New cartridge for Technics SL1500C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RS2099, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

It was supplied in email from customer support ... MINT Technics SL-1200mk2 vs new SL-1500C

Doesn't mean it is accurate, but unless someone can disconnect the cartridge and measure it using a frequency generator and a couple test frequencies, or do a risetime test, it's pretty much all the info available.

Big Blue likes this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’ve not seen Technics publish a capacitance spec on it, so I think anything you have seen around here has probably been from people either measuring it or looking at some sort of schematic. Or they read it somewhere and passed it along. [EDIT: I see it actually came from Technics support… the thread Davey linked above answers this question regarding the 2M compatibility.]

I honestly don’t think Technics put as much thought into the cartridge selection as some people assume. This is a plug-and-play package with a cheap cartridge thrown in, likely because Ortofon won a bid for them to be included at little or no cost to Technics, and not because Technics engineers deemed it an ideal companion. Some people like to imbue the almighty Technics engineers with some comprehensive wisdom over every aspect of the product packages, but it seems more realistic they are, ultimately, just a company selling product models at a price point like everyone else (even if their products, the ones they actually make, tend to be very good).

3. AL01

AL01 Eh?

Who knows?

There is an unspoken rule for Japanese companies to work with other Japanese companies instead of foreign ones.

(Think of Nintendo abandoning Sony over Phillips. This action lead to the creation of the Play Station!)

Either that, or I am overstating the matter...

4. Davey

But Ortofon is Danish. They did go with Audio Technica on the 100C.

5. AL01

AL01 Eh?

Yes, that is the whole point of my post...

It is rather unusual to see a Japanese company work with a foreign one, especially if they have local options...

Technics turntables from the past came with Nagaoka cartridges, etc.

6. Davey

They still do in some markets, such as the 1210GAE with Nagaoka cart in the EU.

AL01 likes this.
  7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Philips is Dutch, originates from the city Eindhoven.

8. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

They probably got an excellent deal, as its in Ortofon interest to generate new customers for 2M Blue stylus

Oelewapper and Big Blue like this.
  9. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Never heard the Red but loved the Blue and Bronze, but now Black, and you know what they say. Once you go Black.

but seriously. It’s detailed, the separation is incredible. But I think the synergy with my Thorens and tube amps is also a benefit with the Black.

10. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

Any help or suggestions on my audio situation would be welcome:

I have the Technics SL-1500c with a Ortofon Blue cartridge and have been playing around with minor sound improvements. I've been using an independent phono stage for the last year or so - the Cambridge Audio CP2 instead of the turntable's onboard one. Recently I was getting a low static hum that was noticeable through the speakers before the stylus hit the record so today I took the CP2 completely out and tried the 1500c's phono input. Fortunately this has eliminated the static sound, that's now gone, but I haven't noticed any general SQ improvements, maybe the CP2 sounded slightly better included, but pretty hard to tell. Also the volume needs to go up just a touch more to get it back to the same level as before. I also tried both the 1500c's and the CP2's cables, no real difference there either, both sounded the same.

Basically my question is - has going to the onboard phono stage of the turntable been a good idea or not? Is there any other tweaks I could try, maybe a better phono component? I mean it sounds very good overall, not far off where it was before, just without that annoying low ringing static sound at the start and end of play.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  11. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

I'm wondering why all of a sudden you noticed noise/hum using the CP2. Are you running a ground wire from the 1500c to the CP2 when using it?

12. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

Yep, ground wire was in use, definitely. Not sure why the static noise was happening, can't explain it, it's not there anymore though with the changes made.

13. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Only you can answer your first question. It's perfectly subjective. Which sound do you like better? I'd say eliminating static/hum is a big win but if you only noticed it when the music wasn't playing then maybe it's not that big of a deal?
    If you're interested in checking out another phono stage I'd be remiss not to point you towards Graham Slee stages. There's likely a loaner program available for you to trial one in your own home. Though the onboard unit on the 1500C probably plays very well w/ the Ortofon Blue that's listed in your info.
    The only other upgrade I can strongly recommend is KAB's TD-1000 tonearm damper. Not sure how much shipping to NZ would be but it's a great add-on.

14. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wish they sold the KAB in Europe. The only place I could find it was a UK store but then we get hit with a truckload of taxes again... F...ing brexit.

15. Oelewapper

Contact Kevin at the KAB webshop to inquire the shipping costs.
    I got mine for only 10 bucks shipping and no import duties (the Netherlands), it really surprised me.

16. RS2099

How long ago was that? Portuguese customs laws changed this summer, now every single parcel that comes from outside the EU will have to pay fees at customs...

17. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Not if there is a tradedeal between countries. For example I looked today for a record from Canada. There is a tradedeal between Canada and Netherlands so I don’t pay any custom fees.

18. Oelewapper

Ah yes that was about two years ago.

19. Davey

There are others that make similar products, for instance Meta Audio Labs in Greece sells their damper on ebay (meta_lab) for much cheaper than KAB, under $100 USD, and have versions to support all the new models. No experience with it, and I'm sure the KAB is probably finished better, but the price from UK sources is pretty ridiculous, works out to about a quarter the cost of the 1500C.

Technocentral and RS2099 like this.
  20. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

My KAB TD1000 came directly from KABUSA for GBP 140.25 including shipping.
    Kevin is great to deal with.

21. RS2099

Oh, that's nice. The Meta Lab version goes for around 100€, with shipping included but since it comes from Greece that would be the final cost.

22. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I believe EU, (not a single EU country like Netherlands) dictate the trade deals with other countries

23. Oelewapper

EU members can decide if they want to be part of an agreement made between the EU and the other country.
    They can opt out, even during negotiations, but that’s just a statement of dissatisfaction in most cases.

RemyM likes this.
  24. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Is the Meta Lab version cast aluminium? The KAB TD1000 matches the silver Technics finish perfectly. I'm not an expert in product design but ....

25. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

Thanks so much for the info, appreciate it. I’ve noticed after a bit more listening with the onboard phono of the turntable that the SQ has smoothed out some giving things a pleasant and more rounded sound. Surprisingly I like it - even if I do have to turn the amp up a little further.

Those phono stages you’ve provided do look the business, but I’m probably going to hold out and get a whole new amp before too long. I’ve got my eye on the Yamaha AS-1200 or AS-2200, everything I’ve read about these units has been very positive..

Thanks again!

aunitedlemon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.