Genesis reunion tour - will it happen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Yeah, Phil was definitely not saying he was unsure if he could make it through the tour. He was asked about this being the end and he was explaining why it probably is.

Galeans and Rfreeman like this.
  2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I actually really don’t care how he looks. As long as their music speaks to them selves and others enjoy it too, they could look like straight lgbtq+ chiuaua dogs from the moon….on jetdriven wheel hairs…..all i care about is the music. I am not much into the visual side.

ries likes this.
  3. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

Totally agree. Also, Mike was asked why they are all playing together again. His response was “that’s what we do.” So yes indeed when you’re a performer you want to perform, especially with your friends, and in this case your son too. It’s what they do. And they love the live crowds !

The traveling might be grueling but the boys are all quite wealthy so hopefully they can travel in a more luxurious style that will be easier, healthier and well suited for them.

4. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

I stand corrected. :cheers:

5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Yet the tour hasn't started yet, and he is saying "I don't know if I want to go on tour anymore." .

I'm sure we can put a lot of subjective interpretation in that one, but it sounded to me as if he was kind of feeling "forced" to go on with the tour and his heart wasn't into it.
    I'm probably reading too much into this.

6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I do stand by the phrase that " looks like he has one foot in the grave.". Even taking into consideration his age (71) in the news story I saw he looked about twenty years older and in extremely poor health. I was shocked. He looked ghastly. I did not recognize him at first. And I am surprised that he sings pretty well in the performance clips that were shown (all due credit to him for that). From his appearance I'm surprised he's up to a whole show, let alone a tour.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Slim Zooms likes this.
  7. iskiv

iskiv Forum Resident

Could we stop with the outright fake news? Mike was the one who stated publicly that he thought Steve's dissatisfaction with the editing of the documentary was justified, and that he had contacted Steve privately afterwards to tell him so. He went on to explain that the band wasn't in control of the final cut (well, obviously - the BBC were).

8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I guess I wasn't paying that close of attention back then. At the time I knew he had experienced some serious health issues (including alcoholism), but I remember the media coverage about Collins at that time centred on him not being able to drum any more because he was unable to hold the drum sticks. I do not recall any coverage about his general poor health. I was truly shocked when I saw him.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

He def has lost a bunch of hair since Seconds Out :rolleyes:

10. MikeVielhaber

A lot of older acts stop touring because they don't want to do it anymore. Knowing that, they still go out for one last go around, often promoted as such, and by their own accord. You could see a little hesitation even when answering as if he didn't want to definitively say it's last one, just that it likely is, all things considered.

Zongadude likes this.
  11. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

For the record, he is 70, not 71.

And he recently completed 2.5 years on the road in the exact same physical state. That's not something someone who is supposedly "one foot in the grave" can accomplish. The man simply can't walk. He's disabled, but doesn't mean he's dying.

Also, I guarantee that a large percentage of the people who attended the last solo tour will be back to see him again with Genesis. So he is still perfectly capable of pleasing a crowd, even while seated.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think this is only "last UK tour" promo from Phil, without direct billing. If things go as scheduled this tour could fill a bunch of 2022 and the Irish dates, no mainland Europe and East US only tour are some evidence of that.

What else is Phil going to do? Sit in his Florida, not go outside, and sit around looking at his watch or Alamo stuff? He got into drinking and domino effect health issues after the 2007 tour.

13. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

After his recent marital issues, I think he's probably done returning to the state of Florida. I suspect that's why the current US tour routing is skipping us again. (Yes, I'm in Florida. But that's fine. No Florida show = gives me an excuse to take a little trip to Philly.)

krock2009 likes this.
  14. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

Okay we agree to disagree. I prefer genesis from duke - genesis...but I am in the minority. My suggestion is about a farewell tour and gabriel was part of the journey... some would welcome it and be thrilled if gabe made an appearance in some fashion. I get it...you wouldn't .
    But as Phil's ability to sing ages a duet with a younger self singing in a different key also would be cool. I am just suggesting an idea. But some nod to anthony Phillips, steve hackett and gabriel would be expected I think.

JulesRules and Ryan Lux like this.
  15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I'd be stunned if Ant, Steve, or PG were referred to in any way.

They tried to do something with The Lamb in 2007. Peter never could fully commit, so it was back to the trio.

Phil should do a duet with his younger self? Sure...

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Phil might follow Nic or his 15 year old youngest child back to Florida.

Phil only played Vancouver once as a solo act in 1990. Skipped Western Canada for 29 years when it was a regular Genesis stop. He knows grudges, though I suspect the Northwest and Florida can't net big enough numbers as other US places.

17. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

It would be a bit strange, but not completely out there in terms of having a recording of old to play with. They had Moon at The Who for Bell Boy, and Carl in the Beach Boys as videos they played along with. I too doubt they'd make mention of their past in terms of previous members, even if, I agree, it would be appropriate since this is clearly the Last Domino, no '?' needed.

I watched just now the PBS special. It is sad to see Phil and he does seem from my own experiences like a man out of breath, hence unable to hit the extended bits. But, its not so terrible that I can't enjoy it. It still sounds like him, even if the backup singers are helping out. I'm expecting to see him for the Boston show (1 of 2) which is at the very end of the US leg, so I'm praying he maintains stamina enough to finish the tour and I get to see him, and that hopefully with practice and the tour, he's at least of similar capability in the video rather than so worn out by that point. I think that's realistic to hope for, so I'm going with that.

Does anyone know whether they will be doing show recording like last time? I know "The Music" that they did and whom also did PG and The Who essentially folded and were in the past year or so selling of all their leftover stock. So I'm not sure what companies would likely partner that exist if they wanted to. Even knowing Phil's state, it would be, to me, a very desired souvenir so I hope so. I can however see that they may rather it be left to memories rather than preserved in audio with Phil as he is. Still, I hope they might, or at the very least that someone bootlegs the show I go to. I wouldn't be surprised if an official single show is put out, but it's more "special" to me if it's the one I went to, so fingers crossed for first Boston (and hopefully the others) being recorded in some capacity. Extra so since it's the last tour.

18. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

Really? After all this time no acknowledgement of the past on a farewell tour? I don't know I think they will be more nostalgic and time heals wounds. Maybe I am wrong... but I see it the other way

19. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

Looks a pretty marked change from 2019 to me.
    Compare these interviews.

And the BBC one. Heartbreaking.
    https://youtu.be/na3DF155UGo
    Brought a tear to my eye. I feel quite flat after watching that. Love this band. I hope all goes well. The rest of the band look in good shape and up to the task.

Slim Zooms, NunoBento and UHLawdog like this.
  20. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Depressing. Don’t think I can justify the expense with Phil slumped singing in a chair.

21. MikeVielhaber

I would've maybe thought this too, but then they put out this documentary before any shows were even played and with Phil sometimes in not the best vocal shape, so maybe they're not opposed to recording.

22. MikeVielhaber

I don't see any lack of acknowledgement being due to "wounds". I just don't think that's their style. They all expected the 2007 tour to be the last one and they didn't do any tributes then. Except for some pictures showing up on the big screens, which I'm sure we'll see more of.

23. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Doesn’t seem night and day to me. Definitely lower energy and thinner though….

24. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

I did just read on one of the Genesis sites an interview done with what I guess is the "sound guy" for the tour (not sure what that job is technically called" and he was asked and gave a coy answer, not saying yes nor no, but indicating he records every how in stereo and multitrack. So, hopefully that will continue and they'll give the go ahead. I just thought I remembered in the past they did the promotion for such recordings and sign up to buy etc... as pre-order and there's not so much time left to do so. Of course, they can always announce and sell it after. As long as it's not the b.s. they did on I forget which (maybe Elton's farewell tour?) where it was a phone only app to subscribe and listen nonsense, no physical or non-app digital form to own.

JulesRules likes this.
  25. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Genesis has a big following in Miami. They'd sell fine here. Certainly better than... say... Charlotte.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.