'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

I arrived at the same conclusion several years ago and have never looked back.

mktracy and trd like this.
  2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Unlike artists like Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Bobby Hutcherson, Gran Green et al. musch of it seem a bit to formulaic, but I’m not a Jazz Messengers connoisseur. I feel like the dozen+ albums I have could really be paired down to four or five of the best and I’d be good. At the point if/when I put my MMj45s up for sale I’m sure some of those will go and they’ll sell fast.

jgrillo, mktracy, Smith and 1 other person like this.
  3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Bobby Timmons, Jymie Merritt, Art Blakey. I’ll take every note that band recorded.

4. trd

trd Forum Resident

Yeah I am very sympathetic to the Blakey overload sentiment but I can’t so readily dismiss a live recording of that lineup

5. Josquin des Prez

I think I have about 2 dozen Art Blakey albums. I can settle for a quarter of them and not miss the rest. Yeah, blasphemy, I know. :shrug:

mktracy, Smith and trd like this.
  6. Smith

Smith I'm cyanide over you.

Man.

I would do bad things for those Monks.

Bad things.

Crazysteve and MisterBritt like this.
  7. Gabe Walters

I know, but Wayne Shorter was the musical director of that iteration of the Jazz Messengers, and he, Morgan, and Timmons all contributed original compositions that have become jazz standards. To hear that group, in particular, in a live setting . . . to me, it's too good to pass up. Different strokes.

8. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Still trying to find more info on this release. Some sort of EU public domain reissue?
    Looks like a nice package but details are sketchy..
    Here's at least a track listing.

LP1 / 2:
    1. Now's The Time [22:34]
    2. Moanin' [13:32]
    3. Blues March [11:44]
    4. The Theme [00:32]

LP2 / 2:
    1. Dat Dere [12:13]
    2. 'round About Midnight [13:28]
    3. Now's The Time [17:15]
    4. A night In Tunisia [11:11]
    5. The Theme [00:30]

9. Josquin des Prez

Right, but I have enough to enjoy from it. I don't need more and there are many other great things to explore. :)

10. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Any more news on when we might see this one? Is definitely confirmed as a TP? Very much looking forward to it!

mktracy likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Looks like an official Blue Note release that hasn’t yet been announced, but a couple retailers jumped the gun.

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yes it will be a Tone Poet and I'm pretty sure it's on tap for next year or right after. Keep in mind we are dealing with titles that were going to come out this year that have now been pushed into next year.

I am so ready for "The All Seeing Eye" that I have dug deep for a title I rarely listen to but still find it quite enjoyable, "The Wayning Moments". Featuring Freddie Hubbard and Jymie Merritt, this is a pretty cool record to my ears and better than it sometimes gets credit for. From 1962 and just seems to age fairly well. It's early Shorter and that's all that matters.

And speaking of Freddie Hubbard. I recently listened to the (KG) SC version of "Backlash" and if anyone is not familiar with this and digs Freddie with some awesome grooves galore, I triple dog dare you to go stream the title track and the the big time cool vibe of "The Return of the Prodigal Son". Good times indeed!

Dignan2000, timzigs, riverrat and 3 others like this.
  13. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

It's an official release. Nate Chinen talks about it on his most recent podcast.

mktracy and Thom Lieb like this.
  14. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

Definitely excited for Wayne Shorter. Pre-ordered that and Lee Konitz day one.... release day delivery for Wayne and TBD for Lee... should be a great weekend and these are 3 days from release! Fingers crossed for two flat unscathed slabs of vinyl that amazon packs properly.

mktracy, trd, mcrichley and 3 others like this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Glad I saw the above post (thanks) as I just canceled my order with my local shop as their suppliers won't receive the new titles until later this week. Called Amazon and spoke to a supervisor and got both titles for $26.49 each, with of course the Shorter scheduled for Friday delivery. That's the one I want to spend time with first, so whenever the Konitz arrives will be just fine. Plus I don't have to worry about any issues with the records. Should be a great weekend indeed!

mktracy, trd and Bigdz68 like this.
  16. getitshorty

getitshorty Forum Resident

curious scotty - has amazon lowered their prices? still shows over $30 for mine...thx

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

No, but sometimes you can get them to take extra care of you if you get a hold of the proper person. Both titles still listed at $31.49, but I had an minor issue with a return that took an extra day to refund my money. I showed the person my pre-order of the two Tone Poets that I had in my cart and they said how about if I give you $5.00 off per title if you place while you have me on the phone. I did, and got them for $26.49 each, plus tax and of course free shipping.

Spazros and mktracy like this.
  18. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Ill take new Blakey and Jazz Messengers any day of the week. The majority of the catalog is amongst the best jazz ever made imo.

19. Josquin des Prez

My order has both for $31.49 each. I'm not going to worry about the extra $4.50 each I am paying over what they used to be from Amazon ($26.99). I accept the prices are going to be higher. Acoustic Sounds just announced that their $35 titles are going up to $40 next month.

mktracy and scotti like this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Not worried about it, heck I'd pay $35 and still be happy. It took me no more than a few minutes to get them to give me the $5 off per record. I'm retired and to me it was worth the little bit of extra time to get the discount. And it most certainly makes the wife happy.

Smith, recstar24 and trd like this.
  21. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Holy! Discogs has Chet Baker Sings listed at $250! It has sold for over $200 as well. That’s something considering it’s supposed to see a repress.

mktracy, GentleSenator and Ronnieb like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

And worth every penny...there you go @Swann36 just a few clicks away and it's yours.

23. Josquin des Prez

Yeah, I understand that. I will semi-retire in a few months, but sometimes I value my free time more, especially while I'm still working. I might feel differently in a year. :)

trd and scotti like this.
  24. Josquin des Prez

I noticed that Witch Doctor is on amazon (U.S.) for $22.60 so if anyone didn't get one and wants to here's your chance for a good price.

25. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

I have noticed it's the cheapest Tone Poet on Amazon CA too.

I presume this happens because it's not selling. It's a strong record but maybe people are burnt-out on Blakey right now or something.

The cover has low curb-appeal as well (not sure if that's a factor at all).

mktracy, mackeyse and RyeB like this.