A Cheap Audio Man Rant

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dan Steely, Sep 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think the point is getting a bit muddled. The dork in the video says audiophiles are full of crap because they look at speaker measurements and say that’s not what the artist intended. And that you couldn’t know what the artist intended if you weren’t in the studio.

hi-fi means high fidelity which means highly faithful to the original recording or performance. I think it’s safe to say what the artist intended people to hear is what is on the post production master tape. Some equipment is going to be better at a highly faithful playback of that recording than others. I don’t care what Roger waters wants my stereo to sound like but I would like my stereo to accurately reproduce what he recorded.

What the guy is really saying is that if you have an opinion of how equipment sounds and think it creates a less than accurate reproduction of the master tape, you are full

missan, Big Blue and fairaintfair like this.
  2. macster

macster Forum Resident

That's basically what I got. But re "What the guy is really saying is that if you have an opinion of how equipment sounds and think it creates a less than accurate reproduction of the master tape, you are full"

That's exactly what how I feel, I know that my equipment doesn't reproduce an accurate reproduction of what's on the master tape, nor do I care, nor am I willing to spend enough money to recreate that. But what I have is good enough to allow me to enjoy the tunes like I want to.

M~

rodentdog and Bobocryce like this.
  3. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Nothing creepy about it. Lady Justice blinded and silenced by stupid politics!
    The original Metallica album cover has nipples showing and Lady Justice looks like she's 16....so which one is more creepy ?!!!
    Just because one of them 'looks' like an 'ancient statue' and the other is an artist drawing, the drawing looks more creepy, and the statue doesn't?! I have another word for that.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think I get the gist of what he is attempting to say in his video, but the way he articulates it is poor and uninformed.

In any case, don't kid yourself that this guy is on some sort of selfless crusade for the common man when it comes to audio. He's milking the YT game with affiliate link kickbacks, free product, sponsorships, Patreon, and the whole nine.

If you scroll through his videos you will also see that when he gets middling views from a batch of vids, he will then put out a vid with a very clickbaity title to increase views. All very predictable and straight from the YT shill playbook.

Pkcpga, tin ears, Bobocryce and 5 others like this.
  5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Well, that was 5 minutes that I'll never get back...
    -Bill

Ntotrar, tin ears, macster and 3 others like this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Oh, I’d say you’re doing a pretty good job of it and about as close as anyone is going to get.

but the real point is that you aren’t taking a hot dump on people that have a lo-fi system and running your mouth on YouTube videos about it. Really, telling people they are full of bull crap because they are audiophiles. That guy gets 40,000 followers for simply being an ass hat. It’s rude and a nonsensical attempt to back fill the argument by rambling incoherently.

Pkcpga, macster and fairaintfair like this.
  7. DogDad

DogDad Well-Known Member

The things is, Randy the Cheapaudioman knows exactly what he's doing, he will be fully aware of the numerous forums such as this, he will have an awareness of how sensitive a strand of people from said forums will be to what he's saying.

He also knows that somewhere, someone will be likely to link to his video and cause a lot of people to be incensed, leading to more "views" and probably more $$$$ though his channel's monetisation.

Is he right or wrong?; probably a bit of both, but quite frankly, good luck to him. I would never get irate, offended, upset, angry or a whole range of other negative emotions, because someone said something I didn't agree with regards to some hifi equipment hobbyists. If I did, I would seriously need to take a long hard look at myself, as it would probably say more about my character, than his. There are far more pressing concerns, generally speaking.

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You went at least a minute further than I did. :laugh:

Agitater and jonwoody like this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

But I don’t know why anyone would think they are accurately reproducing the master tape, anyway. That’s not the goal. The goal is to accurately play back what is on the source media you are playing. That requires flat frequency response.

macster, nosliw and patient_ot like this.
  10. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

We have to follow the science.

Tone? likes this.
  11. macster

macster Forum Resident

Agreed, but I just want to enjoy what I'm hearing which may or maybe fall under that paradigm .

M~

12. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

He's annoying, okay?? Okay??

The same dynamic that attracts some people to some talk radio hosts applies here. The guy you love to hate. Only in this case he strikes me as a average dude bloviating a whole lot about something he doesn't really know a whole lot about. He just has a YouTube channel like thousands of others.

I essentially agree with his main point (??), which seems to be that you don't have to spend and spend and spend to get a system that pleases you. And while I might make fun of some typical audiophile traits here, all audiophiles aren't full of crap.

The 12-year-old girl on YouTube who's super-excited to get her AT-60 enough to make an unboxing video comes off as much more sincere and honest. I'm not sure Cheapaudioguy believes half of what he says. I know I don't.

macster and Big Blue like this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

As you say, they guy is making a concerted effort to be a jerk to get attention. But it’s the people that say he is a jerk that are the ones that need to take a long hard look at themselves?

DogDad likes this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’m in full agreement that you don’t have to spend a lot of money but that’s not his point. He is saying those that do are full of bull, cow or steer crap. It’s not an ambiguous point he’s trying to make.

15. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

This! And I really don't think any Audiophile does. That's why this "Audiophiles" suck routine is so dismissible/silly/sad/dumb....

And sure, shame on us for taking the bait. But It's fun talking sh$% about YouTube dullards!

Big Blue and Agitater like this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah, I don't want to listen to anyone with a creepy painting of a tied-up woman on his wall.

17. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

My sentiments exactly. A quick peek in his channel are filled with the usual sensationalist/clickbait titles and thumbnails and going by his videos, his attitude is generally annoying and unpleasant.

I've already blocked his channel via BlockTube as I don't want to see yet another annoying, prattling or a grifting YouTuber.

18. misteranderson

It's Metallica, FFS. It isn't worth getting worked up about, let alone offended.

19. misteranderson

They must have fallen off a truck.

A Grain of Sand likes this.
  20. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

I have no idea who he is.
    I got as far as the bit where he said put your cartridges in this audiophile plastic bag, decided he was a blowhard and bailed.

21. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

That's YouTube about fellas ! Money !

22. DogDad

DogDad Well-Known Member

Bingo!!!

And, here we have 4 pages of people discussing The Cheapaudioman. Being talked about is better than being ignored if you're a YTuber. Hilarious! The irony is deafening. A good day's work for ole'Randy

csgreene, rischa and The Pinhead like this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Well, since we will Never hear the master tape we will never be certain but you can certainly reveal additional detail, tone and Dimension as you improve your playback system, this is obviously on the master tape. How could that not be getting closer to what was created when they finished the project and approved the release?

and….if you’ve ever played in a band and recorded the performance you can certainly tell when your playback is a more accurate reproduction of what you played. Details in the cymbals are often the spot that jumps out.

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

For starters there weren't MP3 players and ear buds in 1973. Hi-Fi was becoming a big thing and Floyd did care about SQ. Probably Floyd and Parsons assumed people would be listening to this on a Pioneer PL12D or similar. Earphones were generally proper hi-fi quality enclosed types. The lowest form of playback was probably an 8 track in a car. I seem to remember most kids who had cars fitting nice speakers and cassette / 8 track (which did not come factory fitted). Sounded generally rather better than a phone from memory.

Pkcpga and Grant like this.
  25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I fail to see any distinction here whatsoever.
    -Bill

SteveFord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.