Henry : Portrait Of A serial Killer (1986)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ZackyDog, Sep 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

This was very memorable and of course, disturbing, due to the heavy subject matter. You can see it on TubiTv and YouTube. Three years later, Rooker was in Sea Of Love, with Ellen Barkin, Al Pacino and John Goodman.

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I remember hearing an interview with the "real" Harry -- or one of the inspirations for the fictional Harry -- who objected to his portrayal as a brooding, sinister person.

The interview was chilling in and of itself, because this real serial killer was gregarious and outgoing, the sort of person who would strike up conversations with strangers in a bar. Which, of course, he did.

He pointed out, boastingly, that someone like the Harry depicted in the movie wouldn't get close enough to enough people to kill them. He would set off alarms before they were alone with him.

3. ZackyDog

@Roland Stone

If I am remembering correctly, the movie is based on two (2)/different serial killers.

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Grim but good movie.
    First image: a dead body, last image: a dead body.

Moonbeam Skies and ZackyDog like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I always felt at the heart of the movie laid dark comedy.

6. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Ya gotta love extreme low-budget horror films shot on 16mm that turn out to be excellent story-telling—warts and all.

7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Probably Michael Rooker's definitive role.

Also, a movie that's had trouble with the MPAA and the British Board of Film Censors.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Fantastic snuff movie. The Pinhead watched it on VHS back in the day and loved it.

9. ZackyDog

I have this coming in a few days:

[​IMG]

It will have more content than the 82+ minutes movie I saw on Amazon...

Bonus Features: In Defense of Henry: An Appreciation , Henry vs MPAA: A Visual History , Henry at the BBFC: An Interview With NIGHTMARE USA Author Stephen Thrower , It s Either You or Them: An Interview with Artist Joe Coleman",
    "In The Round: A Conversation with John McNaughton", Portrait: The Making of Henry , Deleted Scenes & Outtakes
    Interview with John McNaughton, 1998, Original Trailer, 30th Anniversary Trailer, Still Gallery, Storyboards

Thanks to those who contributed to this thread.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  10. Do you remember who this guy was? The original inspiration for Henry was Henry Lee Lucas, a low-IQ drifter who was anything but gregarious and charming.

11. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Classic date movie.

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Hmm, maybe it was an unrelated serial killer interviewed about the movie. I remember being chilled by his happy demeanor, the exact opposite of what you expect . . .

Dudley Morris likes this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Maybe you're thinking of Ed Kemper.There are several interviews with him available for viewing. In one of them he demonstrates how he could put on his glasses and smile and look as sweet and innocent as could be. Chilling.

Moonbeam Skies and ZackyDog like this.
  14. He’s also very articulate and personable, and had the sangfroid to hang out at pubs frequented by cops and drink beer with them while on his killing spree. Only his sheer size could be offputting to some. So yeah, it could well have been him.

altaeria likes this.
  15. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

This movie scared me and freaked me out the worst way.

16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Liked that film a lot. Lucas and Toole were far less 'personable' when I ran across them once.
    They were not well-known killers at the time, but their vibe was 'unmistakable'.

17. Where did you run across them?

Lightworker likes this.
  18. Lightworker

Central Texas back in the '7os while hitchhiking. I had no idea who they were or what they had done.
    When I saw their mugshots a few years later I remembered them instantly ...Lucas had an 'unususal'
    look and persona that is pretty hard to forget (lol).

19. Lightworker

It was difficult to get used to Rooker as a "good guy" in Tombstone after his portrayal of Lucas (lol).

20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Whatever happened to Ellen Barkin?

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’m just bummed out because the talent manager I worked for had Michael Rooker as a client. She took him on after Henry. She produced the movie “seven” with Brad Pitt and wanted me for the Kevin Spacey part. She fought her co-producer over it, Arnold K. and David Fincher wanted me After seeing my audition tape which my boss made me do. But Arnold won. It’s still kind of hurts even though I never planned to be an actor. But land a good supporting role as a character actor and as you can see Michael Rookers been working ever since. In my case, it would’ve been nice work if I could’ve got it.

22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I never finished watching this. The "family scene" made me turn it off and I never went back. Disturbing is an understatement.

23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I watched this movie on late night TV when I was still in my teens and that scene traumatized me for days. It took away my sleep

24. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Mostly television. I recall some good notices for her role in the TV adaptation of Animal Kingdom which ended a couple of years ago.

25. ZackyDog

I knew of serial killers like Ted Bundy, Gary Ridgway, Jeffrey Dahmer, and John Wayne Gacy, but Henry lee Lucas somehow, eluded me.

[​IMG]

The Blu-ray with its bonus material is pretty interesting, but the film quality doesn't look like an improvement from the DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.