Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

OK, finished Cliburn/Reiner/CSO/Rachmaninoff/Beethoven and have moved on to Chailly's Beethoven Symphony Cycle on CD as it's been a while. Ah, there's that sound!

TonyACT likes this.
  2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Thanks for the welcome back, @Scourge. :) And yes, I’ve taken a deep nose dive into Penderecki’s oeuvre and speaking of those Polskie Nagrania Muza recordings, I bought them all late last year. :cool: They are all excellent or, at least, from what I’ve heard so far. But since last year, my Penderecki collection has doubled in size. I ended up buying all of the Wit recordings on Naxos and I own most of the Dux recordings, which feature the composer himself conducting various Polish orchestras. I also bought two sets of the SQs: one with the Molinari Quartet on Atma and the other with The Royal String Quartet on Hyperion. I also bought some recordings that were released on Wergo with my favorite being a reissue of an older CD Accord recording with Kazimierz Kord conducting the Seven Gates of Jerusalem, “Symphony No. 7”, which is an outstanding performance. Anyway, I’ve been enjoying his music immensely. I’ve also found myself digging into Gubaidulina’s oeuvre and she’s another one of these post-WWII composers that has fascinated me. Are you familiar with any of her music?

TonyACT and Scourge like this.
  3. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Johann Sebastian Bach - Complete Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin - Arthur Grumiaux - recorded 1960, 1961

Excellent sound!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TonyACT, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

:righton: I love that album... Bought it new in '72 from my local record shop and played it many times. Mine is (obviously) a repress, too, but the vinyl is quiet and the sonics are good.

TonyACT and vanhooserd like this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Enjoying this Volume 6 of Philips "(The Best of the) Complete Mozart Edition" on CD:
    Mozart Piano Concertos 6, 9, and 10.
    Alfred Brendel and Imogen Cooper (on Cto. No. 10 for 2 pianos) w/Sir Neville Marriner & the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.

Excellent performances and impressive sound on this 1995 Philips compilation. All recorded in London; Concerto No. 6 recorded digitally. Made in Germany.

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, bluemooze, layman and 5 others like this.
  6. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

Awesome, I never really broke past the avant-garde Penderecki period, so everything I own is between the late 50s and somewhere around '77, and mostly on vinyl and mostly from Muza. I've become curious of late of his later period neo-romantic works tho. I'm still not terribly fond of Wit as I like a bit more gruff rough-and-tumble in those earlier works, but do admit I can imagine Wit being a better fit for later period and even more chamber-like pieces as he's quite idiomatic and has great balance. I've never listened to Gubaidulina, so I should probably remedy that.

TonyACT likes this.
  7. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

First listen (mostly). This is the (lovely!) version of 'Une barque sur l'océan' (from Miroirs) that was used in the film "Call Me By Your Name'.

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, bluemooze, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 10/6/58, St. George Hotel, Brooklyn, NY. Producer: John McClure. Issued 1959. Bernstein recorded No. 7 again for Columbia with the NYP in 1964; I don't know why.

ibanez_ax, bluemooze, Wes H and 6 others like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

So far as I make a survey of my Columbia Masterworks LPs I have been pretty satisfied with the sound, as well as the performances. Of course there are varying levels of surface noise & since I bought them all used I can't be sure how quiet they were when new. It's surprising how quiet a lot of them are.

Wes H and TonyACT like this.
  10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I've reconsidered my stance on the guitar: it's been a part of my life for too long to give it up listening to it! And, with the aid of a TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) device, I can now play more or less pain-free. So, I dug this out of my collection today. I still find his playing too stiff and cold to enjoy.

[​IMG]

11. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji - Piano Sonata No. 1 - Marc-André Hamelin - 1990

[​IMG]

12. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just listened to one of my many many Four Seasons versions over breakfast:

[​IMG]

Decent performance; the fifth concerto (The Sea-storm) was nicely played.

tomymontana, Bevok, ibanez_ax and 7 others like this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Welcome back. This forum has fewer posts than some other groups, but I think people here are generally friendlier--almost a family!

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I posted the mono version of this not long ago. The 1960 stereo version is even more enjoyable. The Craft-conducted works were recorded 2/26-27/59. Label is a 2-eye in the 1963-70 style. Sold at Nicholson's Hi-Fi here in Nashville.

15. Mirror Image

Thanks. I do rather like the cozy atmosphere here I must say.

Bachtoven and TonyACT like this.
  16. Mirror Image

NP:

Vasks
    Violin Concerto, "Tālā gaisma”
    Gidon Kremer, violin
    Kremerata Baltica

[​IMG]

17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Well you picked an good one! I grew up on that recording and had to have in the dorm along with the Grateful Dead and others:).

TonyACT likes this.
  18. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Very enjoyable Sibelius and Bruch from the 25 disc Ozawa set on Warner.

Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor, Op. 26
    Sibelius: Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47

Masuko Ushioda (violin)
    Seiji Ozawa
    Japan Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra

[​IMG]

Bevok, royzak2000, ibanez_ax and 6 others like this.
  19. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Do you have any personal favorites that really knock your socks off sound wise? I don't own a ton of Columbia classical titles, maybe 20 or so but many are on the later grey label from the 70s and while the performances are great, the sound isn't bad per say but lacks that 3 dimensionality I hear in the really great RCA/Decca/Mercury/DG pressings. I know the 6 eye and 2 eye labels are better regarded but I have an even smaller sample size for that. I think I will revisit one of my 6 eye pickups from long ago I don't think I've listened to it in a couple years now
    [​IMG]

20. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Franz Liszt - Via Crucis - Reinbert de Leeuw, Nederlands Chamber Choir - recorded 1984

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This 2-LP set arrived today. Great playing and pretty good sound.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Wes H, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.
  22. Mirror Image

NP:

Vasks
    String Quartet No. 3
    Spīķeru String Quartet

[​IMG]

23. Jamsterdammer

Welcome back, Mirror Image! I have and love both CDs by the Spikeru String Quartet of Vasks' SQs. Other works I've heard (Symphonies, Concertos) are also nice. A composer worth exploring.

TonyACT and Mirror Image like this.
  24. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Hugo Alfvén - Swedish Rhapsody No. 2; Symphony No. 1; Drapa; Revelation - Royal Stockholm PO, Neeme Järvi - recorded 1988

CD1 of this set:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Mirror Image

Thanks. It’s good to be back in the saddle again. Yeah, I’ve been listening to Vasks for years, but only recently have I been taking a more serious look into his oeuvre. These SQs are excellent.

Jamsterdammer and TonyACT like this.