Dead Oppo 205 on ebay up to almost $1200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by moomoomoomoo, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

No, I wouldn't consider that unless I was desperate and it was an only option. No interest in running through a phone. I too often use the remote, checking time, chapter times, switching audio tracks, etc. And I do that by feel and knowing what buttons are where. Having to keep a cell phone on the couch with me (and I don't like cell phones, only really have one for work as its unavoidable now) and find functions in an app....I'd sooner look for a new player, I think.

I ended up getting one of these
    Remote Control For Oppo BDP-105 BDP-105AU BDP-105D 3D Blu-ray BD DVD Disc Player | eBay

Seems to be the same exact Chinese made replacement as listed on Amazon here, but cost $5 less on Ebay:
    https://www.amazon.com/HCDZ-Replace...od_1?pd_rd_i=B08C2W1ZPS&psc=1&tag=shforums-20

Works, however one issue is that these do not have a channel selector (the dip switch you set to 1-2-3). I guess they broadcast on ALL channels. Since I have a 205, I had my remotes set to different channels so turning on one wouldn't turn on the other. This replacement remote did turn on my 105, but also my 205. I tried changing the channel for my 205, but the new replacement remote still powers on both players. The remote is of course much lighter than the Oppo one, doesn't have the heft, and doesn't have backlight function. I won't miss that as I always disabled it, but I did like the feel of the Oppo remote.

Given what they go for on the secondary market, is it not possible for some company to actually make exact replicas of the Oppo remotes with the same feel, and ability to broadcast on specific channels for multiple device owners? I really hate that these great players aren't made and accessories just aren't readily available anymore!

2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo Thread Starter

Oppo was selling the replacement remotes for $10-$15........ then the flippers bought them all & now they sell for $100 on ebay.

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

***ers. I wish I'd had the foresight to buy backups.

4. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I own a OPPO UDP-203 essentially new in the box. Never used it. Was thinking of selling it and saw the prices. I still can't believe my eyes. WTF?

5. moomoomoomoo

I don't quite get the prices on the 03 series either. But other than POSSIBLY the Reavon's, there is nothing comparable to the 05 series. I've seen new ones sell for just under $5k. It is unreal.

I'd love to read a sonic comparison written by an audiophile writer I trust between the Reavon X-200 & the Oppo 205. I'd also like to know what the Reavon's are selling for in the USA & if there are any region free mods available.

6. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

You can buy the Reavon UBR-X200 here in Belgium for 1699 EUR. To me it looks suspicious and indeed an attempt to cash in on the "Oppo" market.
    DAC is BB PCM 1690 which I have not seen before. I will look for reviews.

I am still on the fence on this. My kids want a BD player, and I want to get into SACD. The Oppo is out of the question in light of the prices and right now I am more inclined to get a cheapt BD player for the kids and hunt down an audiophile SACD player for my rig.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Still, if you have a good working component and no working remote $100 is a good deal.

I recall paying nearly $1000CDN for a replacement Mark Levinson remote more than 10 years ago.

The Beave likes this.
  8. moomoomoomoo

I don't know about in Europe, but in the USA the Oppo 95 is inexpensive on the used market & sounds great on everything other than redbook cd. Sounds like an upper level mid fi player on redbook. Video is also tremendous.

The Beave likes this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

When I moved in 2016 I somehow lost a backup Esoteric P-10 remote. As the one that came with unit is 80$ dead, I've been kicking myself over this for years.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Often just a lens cleaning can clear that up. Or it can get worse, and mean the end will arrive in a while.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Once the disc spinner drive does out on one of these Oppos, then the remaining unit with the brain and DACs is still worth having around simply to decode multichannel files from a server or connected USB drive. It's still the "Swiss Army Knife" of file decodes. I'd buy a (cheap) 205 that cannot play discs anymore.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's likely the transport. I found CD sounds better even with the 205 using a Cambridge CXC transport and Oppo as the DAC. 205 is used only for SACD and DVDA. Frankly The 205 was worth the retail price as a DAC alone.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Frankly, the 103 I had and I was never fully happy with the internal DACs playback sound quality, especially for CDs. I stepped up and got a 105D and was happier. Then got an outboard DAC for stereo playback and was even more satisfied - leaving the Oppo 105D for multichannel exclusively.

14. moomoomoomoo

The '03 series was really marketed for non audiophile video.

agentalbert likes this.
  15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ve had a series of 03 models (budgetary reasons) and they’ve been great for audio, given their price points. Not as good as the 05 perhaps but better than any other universal player for the price.

ti-triodes and Bill Mac like this.
  16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Just had my 83 repaired by OPPO. $99, return shipping included. The only delay is shipping time since repairs usually take 1-2 days on their end.

moomoomoomoo and Budley like this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

There's a used 93 on ebay right now offered by a 100% feedback seller for $275 + tax shipped. I am not endorsing this seller, but as an fyi........

Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu-ray Player (NO REMOTE) | eBay

As of last week, Oppo was still selling 93 & 95 remotes for $8.00.

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

That depends on the price paid I guess. You'll snap up an Arcam DV-135 or 137 (sans Blu-ray) for about £250 these days, or the still stellar Cambridge 752BD for up to £350/400 and sometimes less and I'd suggest those will better the 03 models and challenge our better the 105D.

Still a great buy in its own right though.

19. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I paid full price for a Darbee 103, mainly used for video purposes. Beyond that, I effectively bought two regular 103’s for the price of one when Best Buy was selling their demo units.

20. moomoomoomoo

The Cambridge is that good sounding??? Wow! Is there a USA model or is it European only?

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yeah, check out some reviews from the time. They should still be online I think.

moomoomoomoo and ti-triodes like this.
  22. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The Cambridge 651, 752 and CXU are stellar players. Pretty much an OPPO with an upgraded audio section.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  23. moomoomoomoo

Are there region free hacks?

At least with the 752 the problem will be finding one. They appear to be discontinued, & there are none I could find on eBay.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  24. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thank you. That's not too bad.

ti-triodes likes this.
  25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.