJ in my collection even if they came in plain white jackets. They are just that good.

5. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

I stumbled upon an original pressing of Odyssey of Iska and enjoyed it more than I'd expected. I'd definitely recommend picking it up for anyone who likes some of the moody jazz happening in late 60s. I think it'd be a good Tone Poet candidate, too, because of how quiet and subtle it can be.

6. Vibrolux_Reverb

Agreed. Fantastic album.

Also, for anyone who hasn't yet, take a nice puff, drink, or just get in that perfect mindset even without outside sources and put on Emanon. That album really blew me away.

7. Swordsandchains

you dont have the best product in town if you have defective product. Touting stoughton jackets and having the best jackets ever, and they arrive with seam splits, and you refuse to replace them, then you dont even stand behind your supposed best product.

8. To each their own. The market would disagree with you. As do my ears. Also seam splits are not really “defective”, or even the fault of MMJ.

But again, I’m in this for the music and the audio reproduction. Jackets are of minimal importance to me. YMMV

9. G E

G E Senior Member

Adams Apple arrived yesterday. But we had a wild night of non-stop lightning, went on for hours, unplugged my system rather than risk catastrophic surge.

Hopefully tonight will be calm.

10. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Just played A Night in Tunisia. Incredible. I don't like paying this much for an album but the cost was not on my mind as I was listening, that's for sure. I hope those waiting for their copies receive them soon.

11. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

I doubt MMJ will make it to 2023.
    It was once a good product/company.

12. Still a great product. The “company” is hit and miss. Overall, they’ve treated me very well, but the consistency in their approach is lacking. But it’s been that way for years.

13. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I kinda bailed on them for their inconsistent approach to customer care years ago. I do have many titles, purchased both new and used, and I enjoy all of them.

14. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Oh, I am not sure about that.... the way vinyl is these days. Can you imagine if they did the Zeppelin Stuff from the original Master tapes? they could sell them for at least 150.00 a pop, maybe more LOL. people would pay for them no doubt about it.

Elofan likes this.
  15. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

I really hope MMJ does what they did for Blue Note to another label. The whole package. Audio quality and presentation. I’d be in for sure.

mikeyt, G E and Harrison_Bergeron like this.
  16. Vibrolux_Reverb

Riverside would be the Ultimate imo. Think about it.

Monk - Brilliant Corners
    Monk - Monks Music
    Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue
    Kenny Drew - Trio
    Bobby Timmons - This Here is Bobby Timmons
    John Lee Hooker - Thats My Story
    Elvin Jones - Elvin
    Odetta - Odetta and the Blues
    Lee Morgan - Take Twelve
    Bill Evan - Waltz for Debbie
    Bill Evans - SundayVillage Vanguard
    Jazz Messengers - Ugetsu
    Max Roach - Deeds Not Words
    Wes Montgomery - Full House
    Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite

etc.

17. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Now THAT would be incredible!

18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Adam’s apple arrived last night. No seam splits or corner dings, flat and super quiet even without a cleaning. MM keep repressing and I’ll keep buying!

19. Swordsandchains

the thing is now all the labels can do it themselves and they have no reason to license to a 3rd party anymore.

20. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Yeah the labels can do it but they aren’t going above and beyond to produce the BEST product possible. ie pressing quality, jackets, mastering etc.

ausamerika likes this.
  21. Swordsandchains

universal is doing it with the Tone Poets and Acoustic Sounds Series. Craft can do it when they actually try, and im sure they have something in the pipeline, a Contemporary Recs series is coming looking at rumors. Wouldnt be surprised to see a Prestige or Riverside series kickoff next year too.

maybe they license out for a 45 series, but why do that when they can just reap more money doing it themselves?

22. The labels always “could” do it. They are now just choosing to. I think it’s likely that MMJ is done, but I also imagine some labels will determine the profit from these deluxe audiophile presentations is not worth their trouble. They still make money when they license it out and don’t have to deal with all the other trouble.

bruinuclafan, LivLif and ETSEQ like this.
  23. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Speaking of later era Shorter, I would encourage everyone to check out "Masqualero" (track 2) on Footprints Live! (recorded in 2001, released in 2002). The energy on the last two minutes of that track (from about 6:15 on) is incredible. That album has never been on vinyl, but you can stream it everywhere I think.

24. Swordsandchains

i assume we will see more along the lines of the Acoustic Sounds Series. Its a universal series but its really an AP series but a Universal series and im sure theyre getting more money out of it than a license. And im sure the series is helping AP/AS/QRP as welll. A more partnership than a straight license do whatever like 10 years ago

this_machine likes this.
  25. I think this will be how it all plays out too. The labels may let the boutique labels handle the 45rpm editions as they are even more niche, but we will see how it all unfolds.

this_machine and mikemoon like this.