'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

It was sold out in the UK by some weeks before i even discovered the TP series ....well it was on discogs at scalpers rates ...

2. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Excuse me if I missed it earlier, but what title(s) did you order from the Blue Note store?

3. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

I thought I saw a post in the last few pages that someone who ordered from the BN sale had already received theirs. I did see a post on the Blue Note FB group of someone who received their order in the past couple days. Perhaps they live close to the warehouse. I waffled over an order for several days until finally Sidewinder went out of stock which was the only in-stock title I really wanted/didn’t have. Hopefully that gets repressed again soon.

4. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I was wondering about this comment, why you thought I hadn't heard of A New Perspective, did you notice I said Donald Best, not Byrd? Donald Best was the vibraphonist on that album. Yes, I'm familiar with A New Perspective, it's a very popular records. :)

5. Ronnieb

Ronnieb Forum Resident

I know it will never happen, but how many people wouldn’t like to see Lee Morgan’s Search for the new land being TP’ed. My goodness, isn’t that the best Blue Note Record ever recorded? Yes it is! A Beast!!

indyalden, trd, Mark J and 6 others like this.
  6. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

a nice and reasonably priced re-issue would be great--it's one of Lee Morgan's best records

indyalden, trd, rob303 and 3 others like this.
  7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Given that it's been done by MMJ as a 2x45, 1x33, and 1x33 SRX, there is about a 100% chance it will next be done as a BN classic.

8. And the MMJ 45rpm is stunningly great sounding, and Incredible Music.

9. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

I just learned that Nasheet Waits, one of the most prominent drummers on the NY scene (he's the drummer in Jason Moran's Bandwagon), is Freddie's son. This is a great interview with Nasheet, where he shares a lot of interesting info about his upbringing and father:

Freddie apparently got his start in Motown. He's the drummer on some major hits, including "Dancing in the Street," "Pride and Joy," and "Fingertips." Nasheet tells a funny story about setting up pots and pans on the kitchen table and playing along to Mikey Roker's drums from Live at the Lighthouse as a child.

Anyway I take all this as a sign that Jason Moran's "Black Stars" should get the Tone Poet treatment.

10. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I was going to say, I'd expect Search to be a Classic rather than TP. I've got an early Liberty pressing so I'm set either way.

Getting back to the earlier conversation re: bari players, I'd love see this done as a TP, though I'm not sure if they all have access to old Regent/Savoy albums. Pepper Adams and Elvin Jones - not two names I can otherwise remember ever going together - plus George Duviver on bass and Hank Jones on piano. Has a weird East-Coast-Musicians-Play-West-Coast-Stylings vibe. I'd pick it up in a Hazel Park Minute. Heck, I would probably buy it just for the cover.

[​IMG]

11. bjlefebvre

As long as we're wishing: Pepper Adams Plays Charlie Mingus. I have no idea who owns the rights to that one - looks like Motown? - so I would suspect it's a no-go. But it's been a holy grail for me on vinyl.

12. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Sort of my introduction as well. On a somewhat related note, I got to play with Mike Dillon a few weeks ago. It was pretty amazing to be on stage with such talent.

Aeryn Sun, Bigdz68 and trd like this.
  13. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

Anyway I take all this as a sign that Jason Moran's "Black Stars" should get the Tone Poet treatment.[/QUOTE]

AMEN! Eric_B! I would love to hear what magic the Tone Poet team could conjure with Blue Note releases from the 1990’s (Geri Allen’s Maroons and Eyes….In the Back of Your Head) and the early 2000’s (Jason Moran’s Black Stars, Modernistic, The Bandwagon and Ten, and Greg Osby’s The Invisible Hand and Symbols of Light).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  14. Vibrolux_Reverb

15. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

16. Vibrolux_Reverb

I hope so. Its a great tone poet. I haven't spun it in a while, but really enjoy it. I may have to break it out this weekend since it is all on my mind.

struttincool and PATB like this.
  17. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

mike dillon is fantastic, love his work with Skerik in Dead Kenny Gs

Bigdz68, Dai and trd like this.
  18. bjlefebvre

19. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

20. bjlefebvre

roverb likes this.
  21. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Great info! Thanks!

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Sorry - Concord Jazz owns the rights to the Savoy catalog here in the US so the only way you're going to see this on vinyl, is through them.

23. bjlefebvre

Well yuck to that.

Aeryn Sun likes this.
  24. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Why Yuck? Isn't Concord a division of Craft? They don't always do it right, but when they do, it's really good. Check out the Chet Bakers, the stuff they are doing with VMP on Riverside, the RSD Kenny Dorham, the Booker T stuff, the Stax / Enterprise stuff, the Vince Guraldi reissues. They've often hit it out of the park.

Tom Campbell, miq2son and DeRosa like this.
  25. bjlefebvre

Fair point on the quality of Craft pressings - they're generally pretty good. I have the RSD Kenny Dorham and some of their Fania stuff, which is great. I also had their Charlie Parker box set and liked it.

My main reason for "yuck" is that as best I can tell their output as you mentioned is fairly inconsistent and best I can tell has little rhyme or reason as to what gets put out and at what quality. That Charlie Parker box set sounded good but who knows what they used as a source. Same with the Fania stuff - I think there was a story where they located the original tapes for the Cuban Jam session stuff in Miami or something, but there's absolutely no info from Craft directly. I haven't purchased any of the Prestige titles they've put out, but as far as I can tell from the literature there's nothing suggesting they're using anything but the last round of Fantasy "green label" masters. I'm not usually one of those folks who demands AAA for all vinyl, but frankly with Craft it gets a little bit frustrating not knowing about 90% of what they put out. I have a 2011 OJC pressing of Bill Evan's Portrait In Jazz - I was curious about the Craft pressing but there's no info at all on whether it's basically the same pressing I already own. They do a handful of high-quality pressings and the rest is whatevs.

The other reason for the "yuck" was that I think Craft hasn't done much with the Savoy albums at all. Looking at their Web site, if you take a gander of their Savoy offerings, that Charlie Parker box set and a "Savoy" t-shirt are literally all there is. My confidence that they'll do anything with a stray Pepper Adams album is...well, yuck.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    indyalden and kt66brooklyn like this.