Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. biodawg

biodawg Forum Resident

Did you call or email?

The Pop Kids likes this.
  2. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

Sent an email expecting bad news. She replied with good news.

3. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

The colour and text layout on the spine is different from the 45 to the 33

[​IMG]

RiRiIII and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Ron is definitely doing something different in the process that the others are not because there is definitely a sound quality difference.

5. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

Ron seems to have his own sonic perspective. I think the 2019 SRX titles are a good example… some don’t like it, too bright, but personally I think it’s raw and beautifully engaging. Early-mid 60s RVG stuff often needs that handholding in mastering to keep it from sounding flat and lifeless, and it’s Ron’s approach I’d choose for those. It’s a different sound, sometimes subtly, sometimes not, than what Joe Harley & Kevin Gray (or Kevin Gray on his own) tend to cut.

6. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

Here are 3 needledrops of the 502 Blues from Wayne Shorter's Adam's Apple: Adam's apple - Google Drive
    the 1978 King pressing, the 1970 second pressing with RVG stamps and the most recent MMJ 33rpm on black vinyl.
    All unprocessed, recorded with the same levels.

AaronW, mikeyt, Dai and 3 others like this.
  7. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Hey now, under no circumstances does The Kicker qualify as crap. I played it last night, it's an excellent session. The other two, maybe :D I skipped them.

I agree on some of the other choices though. Pat Metheny? Love the guy, but when I want Blue Note, I'm not thinking 90s and certainly not Pat Metheny. Numerous good Andrew Hill sessions have never been reissued, but fear not because ScoLoHoFo is on the way! :confused:

If you're saying that MM already did the cream of the crop, then what's left? My only question is why someone appears to be leaving money on the table given how fast this latest batch went out the door.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

This is great, thank you for doing this! What cart and stylus are you using? By default VLC remembers the place in each track, so I can easily switch between the three in the same spot and compare.

I gotta say, I'm definitely preferring the 1970 pressing. It has really a nice pleasing, "natural" sound without the rather hard panning that the MM has. It also seems livelier than either the MM or King.

The MM might be a bit "smoother" but that could be because it's a new copy. MM is also lower in volume. The 1970 is clearer than the King.

I dug out my BN75 to compare, and despite it having a higher noise floor than the MM, it isn't that bad. Again the MM is cleaner. For a moment I was considering emailing Carol to see if they had any more, but now I don't think I need to.

9. p.analogowy

I'm using an AT VM95ML. To me they all sound excellent, just different :)

10. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

IMO the Tone Poet series 100% continues in the spirit of the MMJ series and over time I expect a number of worthwhile albums one might have expected MMJ to reissue shall make the cut just like the following great sessions: Further Explorations, It’s Time!, Black Fire, Oblique, One Flight Up, The Prisoner, Etcetera, Contours, The Waiting Game, Cornbread, and The Cooker. And no complaints from me about the addition of the Pacific Jazz titles !

However, I agree it’s inaccurate to call it a straight up “continuation.” If it were, wouldn’t it have been nice to have been able to pick up a number of titles MMJ has only reissued in 2x45rpm on 33rpm as a Tone Poet (as opposed to BN80 or Classic)? I’m sure many of us would prefer the Tone Poet presentation for 33rpm versions of OOP MMJ titles like Happenings, Juju, Inventions & Dimensions, Hub-Tones, Mosaic, The Real McCoy, Royal Flush, Leapin’ & Lopin’, Mode For Joe, One Step Beyond, etc…

Also, Passing Ships should have been 2x45rpm, blank sides are stupid…
    :hide:

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It would be great, but perhaps JH would be bored of repeating himself?

Most of the great MMJ titles have or will be on Blue Note Classics.

12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Surprisingly, the UPS guy has just delivered A Night In Tunisia. Arrived in great timing and in perfect condition.

Dignan2000, Elofan and mikeyt like this.
  13. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Not feeling great about my order at this point. It shipped on Aug 31, and then departed Memphis on Sep 2 to head to NOLA. Nothing yet, no information. Im assuming if it doesnt show up in the next 2-3 days that its lost. I take it MMJ wouldnt be able to replace my order if that were the case

14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Adam's Apple - I guess a side by side comparison to the BN75 isn't really fair. I passed on the 45 and SRX of Adam's Apple because as I was diving into MM's, I had the 75, the pressing was good surprisingly, and there were always other titles to grab.

Listening on headphones, the drums were the biggest improvement. They sound like behind a layer of cloth on the BN75, and so much more clarity on the MMJ. On speakers at a good volume, the dynamics. Wow. When the songs went up a notch, especially on the opener, they explode on the MMJ, where the BN75 doesn't have that same range. The drums were my biggest gripe over time with the BN75, that first song they just didn't kick the way I wanted it to. The MM takes care of that big time.

Also over time, the second song, 502 Blues, that song has grown on me big time as one of Shorters best quieter songs.

So glad they did this recent batch and I could finally grab this one, I'm a happy camper.

Zomvid, Biff Jones, timzigs and 13 others like this.
  15. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I knew if I made this post that I would magically get an updated. It landed at the post office today. Out for delivery tomorrow.

mikeyt, Elofan and periclimenes like this.
  16. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Thanks for posting these clips! Interesting to hear that the MM33 has a touch of the dreaded warble. The King sounds a little too subdued and the MM33 a little too bright, especially the cymbals, while the RVG has the best balance of the three to my ears. The King & the MM33 are pretty close in volume but I had to turn down the RVG about 3dB to match the volume of the other two.

mikeyt and p.analogowy like this.
  17. p.analogowy

Exactly, I was wondering if anyone will comment on it :) it seems to be slightly unstable in several places. The SRX pressing came out in 2019.

AaronW likes this.
  18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Inner Urge has some also.

Compared to some of the BN80s and TPs, it's pretty minor so I figured I wouldn't mention it.

But since you guys have... yup. :agree:

I haven't compared my Inner Urge 45 with the SRX for a couple of years but the 45 of Adam's Apple does not have the flutter issues found on the SRX/33.

Vic Trola, timzigs, mikeyt and 4 others like this.
  19. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

has anybody who placed their orders not received a shipping notification yet? a friend of mine still has not received notification. his order still shows "processing".

20. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

i have no warble that I can detect.

21. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

If you don’t hear it on the opening of “502 Blues” then you’re one of these “lucky” folks who can’t detect pitch fluctuation.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’ve not heard warble on inner urge SRX or the new Adam’s apple. I wasn’t very sensitive to it on the tone poet stuff though. I could hear it in black fire and barely on cornbread and not on any of the others.

mikeyt and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  23. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Update to my seam split conundrum…

just got an email with a new order number and it appears that replacement jackets for all 4 covers has been shipped out, this is wonderful.

Bobsblkwax, LivLif, recstar24 and 3 others like this.
  24. Very good news. I had an issue with my order as well and Carol was quick to respond (on a Sunday no less) and provide an immediate solution.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  25. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, is your comment a reference to the perfect pitch discussion from the Acoustic Sounds series thread?