Hana Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JMT, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Always nice to see detailed reports like this ... but, How Long Should a Paragraph Be? :)

2. GyroT

GyroT Forum Resident

About as long as anything on Topographic Oceans! :yikes:

3. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I just installed a Hana EL on a Rega P2. Lets just say that the EL is miles ahead or the Rega Carbon that came with the table. This cartridge elevates the P2 several notches. The EL is abour 1mm taller than the Carbon so I didn't mess with any spacers. Just installed with the fromt of the Hana flush with the fromt of the tonearm (with the rega protractor).

Listening to Mercy Street from Peter Gabriel So box set was amazing. The haunting character of that song just came forth from my speakers. Music just flows from the table. Dave Matthews Band Crash LP just works its magic. Even old vinyl like The Police Synchronicity has great vibe and flow.

Can't say enough about this cartridge. Its amazing and puts my simple P2 up to the level of the rest of my system.

Said system: Monitor Audio RS8, Naim UnitiQute, Sonore MicroRendu, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Rega P2 W/ Hana EL, Lehmann Audio Black Cube Statement.

displayname likes this.
  4. Voxy

Voxy Active Member

I just set up the EL on SL1200GR. So far I am using Schitt Mani as phono stage, the sound so far is on par with MP200.

anyone using same setup as I am wondering what setting should be done on the TT and the Mani. I am also looking to upgrade the phono stage later after settling on my power amps. Any recommendations would also be welcome.

thanks

displayname likes this.
  5. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I’m enjoying the EH on my new P3.

mdelrossi, willboy and Voxy like this.
  6. Voxy

Voxy Active Member

Anyone had MOON 110 PHONO with Hana cart? Are these spec sufficient to support MC cart?

Design features
    • End-user adjustable impedance loading (47kΩ, 475Ω, 100Ω, 10Ω)

• End-user adjustable capacitance loading (0pF, 100pF, 330pF, 430pF)

• End-user adjustable gain settings for moving magnet and moving coil cartridges (40dB, 50dB, 54dB, 60dB, 66dB)

• End user selectable curve (IEC/RIAA)

• Four layer PCB tracings using pure copper for low impedance characteristics

• Inductive DC Filtering for a significantly lower noise floor

• Compact, rigid all-aluminum chassis with gold-plated RCA connectors

• Designed to be powered up at all times for optimal performance

7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yes, I'd start at 60dB gain, 475Ω resistance, and 430pF capacitance, and then listen for a while, tailoring to your taste from there. Try 0 capacitance, 100Ω resistance, lower the gain and bump it up, though try to level match when adjusting gain so you aren't fooled by the louder one.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  8. Bertram

Bertram Well-Known Member

I have the Hana SL, my first MC cartridge. After hours of playing around with settings, I’ve settled on 64 dB and 475 ohms on my Sutherland 20/20 with my Clearaudio Concept. To my ears this is the best balance/gain interplay with my Hegel integrated.

9. Voxy

Voxy Active Member

thanks... I am currently on 470 ohm and 58Db gain with the Mani after tweaking it today. Sounds pretty good.... not bad for a cheap phono amp. Transparent, analogish, detailed resolution and textured bass... haha I can live with it.:D

the only problem is that I need to turn the amp by another 10 dB more compare to MP200. I think the investment in iFi DC adaptor for Mani and good low capacitance silver phono cables helps the overall system to sound better.

Nice cart compared to the MP200. I was looking at the Denon 103R before I settle for the Hana EL. The sound overall is as good as SACD via Marantz SA8005 with slightly better bass extension. I will try some phono plugs and see what is the best settings for EL.

10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I have the 310LP with the Hana ML. Essentially the same loading options as the 110. Very sufficient and very nice sounding.

JohnK

Andy Saunders likes this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Is the general consensus that the Hana bodies ride very close to the record surface? It appears to be less than a mm between the cartridge and record with the tonearm parallel to the surface. Makes me hesitant to play warped records.

12. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I'll cop to saying my SH rides low.

I have some slightly wavy records that it still plays fine on. One or two used truly warped records - it doesn't track. But then I wouldn't use any good cartridge on them. They resemble a motocross track.:p

Helom and AppleCorp3 like this.
  13. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

I have an EL (great sounding cart for the $$) and it rides very low. was worried until I forgot about it. It becomes and issue with some edge warps and I did get an otherwise mint copy of a rare record that had a lump bump on the raised groove guard that caused a skip on the lead in.

I also have mine on a td124 so even though the weight is properly set there could be some attraction at play though I suppose it shouldn't make a difference.

Helom likes this.
  14. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

I would like to know this also as my SL appears to ride about a mm above the record. I have not yet bottomed out though.

15. Dbris

Dbris Well-Known Member

Hi, I realise this is an old thread, but after playing my new Hana EL for around 20 hours I'm getting static pops and crackles when the tonearm descends towards the vinyl. It sounds like the issue you described. Did your replacement Hana hold up okay?

16. WayneC

WayneC Hopelessly addicted to vinyl

FWIW, I have my Hana ML for sale on the classifieds section. About 100 hours, just over a year old, £700.00.

17. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

That sounds like a wiring issue in your tone arm? The cart shouldn’t be capable of doing that if it isn’t touching the record.

Dbris and displayname like this.
  18. Dbris

Dbris Well-Known Member

I'm going through a process of elimination.
    The system was fine with the previous cart, and I've since read reports of some Hana cartridges failing internally and creating this static popping that I'm intermitantly experiencing when lowering the tonearm. (It's very strange as it doesn't happen if I move the tonearm around with the platter spinning but no vinyl on, only when I lower thr tonearm towards the vinyl, and not every time)

Next thing I'm going to do is try a different cart to eliminate tonearm wiring, phono stage etc. and the I'll contact the dealer.

displayname likes this.
  19. Dbris

Dbris Well-Known Member

Update - Hana EL cartridge is now working fine. After checking everything, and re-fitting the cartridge, I think it was a loose blue wire connecting to the cartridge rear; my error!
    Good news is the Hana EL sounds great, and I much prefer it over the 2m Bronze, even though the Hana is only an elliptical.

20. thetakeout

thetakeout Forum Resident

Google hasn't been my friend. Question to the Hana faithful. I saw someone mention on Audiogon that they liked Hana's Trade in/Trade Up policy. Can anyone shed light on what that might be?

21. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

My experience with Hana cartridges has been good.

22. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

Elusive disc has the cartridge manufacturer trade in rates listed in all their cartridge listings. You can check there.

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I own an ML. Delighted with it.

myles likes this.
  24. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

EL and SL have .5 mv output. Reading the posts many people uses 60 dB in the preamp.

60dB means 1000x voltage ratio, so .5mv means .0005v and after 1000x -> .5 volts or 500 mv

Depending on line preamp input sensitivity, that can be good ... or not. Messing with MC cartridges is a bit complicated, at least for me ... all this gain stuff makes me nuts.

25. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Same here - it became even better when I added the PH10 phono stage, much to my amazement.