When was the last time the Beatles were happy as a band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt, Sep 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I think if Lennon hadn't had the lads for support, he would have crashed and burned the way Dylan and Wilson did in the mid-60s.

All three seemed to be in crisis around the same time.

Odd, that.

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Their two last seasons at the SC they were massively misserable, hating being in Hamburg

3. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

I think being unhappy as a Beatle is something none of us can relate to in the slightest. Being unhappy as a Beatle probably still equated being as happy as freaking can be because you’re a Beatle and also rich.

Sear and MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt like this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" I thought it was you three."

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

sorry, I cannot agree...you're pitying The Beatles? ut uh...they need no pity...they lived in perfect world...THEIRS...they owned the World musically...so some critic decides they look worn on an album cover and it is forever repeated throughout the years...torture? please... no pity party...

Sear likes this.
  6. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Wonder if it was when they did the Esher demos for The White Album?!?!

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  7. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Before they all got married?

8. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Yes! Love this

joy stinson and Crimson Witch like this.
  9. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Not pity, my friend, Michael."Perfect World"?
    Perfect worlds only exist in fairly tales, and here at SHF.

It is called "empathy" and trying to visualize and contextualize just what that level of fame and notoriety did to ones psyche, and what it must have been like to live with that pressure on an hourly basis, for close to 10 years of their lives.

Did you watch that interview? It did not look or feel like any form of 'perfection" to me.
    And I'm watching it after the fact with 60 years of hindsight, with quite a high level of detachment, and no emotional involvement whatsoever..

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  10. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

And speaking of 'Perfect Worlds". Let's remember how this perfect Beatles story really ends.

One of those 4 individuals living in that so called 'perfect world' is SHOT TO DEATH. Simply because he was a Beatle!!
    So yeah...Perfect. Shakespeareanly perfect.

And another is savagely attacked in his home, and dies shortly after that...again, perfect!

11. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

In answer to the question, the last time they were happy could have been in 1967 when Brian Wilson was in the midst of crashing when he could not finish Smile.

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I agree in a sense but Lennon, was a pretty strong character in terms of physical stamina and psychological "strength". He did, after all, kick Heroin which, according to Tony Sanchez, he could really put away. I think John's biggest weakness in life was Yoko (specifically any potential loss of Yoko). By many written accounts, she was seriously considering leaving him once (if and when) her own career took off following the Double Fantasy period. How true this actually was/is, we'll probably never know. But iIthink that's the one thing-Yoko leaving him for good-that would have literally killed him.

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Micahel...love you and your posts but you're really off base here, I think. In the sense of physical gain and adulation, yea, it was the perfect world. But in the grand, overall scope of life, their world was relatively no more perfect than the guy who gets up to go to his menial little job every day and comes home to a nice family. In many. many ways, that's far more perfect. This may sound dumb on the surface, but in many ways, it was Pete Best who was the luckiest Beatle. For whatever it's worth (if anything at all), I, like many others, had given up everything in my life in the frantic search of "making it" in the music business. Had a band, original songs, made demo tapes, played the crappy bars over and over...nothing mattered but "making it". N O T H I N G. Then John gets shot and killed. Made me rethink ***EVERYTHING***. Chances are, I wouldn't have made it anyway, like most of "us" schmoes who chase(d) this dream. But once this happened to my seemingly invincible "hero" (at that point in my life), I actually thought, what's it all really worth.

14. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

I've heard people say when they got together at George's house to make the Esher demos was the last time they played together as "friends."

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  15. Michael

I get and respect your point totally, but I just see it differently...as they say we agree to disagree...indeed.

16. Michael

fair enough but I stand...

DK Pete likes this.
  17. Michael

do you realize how many poor people die everyday?...I don't feel the love....sorry.

Hermes likes this.
  18. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Unfortunately, I get this one. I too followed that dream before John’s passing, when I stopped performing music, rejected that possibility, switched to composition, various media soundtracks with some success. Since that tragic day, I prefer to work behind the scenes, the dream still there.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt and DK Pete like this.
  19. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Losing John was heartbreaking enough, yet, it also put the fear of god into this Beatle fan. I mean life changing stuff, reconciling one’s ambition, the meaning of success. What would John say? “We we’re at our best when we were creating together.”

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For me it wasn't so much about fear as a result of what happened to John...it was more if a reset way of looking at life and what really mattered to me. Even while I was pursuing music, in the back of my mind I also knew that at some point I wanted kids and a family. For whatever reason, John's untimely death suddenly made me realize that I couldn't sufficiently have both. One thing I didn't want was to be out there doing music in whichever capacity and having a kid or two at home who I never got to see or they, me. Seemingly out of the blue, no amount of musical success was worth that to me.

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think it was the day Ringo quit. Ringo because he didn't have to put up with it anymore (for the rest of the day); Paul because he finally had an excuse to take over as drummer as well; John because he didn't have to put up with any more "Ringosongs", and George because...he knew it was his turn to quit next. :D

Hermes likes this.
  22. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Touring the country with family in a multicolored double decker can only go so far. You did the right thing.

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt and DK Pete like this.
  23. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

You can be very rich, very successful and with all the 'trappings' of success, yet still not happy.

But happy as a band? Impossible to know and even for the members who wouldn't necessarily know how the others were feeling at any given time. I don't think The Beatles themselves really understood their break up, though. Confusion abounds here.

What is more clear, though is they were still able to make great music up to the end and the artistic functionality, which creates its own happiness through musical achievement, remained intact.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Very well said, start to finish.

25. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis Thread Starter

Something in that. Not saying they should never have married, but the wives/girlfriends did change the dynamic, and forced them to divide their attentions. What was it George said? 'then these other (lol!) wives came along and drove a wedge between us'. Couldn't have been easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.