"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Great breakdown. I have the exact same package coming in hopefully soon (was scheduled today but tracking says will arrive late). I'm actually really super excited for the Saba - he's a chicago guy and is pretty well known in the neck of the woods.

mikemoon and Swordsandchains like this.
  2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Our package must be on same truck since youre in glen ellyn and me in st charles

recstar24 likes this.
  3. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Rhino did a really nice version of GP a few years ago for one of their Start Your Ear Off Right campaigns. No mastering info in deadwax, but pressed at Record Industry. If Grievous Angel is up to the same snuff or even better with a Ryan Smith or Kevin Gray cut, it will be a nice addition.

4. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Grievous VMP style and possibly Waylon titles like Honky Tonk Heroes or Dreaming my Dream would be tremendous…

5. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

yeah the Rhino Grievous Angel is solid. If VMP can get a AAA Ryan Smith cut though it would be better (except for the probably noisy pressing if nothing changed at GZ)

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

This month’s package showed up today. Wu-Tang sounds good. My copy is flat, only a couple of crackles throughout the whole thing. Emmylou has a massive dish warp and lots of crackles. Haven’t gotten to the Lee Morgan yet.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yeah, a Waylon album would be cool. I’d dig one of his 60s RCA albums before he went full outlaw, but your choices are more likely.

8. Paul Aiden

Paul Aiden Forum Resident

I’ve just received this yesterday and it’s absolutely blown me away, brilliant sound and beautiful stouton gatefold also loved Abbey Lincoln and Bill Withers, Morgan and Coleman Hawkins on the way :)

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  9. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I'm totally in the dark regarding this label.
    I've been streaming this spotify playlist to get across the general vibe:
    Philadelphia International Classics
    Seems a mixed bag - some flat out bangers, but a fair bit of shlock also.
    Which records are people hoping will be included in this set?
    What are peoples top five from the Philadelphia International label?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'd like them to do his Don't Think Twice album he did for A&M. I guess it's the only one he did with that label. I'm sort of curious what the back story is. Either way, it's cool and just obscure enough to push it to marketed as a lost classic.

11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thanks. Oddly enough, it was you or someone else in this thread that brought that album and it's availability to my attention. I was literally getting on a plane for a hiking vacation out West and a quick stream/sample led to a swap for ELH (nothing against her either, it just might be there later).

recstar24 likes this.
  12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm thinking the same thing. I have an original of GA that is great but an AAA reissue will be nice addition and second copy. I also have that well done GP reissue, even though it's not AAA it's excellent.

MickAvory likes this.
  13. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Got a box with all 4 ROTM titles yesterday, first time I think I've ever bought all 4.

The Lee Morgan is nice, but I've been so spoiled by Tone Poets that a Stoughton jacket, pressed at RTI seems like the standard these days.

bjlefebvre and recstar24 like this.
  14. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

The Lee Morgan is in a stoughton jacket pressed at RTI also

El Dave likes this.
  15. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Yeah, sorry that was a bit disjointed. 2 years ago it would have seemed really special but now I have like 20-30+ titles done at RTI with Stoughton jackets.

16. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I just started digging in on Apple Music yesterday, but Patti Labelle "The Spirit's In It" is a banger with some real tight uptempo R&B/Soul/Funk

Briskit likes this.
  17. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm not that entrenched in the label but I would think we might see something from Teddy Pendergrass, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes and The Spinners.

I would pass on a box set though but some classics from that Philly Sound.

seaisletim likes this.
  18. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Ugh my ROTM box still listed as In Transit, Arriving Late. Hasnt been scanned anywhere since leaving Greensboro

19. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I finally managed to score a copy of Gabor Szabo - Dreams for an acceptable aftermarket price! So I’m happy with that! Nothing more annoying than missing those little swap day exclusives! Luckily it means people normally list them for a little less than stupid!

Barney_Tabasco, cwitt1980 and t4t3r like this.
  20. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Nice. This one is on my list as well but they seem to be going for around $100 so it's going to have to stay on my list for now. I'm hoping it maybe pops up again this month in swaps but with how few they seemed to have last month, it doesn't seem like it's actually been repressed.

21. El Dave

El Dave Forum Resident

Bummer about your issue. VMP CS is usually great so I'd reach out. BTW - if you're still looking for VMP reggae titles, I cannot recommend Daddawah's Peace & Love highly enough.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  22. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If I hadn’t already busted my vinyl budget by pre-ordering the Vanguard Anthology, I would pre-order the Philadelphia International Anthology today. If it’s still around in a couple of weeks, I probably will order it.

24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Looks like a nice set. Well done.

Making me wish for a Westbound Records AAA box.

25. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Stacked some VMP store credit with some Paypal balance so I'm in for this without any real damage to my credit card.