Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Woops. :laugh:

TonyACT likes this.
  2. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

This is my box, some excellent performances of Russian repertoire - the Beethoven is also quite interesting:

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Wes H and George P like this.
  3. George P

[​IMG]

Just ordered this 2CD set, excited to hear the rare Faure recordings within. Transfers are by Mark Obert-Thorn.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I bought this on a 2-LP set from the Musical Heritage Society back in 1981. It cost around $9 back then.

[​IMG]

Daedalus, George P and TonyACT like this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

You're on a real Fauré roll!

George P likes this.
  6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have the Warner box, one of the Historic Russian Archives( Brilliant Classics) some performances contained in the Legendary Soviet Recordings box and numerous LPs.

TonyACT likes this.
  7. Daedalus

This morning I am listening to some lovely Chopin performances by Ashkenazy. Twelve Etudes, op 10, 25. These are recordings from 1959 and 1960. The CD is part of the box set, “The Legendary Soviet Recordings” which was issued by a Korean company a few years ago but was available in Japan.

TonyACT, Wes H and George P like this.
  8. George P

I hope they have mastered this well. I have two separate masterings (both Melodiya) for these great performances and neither have a decent mastering.

TonyACT likes this.
  9. Daedalus

They claim 24/96 remastering. They sound pretty decent. Seem to be based on radio broadcast archive tapes. The coughs, ambient noises come through here and there on some performances, but, in this case, the beauty of the Ashkenazy Chopin playing was fully able to be heard and appreciated.

George P and TonyACT like this.
  10. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

Is that the 10cd RCA box? If so that's the one I have. You can't have too many copies of Rubenstein's Chopin, can you:D. I seem to have acquired a few LPs of his Chopin from charity stores.

11. Daedalus

I have the mega Rubinstein box set. You mentioned his earlier/earliest? recordings the other day-this box has a very large number of the early recordings which had been released on 78s back in the day.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  12. Mild Mavis

I suppose, for me, some comment on the recording is essential. I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in what I'm listening to just for the sake of it.

TonyACT and Daedalus like this.
  13. Daedalus

I, for one, have been making the effort to flesh out my commentary. I know that some folks don’t want to offend perhaps by seeming to be “authorities” or some such and are, therefore, reluctant to extensively comment. But, we are all music/sound quality fans to one degree or another and may be profiting by shared experience.

Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  14. George P

I find his music to be intriguing, and that my enjoyment of it increases with repeat listening.

Wes H likes this.
  15. George P

While I always appreciate discussion on any classical music topic in this thread, I don't want people to feel required to do so.

I hope that discussions will take place organically,, but I may start introducing regular topics from time to time.

McLover, TonyACT and Daedalus like this.
  16. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

A question for the connoisseurs:
    I read and hear a lot of praise for Rudolf Serkin's recording of the Schumann piano concerto with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra (it's David Hurwitz' "however" recording of the piece, for example). But the deal is, they recorded it three times: 1946, 1956 and 1964. Which of the three is your favorite?

17. Mild Mavis

Music is so subjective. Everyone has an opinion. I know I'm sometimes caught up in a case of "the kings new clothes":D. I trawl these pages looking for comments on recordings. It's not so bad just now as I have Qobuz but I'm thinking of giving up streaming as I'm not making the most of my LPs and CDs. Yesterday, whilst reorganising my classical CD shelving I came across a couple of CDs I didn't realise I had, the beautiful Melancholie by Zhenn Li (a 2018 recording by Steinway and Sons of solo piano by Lourie, Bartok and Schumann which is worth checking out), and Monteverdi's Lettera Amorosa, beautifully sung by Marianna Flores, Cappella Mediterranea and Leonardo Garcia Alarcon. I have to admit i need to listen to the latter some more before I know whether it's my kind of music.
    Edit. Just shows how little I know. Leonardo Garcia Alacron plays harpsichord and spinett, while Cappella Mediterranea is the instrumental septet. I really need to do my homework properly:shake:.

Martinu and TonyACT like this.
  18. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Weren't you the one who prefers Rudolf Serkin's 1970s recordings of the piano concertos with Rafael Kubelik? :)

19. George P

Yes, that's a helluva set! My post you quoted refers to the Beethoven piano sonatas, so I have deleted it to avoid any further confusion.

20. George P

Have you asked Hurwitz on his YouTube channel? He very responsive.

21. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Somebody already did, and he basically states they're all good. I would like to get some responses from this forum, there must be somebody who has listened to them?

22. Daedalus

I think all 3 are in the Serkin box set. I will take some time in the next 2 days to give them a studied listen. The received wisdom of the internet seems to be that the 3rd version done in 1964 is the best-but-who knows.

23. George P

Yes, they are in the box. I heard them when I got the set four years ago, but didn't compare them side by side. To me, the Schumann concerto is one of those warhorses that I've heard many times, so I try to not to listen to too often.

Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  24. Daedalus

I did some listening this evening. They are all worth hearing. The oldest performance is more for historical interest perhaps but very good. It is really tough to decide between the second and third performances. Serkin’s playing is lovely in both. The presentation of the orchestral tones and emphasis is somewhat different between the 2nd and 3rd versions. The second seems slightly more romantic in overall impact. But -again-both are excellent. I guess I am not burned out on this piece of music yet in my listening experience.

25. Daedalus

This morning I am revisiting a wonderful commemorative 10CD box set issued by Melodiya compiling work by Maria Yudina, who was one of the renowned pianists during the Soviet years in Russia. She was a classmate of Shostakovich and Safronitsky, was portrayed in a novel and was reputedly one who dared criticize Congress Stalin. [​IMG]

Mild Mavis, George P and TonyACT like this.