Genesis reunion tour - will it happen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

Springsteen did this.

2. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident

Actually there was another interview around the launch of his book a few years back where he speaks like this. Really slowly and vaguely. Almost like a slowed down tape. On that Project interview though he seemed like his old self. Quite sharp. Perhaps painkillers or something…

krock2009, The_Windmill and Ryan Lux like this.
  3. rpd

rpd Senior Member

He look just horrible. Sad they are putting him out there. Sad people are so damn desperate to perform in such a sad state

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  4. rpd

rpd Senior Member

You are joking, right? He looks 20 years older

NunoBento likes this.
  5. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Actually, Western Canada has always been a semi-regular tour stop for Genesis ('74, '77, '80, '84 & '92), nothing more. Calgary & Edmonton are bigger markets than Vancouver for them, but they oddly didn't start playing Alberta until 1980. If there are additional North American shows next year, one of the two, not both, will more than likely be chosen over Vancouver. And if only one Pacific Northwest show happens in 2022, then it will probably be SeaTac, since it's the largest PNW market for Genesis.

Whereas, Genesis have always done very well in Florida. And since it's been 29-34 years since they've played this state, if a 2nd North American leg is added for 2022, unless routing issues get in the way, there will definitely be shows there...

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Cities with business hubs and fans who think nothing of $300 tickets. Rather than fans with $100 cap.

I think Live Nation have a big headquarters in Charlotte, maybe a tax thing.

7. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Other than the weight loss, he looks only slightly older. We don’t know what the cause of the weight loss is. It’s possible he lost some weight for his health. Older people can look sickly with weight loss, even when it’s not. As another poster mentioned, there’s footage of him slow talking from 4 years ago. So it’s inconclusive….

I’ve said before that no one seems to care about presenting him in the best light. He’s wearing a jacket that is significantly too big and the shaved head is not a good look anymore for an older man with health problems. It just makes him seem even older. He looked way better in the documentary interviews when he grew his hair in.

krock2009 and Bemsha like this.
  8. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Agree with that statement, but those people aren't on stage fronting one of the biggest bands of all-time, in front of tens of thousands of people night after night.

9. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

I know the guy can’t play drums, fine. I know he has to sit down, okay. But I just cannot understand why he chooses to dress like a hobo. Have some goddamn respect for the audience and wear a suit.

FACE OF BOE and folkfreak like this.
  10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The lighting guy mentioned a 2 hour concert. So expectations for 160 mins might double check expectations.

The baggy pants might be a bathroom convenience. 80's tours were a t-shirt.

Dodoz and kouzie like this.
  11. iskiv

iskiv Forum Resident

It's an interesting idea, but I can't see it working. The audience reaction to Phil and Ray would be very different... if different enough it has potential to be awkward for Ray. It'd be like those school awards nights where everyone gets called up to collect their certificates and you can tell the popular kids by the loudest cheers. No one wants a situation where Ray and Phil are effectively pitted against each other, even though of course that wouldn't be anybody's intention.

:rolleyes:
    You can't possibly be serious, but I'll bite. Maybe instead you should follow artists whose clothing makes you feel sufficiently respected while you're at their performances. Me, I follow artists who can generate sounds that I enjoy hearing while at their performances.

12. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Of course I get it....it's not some incredibly insightful or profound point you're making. The fact is that Peter left almost a half-century ago and neither party has looked back since.

13. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

It’s not a record, Beavis. It’s a show. And I guarantee he’s charging more money than ever for tickets, because that’s just the way it works now.

If I buy a ticket I for a show I expect a show. That means top notch sound, top notch lighting and visuals, some thought and respect put into the setlist, and an artist who demonstrates that he gives a f about charging $300 for my ticket and making a million bucks gross per performance by respecting his audience enough to dress like he gives a damn and not dress like a bloody hobo.

If he’s charging hobo prices then sure, dress like a hobo. If he’s charging show prices, give me a show.

He’s charging show prices. Wear a suit.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    zphage and folkfreak like this.
  14. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

I read he has diabetes.

15. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

Where do I even begin to reply to that asinine commentary?

He can wear whatever he wants and you have the right to not attend since you’re hung up on his wardrobe choices. Maybe loose fitting clothes are comfy for him since he’s in pain.

Hey maybe you can make fun of his shoes next that would be a hoot. Such incredible insight you have to the music. I look forward to not seeing you at the shows since you’ll be frantically pounding your keyboard giving fashion critiques instead.

16. iskiv

iskiv Forum Resident

Don't go, then, and don't stress. By all appearances there are many thousands of other people who are happy to purchase that ticket instead of you and don't give a flying one what Phil is wearing.

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

When Genesis was an albums' band, they didn't sell records massively, and by the time they did, they turned into a singles' band for the general record buying public.

I'm pretty sure loads of people would identify "Dark Side of the Moon" or "The Wall" as Pink Floyd records, for instance, and a lot of them would have trouble recalling the names of more than two songs from each album.
    The thing is, as you age, casual dressing no longer sits as well on you. I'm 54 and I can see that in myself and in others.

That's all there is to it really. A young man dressed in hobo clothes might look a rap star and and an older guy may look like a hobo.

Anyway, I think we should respect the way the guys want to dress for the shows and try to understand that it all comes down to the fact that our heroes have grown old, whether we like it or not.

19. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

AND YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN (except for you in the suit)

20. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

I guess he doesn't like, what's in his wardrobe.

ARK, caravan70, FACE OF BOE and 14 others like this.
  21. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

[​IMG]

22. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

23. rcahill

rcahill Forum Resident

24. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's like The Beatles. When they were charging for their concerts, they wore suits.

By the time of the Let it Be rooftop concert, they weren't wearing suits, and they knew they couldn't charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.