One Track Saves The Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nosticker, Aug 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

No fair, Jim, you don't like Buddy Miles :D:wave:! I have to add that Message To Love and Power Of Soul are also essential. We've Gotta Live Together? Not so much (I'll give you that). That's still my favorite live version of Message To Love. They all do pale in comparison to "Machine Gun", though (as you noted).

Marty T likes this.
  2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

By their own admission, Motely Crue state that "Home Sweet Home" saved Theater Of Pain. In interviews, they said something along the lines of (completely paraphrasing from memory here) "the album as a whole wasn't that great. That one song [Home Sweet Home] allowed the band to continue." The implication was if they didn't have a hit to help them "get past" that album, things might've come to a screeching halt for them. Of course "Smokin' In The Boys Room" got airplay as well, so who knows?

VH3FAN likes this.
  3. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Rio Grande is a great song, somewhat reminiscent of the Smile era:):)

4. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I love Cheap Trick, but outside of the gorgeous “Heaven’s Falling” Next Position Please is a dud.

5. apb

apb Game on!

Apart from Couldn't Call It Unexpected No. 4, Elvis Costello's Mighty Like a Rose isn't much.

6. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Run, a song on the Snow Patrol album Final Straw.

7. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I’m gonna p1ss off hipsters and try hards and answer the question straight:

Song To The Siren saves Tim Buckley’s Starsailor and then some - just very few folks will admit it.

I’m more lenient with Can and Ege Bamyasi because there are a just about a couple of songs that leap to the rescue rather than only Vitamin C … but it’s close.

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No, it's horrible and contributed needlessly to the already tense situation to the point where Sting buried the tape to prevent it from ending up on the record.

30 ounce likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Can't disagree more. The whole album is fantastic and its best track is Into The Majestic.

Jarleboy, barrymcguire, Zack and 3 others like this.
  10. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Carouselambra - Led Zeppelin ITTOD

(Sorry)

11. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

This is one of those things that isn't "possible" for me. In other words, if I only liked one track on an album then the album can't be saved. :p

Any album that I own and thus repeatedly enjoy is decent to great from start to finish.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I used to think Stormbrimger the track saved Deep Purple’s Stormbrimger album, until the penny dropped and I realised the funky, soulful rock which the rest of the album comprised was actually where the magic was at.

In fact, the title track was the anomaly, even if it was the only throwback to vintage Blackmore.

13. DLD

DLD Senior Member

This :righton:

WHMusical and Purple Jim like this.
  14. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

"I Can't Take It" isn't to your liking?

I like the album very much. It's almost like a sister album of Utopia's 1982 self-titled release (for obvious reasons).

I'd love to hear Todd's demo of "Heaven's Falling".

barrymcguire likes this.
  15. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I agree Machine Gun makes this iconic, but its not exactly scrap heap without it. Lets say they used the first shows Hear My Train A Comin' in it's place I think it would still be highly regarded albeit it a tier lower than the release as is with that specific Machine Gun take intact. So I dont so much think of Machine Gun as saving it as I think of it as elevating it.

DTK, jhm and Purple Jim like this.
  16. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Mike Oldfield. Tubular Bells on Tubular Bells

gojikranz and nosticker like this.
  17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Scorpions "Pure Instinct"

Wild Child is the only song that I like from it, but I liked it so much I had to buy the CD.

18. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

OCD would never allow me to get rid of it (and I love the Stones so I probably wouldn't even if I didn't have OCD), but "All About You" is the only song I like on Emotional Rescue. I don't mind "She's So Cold" and I can tolerate "Let Me Go" and "Down In A Hole". The rest can rot for all I care. (On the flip side, I actually love Dirty Work.)

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

This Is England

...and nothing can save that album.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Although Message To Love, Power Of Soul and Who Knows are keepers (despite the goofy yelping of Buddy Miles on the latter), I've never been bonkers on Buddy's song Them Changes or his tedious Sly Stone medley We Gotta Live Together. So Machine Gun, really makes the album.

adam_777 likes this.
  21. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

For me it’s “Taking It All Too Hard” on Genesis’ self-titled 1983 album.

22. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

23. zen

zen Senior Member

"Lady Double Dealer" too.

VH3FAN, Scat Rabies and Doomster like this.
  24. OneForFife

OneForFife Forum Resident

"All for Leyna" almost saves Glass Houses. There's no saving The Nylon Curtain.

25. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

The Clash doesn’t have a song called “This is London”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.