Abraxas - One step vs 50th Anniversay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndrewSlattery, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Man… so much “yikes” in this thread.

One side says “I have heard no other version of this record and I can’t imagine it being better so it’s nearly as good as the one step and will soon be worth $500”

Another side says “I haven’t heard this record but I have a more expensive version and therefore this version sucks and can’t be as good as mine”

Guess what - both sides are ripe with logical flaws.

The 50th KG cut sounds good. It is also probably from digital. That’s OK, if it sounds good, who cares? But if KG “can’t reveal sources” - it’s digital.

Trying to compare a modern cut of Abraxas with vintage Beatles and Pink Floyd cuts makes zero sense, but if we want to go there, my original UK Beatles and Pink Floyd records sound miles better than the Abraxas 50th to my ears.

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

To my knowledge those were rarely very good compared to standard or other audiophile releases. Although it may be an exception like the Wish You Were Here.
    I would not bet a lot of money on it being the best in any case.

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I'm going to give my take on it very soon. I have the regular MOFI and the ARS and I am receiving the 50th today. I'll see if I can add anything helpful to the conversation. Give me a day or two.

AndrewSlattery, Leonthepro and teag like this.
  4. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Not sure I understand your comment. You mean it is closed minded not to buy this new version if you already own the 1 step just to be able to compare the two? The likelihood that it should sound better is quite slim I would say. The 1 step sounds amazing.

Is the music fantastic? Not in my opinion. But it does sound fantastic.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have no idea what you are talking about.

6. Leonthepro

Will be most interesting.

7. Leonthepro

Im saying its closed minded to believe that one version is the be all end all with no need to try others. Just because its worth a lot of money or sounds good doesnt mean other pressings cant compete. Im sure it sounds great, still plenty of reason to have threads like this where people can compare pressings though.

8. Leonthepro

Kevin Grays initials.

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Where?

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Right. Kevin Gray cuts some records from digital files. He does the work he is paid to do and uses the sources he is given.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  11. Leonthepro

Might want to reread the thread.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Everyone should knock off the "did not" "did too" schoolyard brawl and wait for someone with access to both the one step and the recent Kevin Gray remaster to do an A/B comparison. Beyond having someone report on that, it's all nonsense.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Mr. Vague. I don't know why you brought up Rumours. There was plenty of provenance for Rumours being AAA. Alright, if you are talking about the Santana 50th Anniversary, I believe it is a digital cut, because there is zero provenance indicating AAA. Just because Kevin Gray cut it doesn't mean it's AAA. Again, KG runs a mastering studio and does the work he is paid to do. Sure, he prefers AAA, but has no problem cutting from digital files. I'm sure the 50th Santana sounds great because KG does great work.

14. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just bought a near mint Japanese original quad SQ record. Very much looking forward to hearing it. My SQ quads of Dark Side of the Moon and Bridge over Troubled water sound incredible.

PineBark likes this.
  15. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

The 50th sounds awesome.

I don't and won't have the one step.

AndrewSlattery likes this.
  16. Leonthepro

I agree this cut is probably digital. But your original statement was that if there is no clear indication for it being AAA, its digital, which there are plenty examples of not being true, like Rumours. You have to read into it to realize its AAA, nothing on the release says its AAA from what I can see.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    AndrewSlattery likes this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ok, I should have said it's most likely digital. Digital files are easier and less expensive to master than an analog tape. Most labels don't want to bother with tapes, so we end up with digital cuts.

This is a problem. I don't doubt there are recent AAA releases that do not indicate source. Labels don't mention source because they want to keep people guessing. Anyone in the know will tell you that most reissues are from a digital file. Why are original pressings getting so expensive?

I don't know about Europe, but here in the USA it's pretty obvious which Rumours remaster is AAA.

rockclassics likes this.
  18. AndrewSlattery

The most notable ones that definitely don't say AAA are things like Van Morrison's first few albums cut by Kevin, Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Joni Mitchell - Blue (Steve and Kevin's cuts) Definitely AAA. Definitely no hype. Also the only way to tell the AAA rumours from the rubbish one is the tiny difference on the hype sticker that says pressed at Pallas. Same goes with some of the OJC titles that use old AAA plates. They're 100% AAA and pressed at RTI and have no hype about either. I think it's the case of some marketing people understanding the value of mentioning that it's analogue, eg Blue note, and some having no clue why it's valuable to mention.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Leonthepro likes this.
  19. AndrewSlattery

This just arrived in the post! I'll report back how it sounds vs the 50th after I have a good listen. The vinyl is in PERFECT condition, so I'm looking forward to it!

Santana – Abraxas (1971, SQ, Vinyl)

20. Leonthepro

Found this one at my local store once, skipped on it since I dont have a quad system anyway.

21. AndrewSlattery

The quad SQ is different. It's designed to present the quad mix in two channels. However what I have learnt from other quad sq titles of mine, they process incredibly if you have a Dolby amp and good headphones.

This quad version is crazy. Almost impossible to compare to the standard. For a start it's a completely different mix and even completely different takes. Its almost like the Fleetwood Mac alternatives album haha. It's actually like they're playing the album live

The other crazy thing is how 3D the sound is! It's essentially like listening in Dolby Atmos. Not just 4 speaker but full 3D surround.

The vinyl on this is sensational too. After a good clean it's quieter than my Mofi albums.

You can also hear how ridiculously fresh the tapes were given this was released in Japan first. It's like the difference between hearing the Dark Side of the Moon quad original vs Kevin's 30th anniversary.

If you like Abraxas and haven't heard this track it down! I wasn't expecting anything like this. The way I'd describe the album is like hearing the live version of Dark side of the moon on the pulse album vs the original. They're completely different mixes but equally amazing.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Leonthepro likes this.
  22. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Ok. Let’s hope that somebody who owns the 1 step acquires the new one and provides an honest review.

23. Leonthepro

Seems that about to happen with @Vinylfindco

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you are listening to a '70s quad record through a Dolby decoder, you are not hearing the quad mix. You are hearing some alternate presentation to the standard stereo version. But a Dolby decoder does not properly decode the original 4.0 quad mix. You are not hearing what the artist/producer intended. Think of it as: "I took the four-track tape and randomly played with the levels and here you go..."

25. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

I have the standard MFSL,the One Step MFSL,the Ars by Kessler,a japan pressing 20AP2602 and the 50th anniversary.
    For me the best is the One Step,but compared to the original price the Ars is the winner.IMHO