Abraxas - One step vs 50th Anniversay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndrewSlattery, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Do you have a full ranking?

2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Not quite - unfortunately I can only compare my ARS and STANDARD MOFI 33 (not the one step) and the 50th. At least we can get a take on the ARS to the 50th.

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

One Step
    ARS
    50th
    Japan and MFSL standard
    One Step and Ars are on another planet.

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Interesting. What exactly is it about the 50th LP that sounds better than the MFSL LP?

The Quiet One likes this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Don't the AAA cuts have KG SH in the deadwax?

6. I have the MFSL SACD, it sounds great to me, but I have absolutely nothing to compare it to.

7. teag

teag Forum Resident

I agree it sounds really good. As does the MFSL LP at 33. A comparison of the 50th release to the MFSL with some details would be interesting.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  8. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, but you wouldn't know that from looking at it online or in a store, which was my point

9. AndrewSlattery

Yeah I get that. But there are also two quad versions. The SQ was designed to play through two speakers property. I find my SQ records have a massive soundstage through regular speakers and on headphones they sound fully 3D. Just like hearing Atmos for headphones. This is also playing in "direct" mode, rather than "surround" mode.

10. Leonthepro

Hard to see that before you purchase.

11. Vinylfindco

I'm still waiting for the 50th, but did listen last night to the ARS and the MOFI 33. I much preferred the ARS. Really curious to see where the others are going to rank. Should have the 50th on Thursday.

AndrewSlattery and Leonthepro like this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Your kidding right? I would not have guessed.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You would know by ordering it from AS or MD.

Newscot likes this.
  14. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Dynamic impact.

AndrewSlattery likes this.
  15. AndrewSlattery

Tullman likes this.
  16. Leonthepro

Im not kidding. You realize theres not just 1 version of this right?

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Really?:rolleyes:

18. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

Is the original pressing even in the running?

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I hope so, it’s the only one I have. To me it’s still rather good.

20. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

I first heard the sounds of Abraxas floating through an open apartment window just after it came out. Hit me like a bolt of lightning. That is still the best version to me...and who knows what it was being played on. I've listened to it through headphones while higher than a kite, full volume on a decent car stereo while sailing down California freeways at 70 with the windows open and no cares in the world, and lately in my COVID free listening space in my house. Feeling pretty blessed to have multiple options to hear it in all its glory. I'd love to have the ARS or the One Step but I'll gladly settle for my original release, the Columbia Half-Speed Master, and yes, to reward the new Rega, the 5oth. I still flash back to being outside that apartment every time I hear it. The rest of this is starting to get very tedious.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  21. Leonthepro

:rolleyes:

22. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

The One Step is significantly better than the ARS. It's got more clarity, the guitars have more bite, and the bass goes deeper. The ARS sounds very nice in its own right, though. In my opinion, both versions audibly decrease in sound quality on Side 2/Disc 2. The One Step is a special occasions record for me now since my prior mishap. I feel more comfortable pulling out the ARS when Abraxas is in my regular rotation. I haven't heard the 50th.

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Every mastering of this album - vinyl or CD - I have heard, side 2 is always lesser / worse sound quality ….IMO.

24. AndrewSlattery

Just put the Japanese SQ quad on for another listen. It's amazing how much of a different listening experience it is. The instrument separation and soundstage is just MASSIVE. It's also such a difference listen via speakers vs headphones. In headphones you get a 4 point soundstage and amazing pin point accuracy on the soundstage. Via speakers you still get incredible depth, just not to the same level. This version definitely doesn't have the same crunch and bite factor to the sound as Kevin's cut. Most likely due to the fact it's a completely different mix of tracks / different recordings. It's got a much more laid back feel.

25. Vinylfindco

I just picked it up from Acoustic Sounds. It has KG CA in the deadwax. I'm doing some comparisons now with the ARS and the MOFI 33. I'll let you know what I think. The vinyl on my 50th is NOT quiet. Or flat.