Tears For Fears Live At Massey Hall To Be Released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrewb, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Check out Roland on the Rockonteurs podcast...it's a great, honest and open interview.

He does discuss that he doesn't feel they were a good live band on this tour which may account for how much re-recording they did in the studio.

JulesRules, ARK and Jagger69 like this.
  2. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Thanks, I just ordered that. I usually order from this distributor as Importcds. Always good service. They own so many websites, with slightly different prices. I look forward to hearing the cd. Everyone talking up the quality of the sound has me feeling good about it. I am listening to the other Massey recordings on the boxset, and they sound pretty thin. I am glad this will be an improvement, and more complete. Even if Roland tells everyone to shut up and stuff.

ARK and morgan1098 like this.
  3. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Enjoyed that thanks, have the vinyl and I have to say Roland's being charitable saying "our live vocals weren't great then" his are mostly fantastic whereas Curt's are off key quite a bit especially for the first few songs.

4. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Yeah, Curt has/had occasional pitch problems. You can also hear it in the Rockpalast show and a few others.

Jagger69 and D-rock like this.
  5. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Heck, I think Curt's vocals are borderline off-key on some of their studio albums, including for example "Who You Are" from ELAHE, which was released in the autotune age.

Jagger69 likes this.
  6. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

He's not great, always much preferred Roland's singing.

mrbiggs and morgan1098 like this.
  7. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

The mix of mad world sounds a bit odd in this .

jamesc and JulesRules like this.
  8. mrbiggs

mrbiggs Empires and Pants

I’m glad to hear someone else thinks this! I think Curt’s a backing singer at best. Roland’s voice is idiosyncratic but he could actually pitch and emote at the same time. I think Curt getting to sing lead on the early singles overstated his actual abilities.

9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I love Curt's vocals

danielbravo and Purple like this.
  10. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Overstated his abilities, but his vocals were perfect for Pale Shelter, Mad World, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and Advice for the Young at Heart. Roland's vocals improved after The Hurting, but Curt's were the vocals on hits in the beginning. And his vocals were better than what Roland's would have been on the songs in my opinion, and so he was important to the band's success. And those songs have stood the test of time. But Roland is the better singer. I wouldn't want a TFF album now with Curt singing lead on half of the songs.

His later work isn't great. He does sound flat. He needs the fullness of the music behind him and some harmony in places also. He does seem to stay samey in his music now as far as his vocals in a song. When he sings on more stripped down songs, it doesn't work. We''ll see how his songs are on the new album.

I listened to this song Roland's son, Pascal, put out back in July. I am surprised at what a great tone he has to his voice. I enjoyed the song.

Pulling Away, by Quarterboy

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  11. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

They’re both pretty off key these days. I think the contrast of the two is magic. I hope they utilize both of them on the new album.

NunoBento and D-rock like this.
  12. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I never felt Roland was off-key or had problems in 2017, while on tour with Hall & Oates. But on their tour in 2019, he did. I watched a few clips that showed Roland really struggling with certain songs. I don't know if it was throughout the tour or if it just happened occasionally. It was shocking, though, because he's always been such a strong singer.

JulesRules and Ryan Lux like this.
  13. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I should’ve quantified my statement with, “at times”. But they’re both still capable of great vocals.

14. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Do you think this tweet is about Tears for Fears?

[​IMG]

David Wild
    @Wildaboutmusic
    · Sep 7
    Today, I'm interviewing a group I've been a fan of for decades who've made what I believe is their best album yet. Our world may be troubled & the music industry may undervalue the people who actually make the music, yet in 2021, real artists somehow keep coming through for us.

JulesRules, D-rock and whisper3978 like this.
  15. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Well, he does say "I believe"...

ARK and whisper3978 like this.
  16. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Well, he did later post a picture of the two of them, with Roland looking like an old soothsayer and Curt looking exactly the same as he did in the late 90s.

JannL and morgan1098 like this.
  17. JulesRules

Yes. I posted about it here:
    News "in the next few weeks"!!! | The Tears For Fears Connection
    David had sent Curt a birthday tweet that clearly showed they were friendly, Curt liked the tweet you quoted above, David replied to most other suggestions except TFF, David then posted that new photo of them with him. It's all very promising.

18. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. It really does sound like we are finally going to get a new album from them.

JulesRules and D-rock like this.
  19. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Question: Do they have this album on streaming services now so I can listen to it?

JulesRules likes this.
  20. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Today was supposed to be the general release of the CD, right? I don't see it for sale on Amazon, and Spotify isn't showing it either.

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This thread doesn't seem to be about that live album anymore.

22. Classic Car Guy

That's right, Okay man... I really wanna hear it before I get the vinyl. The flippers are just messing up the music market.

23. Classic Car Guy

:biglaugh:... That's true. Its a common thing here on the site.
    "Come on man get with the program.":help:

D-rock likes this.
  24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Current discussion should stay here. "Boy who cried wolf" syndrome regarding this band and it's new album is an issue until we have a solid release date.

25. JulesRules