John Carpenter's "The Thing" is getting a 4K UHD release September 2021

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Zep Fan, Jul 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I know, since film is a visual medium, why bother getting the current best visual presentation on disc? /s

JohnK

EVOLVIST and mikeyt like this.
  2. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

Why bother indeed? It's a constant game of upgrading to the latest and greatest TV, the latest and greatest media type, etc.

Are you really able to SEE a difference between the Blu-Ray and 4KUHD on the same TV?

If so, congrats to you, and congrats to your unlimited finances.

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Is this a joke or a actual question?.........:confused:o_O

4. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

If you don't have a brand new 4K capable TV, can you see a difference in resolution between blu-ray and a 4K disc?

Are the blacks 'blacker'?

Are the colors 'colorier'?

If your set is 2K, how is a 4K disc going to make a visual difference? The answer is it isn't because it doesn't have the ability to display more than 2k pixels per.

It's mostly marketing mumbo jumbo - unless you have the gear that can actually produce those resolutions it isn't worth it.

My blu-ray discs on my 2k 56" Samsung look wonderful, and I feel zero need to go buy a new set and new discs.

Add to that I can see without my glasses, so it's all subjective anyway.

5. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

That's one benefit to the new release of The Thing: they have included BOTH a 4K UHD disc if you happen to have a 4K TV and they are providing a Blu-ray disc for folks that have not yet upgraded to the 4K medium. Even though you may be completely satisfied with your current TV (2K), at some point that will kick the bucket and you will need to purchase a new one. Chances are when that happens it will be either a 4K or 8K tv set and you will have a future proof copy of the film to keep you satisfied.

While it may be subjective regarding picture quality and the need to upgrade, this new release of The Thing is the first time they have gone back to the Original Camera Negative which should make quite a difference even if you are only watching the Blu-ray disc. Of course, this will not be the Be-All-End-All release of the movie either. I see Scream Factory releasing another special edition of this film in 4K and most likely include the original audio mixes that this release has neglected.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    hi_watt and mikeyt like this.
  6. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

It appears the included Blu-ray with this new 4K UHD release is of the old master, so no new benefit is gained with the included Blu-ray.

Zep Fan and JCRW like this.
  7. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

All the more reason to hold off another year or so for the inevitable Shout Factory Super Deluxe Edition that will include everything but the kitchen sink. ;)
    I'm personally holding off on this release for that reason alone. Shout has the potential to not only provide the updated 4K scan on a UHD & Blu-ray disc, they will provide the original audio tracks which are equally as important as the picture quality.

mikeyt and Heavy Music like this.
  8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I’m not sure you got my sarcasm, but Yes, on my system I can clearly see the difference between a DVD, Blu-Ray, and 4K disc. I don’t have unlimited finances and carefully choose what discs to upgrade.

And if you don’t have a 4K capable system, why are you commenting on the quality of 4K discs? :confused:

JohnK

9. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

What's ironic about this line of discussion is that most of the guys around here have no qualms about buying the same album 5 or 6 times when it gets remastered or an MFSL or an HD Tracks or whatever. But people who love a movie and want to upgrade to a higher definition format are knuckleheads. :rolleyes:

EVOLVIST, alan967tiger, jhm and 7 others like this.
  10. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

The people that will argue with you that the colors are colorier -dammit google keeps trying to correct me-are the ones
    that took out a 2nd mortgage on their man cave entertainment system.:shh::eek::rolleyes::cool::agree::whistle::tsk::cop::help::hide::biglaugh:

RhodyDave125 likes this.
  11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

You originally asked ..........
    "Are you really able to SEE a difference between the Blu-Ray and 4KUHD on the same TV?"

Then AFTER my response you change the question and add the bolded proviso's. (with a touch of sarcasm )..:tsk: ;)

If you asked these exact questions first my response would have been as below.

IME .......possibly due to the much higher bitrates and less compression of a 4K UHD.....
    I found PQ and AQ to be improved over the equivalent BD.
    (using an OPPO 205 into a Pioneer KRP500M 1080p Plasma)

Anyway glad you are happy with 2K.........:wave:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    alan967tiger and mikeyt like this.
  12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Do you have a source link about this? I guess it's why the Shout steelbook has dropped in price on eBay.

13. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I think the Shout steelbook actually does contain their standard blu-ray as well, the 2016 2K scan supervised by Dean Cundey.

The Thing [Limited Edition Steelbook] (SOLD OUT) - Blu-ray :: Shout! Factory

14. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

No source really, it's just that Shout Factory still have the licensing for The Thing and have a track record of re-releasing titles whenever they see fit. For example, they released Halloween II on Blu-ray 3 times in the last 7 years and all three are different from each other. It will be easy for them to release The Thing as a 4K release because they already did most of the work on their Limited Edition Blu-ray release. They just need to port over the new 4K scan and keep all of the bonus features and audio mixes from the prior Blu-ray and done.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Thing is like my version of Aja or Who's Next. It's my favourite film so I collect different versions of it.

Even if it wasn't, I think getting a really good remaster on BD or 4K is worth it for a loved film. DVD looks a bit dated now with the subsequent formats, although I'm not yet 4K so can't really judge the different between BD and 4K and if it's worth it.

alan967tiger, mikeyt and hi_watt like this.
  16. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I've never understood why people get critical of how others spend their money. It seems rather petty to me.

EVOLVIST, alan967tiger and hi_watt like this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I'll wait for the 12K release...

Isolar801 likes this.
  18. Isolar801

Isolar801 Forum Resident

Hopefully the 12k release will have Dolby Batmos....

mikeyt and daglesj like this.
  19. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

And a special commentary track from Jed the wolf dog.

Isolar801 likes this.
  20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Hmm, perhaps. I had thought that releasing in 4K might require a different license than what they already have. And since they previously used Arrow's 4K scan, I also wonder if they would do their own rather than just using Universal's and adding it to their set. I guess we'll find out and if the steelbook has fun art, I'll have to triple dip :laugh:

21. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on Thread Starter

I'll have Dolby Mu

Isolar801 likes this.
  22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Why post in a 4K thread if you have no interest in 4K? I don’t get it. It reminds me of Amazon user reviews I’ve read where the posters call blu-rays a con job because they don’t look any better than DVDs and then admit they didn’t watch the blu-ray that their reviewing.

alan967tiger likes this.
  23. Yes sometimes it does but I’m very selective on films that I’m upgrading unlike with DVD to regular able-Ray where there was a substantial noticeable bump for many titles. The Thing is my favorite John Carpenter film. I have Escape from New York on Blu-ray and I really don’t see ju,ping to 4K,for thst. The jump to 4K for They Live had minimal benefit IMHO.,I mean it looks great but I didn’t see a huge bump.

it has to be HDR compatible<for the colors to pop the way they should and size DOES matter in this instance. Having said that, I’ve seen black crush less of an issue (again, this also has to do with mastering and authoring as well but the extra resolution does matter in some instances). Having said that, I’m selective. 1P when was it made (I don’t think there would be a huge bump with some films made in the 1920’s-1940’s). Hitchcock’s Vertigomdid benefit from the jump due no the color scheme (samemwith butmto a lesser extent with Rear a window). Many films shot digitally in 2K that are up rezzed, I see less of a big difference there but there is some minimal improvement albeit it is artificially created. For example, even Lord,of the Rings demonstrated both improved image wualitynbut also displayed the limitations of the original,source material.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. I think it’s more along the lines of others pushing them to spend the money for things that may not make a difference to them. Some folks will guilt others into doing this. It’s like vinyl vs. CD or high def audio downloads vs. CD. You like what you like and different people have different spending situations.

25. Yeah maybe. I don’t know that there will be that much of a market for this because a lot,of,folks (me) will just keep their Blu-Ray and combine it with the 4K. I gave away my Blu-ray that came with the 4K because it’s the original Blu which looks awful. I do think we will see this with other smaller Carpenter titles like Escape from NY, etc. like we did with They Lice and a prince of Darkness. I’m hoping we get an improved Starman 4K as well from Shout if Columbia won’t release or.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.