Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Britto Vincent

Britto Vincent Forum Resident

Bigdz68 likes this.
  2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Rec'd today from Mofi. Shipped from North Las Vegas, Nev. 00997 Desperado and 001158 s/t. Eager to hear these titles. Dreams of an Eagles One-Step integrale.

Joti Cover and ultron9 like this.
  3. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I have yet to do a head to head comparison with an early White Asylum label copy I own but will be doing so the next day or two.

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I preordered the eagles s/t from MoFi in August and I’m still waiting for confirmation that it shipped.

I did look this release up on Discogs to see if it’s been added to the database yet. It has though not a lot of information posted yet. One thing that shocked me is the poor rating this release has so far. 7 people rated it at 86%. That’s below 5 stars. I don’t think any of the previous one step releases are below 5 stars. It’s a small sample size but still alarming to me. I don’t typically spend this kind of money on a record. I did it for the one step blood on the tracks and I was not disappointed. This eagles release has me concerned though.

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

But how many have actually got one of these? People sometimes submit ratings for all kinds of reasons.

ultron9 likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I received the s/t SACD. You will not be disappointed

Joti Cover and ultron9 like this.
  7. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

I rate the Album not the release with the stars.

ultron9 likes this.
  8. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

That’s a great point. I wish Discogs had ratings for the album and a separate rating for the pressing quality.

ultron9 and John D. like this.
  9. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

I was curious about that when I started using Discogs. But it seems to me that they don't have a direct "release" rating thing. Since it wasn't obvious that's what it was for, I use it for the "Album". So, for example I have The Eagles One Step which I think sounds fantastic pretty much end to end. I would give it 5 stars for the release. But my rating is probably 3 stars as I think it is perfunctory pop rock. It's well done, but not that particularly interesting. If it was my wife's account, it would be 32 stars even if the record itself sounded like it was being drug down the road behind a truck..

ultron9 likes this.
  10. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

It’s possible to add your own rating system, or other fields, as many as you like. You can do this if you go to Settings, and then you click on Collection. There you can add whatever you want.

ultron9 likes this.
  11. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

I do that. But it doesn't work across the site as a way to identify good pressings

12. MWebb

MWebb You and me...we died a long, long time ago

Unfortunately true, but inevitable for any site that has ratings, let alone ratings without a definition for how those ratings are intended to be applied. Even if Discogs had provided guidance that the goal was to rate the pressing quality, then there would still be a subset of people using the ratings for their own purposes.

My general experience is that ratings are only as useful as the comments that users are allowed to add to define what they were rating based on. Raw numbers are pretty useless almost everywhere because people are using different criteria, might just hate the band, might have had a bad customer experience with vendor du jour, etc, etc.

13. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

Quite honestly - and as AnalogJ says - There can be all sorts of reasons for a negative rating.
    Because the very first rating for the Eagles S/T One Step on Discogs was put up suspiciously early and was ridiculously low, I even wondered whether the person who rated it was just some miserable bastard/smart **** who decided that for some reason he didn’t like the Eagles or the idea of an Eagles one step, or one step, or something else irrelevant (and bear in mind that there’s a possibility that that person doesn’t even have/has not even heard the album), we shouldn’t be overly concerned.
    The star ratings which have followed the first one have been quite a good deal higher, and I think you’ll find that the overall rating will improve as time goes by and more people receive the albums.

And personally, I take far more notice of the reviews and ratings and opinions offered on this forum than I do of those on Discogs…

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    AnalogJ likes this.
  14. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip on True Sound. Didn't know about him.

And Tim is fantastic - super nice guy. He's been in the neighborhood for years, and we're lucky to have him. Got my Line Magnetic 518ia and Miyajima cart from him.

Bigdz68 and AnalogJ like this.
  15. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Agreed on Tone of Music above. Tim is great!

And Music Lovers has serviced the gear I've purchased from them - not sure if that extends to other stuff, but they are wonderful as well.

I had pretty serious foot surgery one time from an old rugby injury, and was going to be stuck in bed for three weeks. Once they learned this, and fully unsolicited, a member of the Music Lovers staff came over, and proceeded to professionally set up my turntable (VTA, cart, everything), amp - basically my full rig - right next my bed. They refused my money and wished me a speedy recovery. Really nice people.

16. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

You're putting an Eagles bumper sticker on your Lancia?

Drew769 likes this.
  17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Interesting story by Hobson about the Classic and the UHQR (around 4:58)

Myke, MisterBritt and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. AnalogJ

I can corroborate Nick at True Sound. Excellent work and a good guy.

OptimisticGoat and wwright like this.
  19. Britto Vincent

Britto Vincent Forum Resident

Thank you!

wwright likes this.
  20. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

HA! I was wondering myself what the Delta will be between the original and the One Step…

21. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Well, finally got shipping notice from Mofi.

Looks like Desperado is on the way, but no shipping update on Eagles yet. I’m not sure why they didn’t ship together..

Dmann201 and ultron9 like this.
  22. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Hopefully, it is out of mercy toward those of us who purchased both. Thank God they are not releasing Janis Joplin and Carole King as well.

Tullman, Dmann201 and Echoes Myron like this.
  23. AnalogJ

I'm actually considering canceling both Desperado and Pearl. I have excellent copies of both, and I need to budget.

I still will have The Eagles s/t and the CSN on order.

FashionBoy and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  24. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

You're not alone on that one. I prepaid for the Eagles s/t through MoFi and look forward to a ship date (any day now?). I just cancelled my preorder of Desperado yesterday. I had that on preorder through Music Direct. I knew I was buying it more as a completist than wanting this album on One-Step. I just couldn't justify the $125+ for that reason. I'm looking forward to the s/t and some of the other Eagles one-step but had to pass on Desperado.

AnalogJ likes this.
  25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I can't stop thinking about your post. It would be so awesome. ;)