Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Yes! You can also access it right off the ALBUM menu!

2. That was the spirit bootleg covers were always created in.Anyway great job.

ET3311 likes this.
  3. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

The brief volume 3 write up sounds tantalising. Do we think Toast will appear this year?

Sean, JoeRockhead and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

A new timeline concert has (finally) been uploaded: the August 29th, 1987 show at the Great Woods Center for the Performing Arts in Mansfield, MA.: Neil Young

5. IHeartRecordsAz

It’s impossible to say now that they’ve removed the tentative release schedule from the Times-Contrarian. I sure hope so, though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Enjoying this a lot. Also confirms that I preferred the Crazy Horse version of the Bluenotes compared to the post Ralph and Billy version. Neil plays better guitar with a behind the beat rhythm section.

7. IHeartRecordsAz

Also this is the first concert that’s playable in the app. If you click on the “Timeline Concert of the Moment” icon on the front page, it takes you to an album card that allows you to stream the whole show.

8. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Seems like a real longshot - probably only room for one more 2021 release at most after Carnegie on Oct. 1, would imagine the new Horse album is next in line (plus there's that pesky vinyl situation to complicate things).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  9. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Lots of hiss on this one compared to others. Still a nice listen.

ExHead and ET3311 like this.
  10. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

"Timeline Concert of the Moment" someones been reading the whining in this thread about the "of the week" handle.

Hmm it occurs to me I've never really paid a huge amount of attention to live Neil in 1987, even some of the songs in the set surprised me "For the Turnstiles"? Ok, not exactly your Neil by numbers set. I enjoyed Muddy Track but obviously thats more a tour doc ala ********er Blues than a concert film, so I'm pretty intrigued to give this 1987 show a listen as its a year for which I have no preconceived notions.

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You make observations while the rest of us merely whine, huh?

Sean and JoeRockhead like this.
  12. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I whine too, believe me I'm not immune. Most recently I was whining about not using the vinyl delays to focus more on product that doesn't require vinyl like Archives III. But it seems pretty obvious the name change is a direct correlation to the complaints.

13. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

this was the day after i was born!

14. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Proto Bluenotes!

I had a bootleg from Pine Knob 87 years ago, always liked that show.

Let me see what this brings.

RoyalPineapple and ET3311 like this.
  15. andyediewatt

My favourite Neil Young era 87-91. He was certainly primed during this era. Listening now.

JoeRockhead, Matthew Tate and Sean like this.
  16. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Great Woods 1987.

This is what I call a "cosy" recording — full of analog character and warmth. Suitably rough around the edges. A lot of fun.

And there will likely never be a curated Performance Series release from this often overlooked "in-between phases" tour. So this is a must-listen rarity.

Here, in the first few songs of this show, you can already hear the roots of the intense, hard-hitting acoustic sets would perform on the 1989 Euro tour.

Check out the Paris 1989 concert—included in all $40 subscriptions—on the concert timeline, to hear it taken to the next level.

(Paris 1989 is also one of Neil's most dramatic shows from his most thrilling acoustic-only tour. And it includes all the songs missing from the bootlegged version.

Yes, Neil now releases complete shows as live albums. You just have to dig for them, just a tiny bit.)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    ARK, Sean, babyblue and 5 others like this.
  17. RoyalPineapple

One suggestion to the folks at NYA is to consider adding a set-list page to each show.

(I'm not saying it's a good idea or not — I'm just saying they should consider it).

18. andyediewatt

I can see why Neil got fed up with Ralph and Billy. Many flubbed and missing chords and that signature Molina beat. Oh so good though.

The electric parts are super sloppy and rough around the edges. That ending on Hurricane!!! One of my favourite time line concerts.

19. RoyalPineapple

The version of Like A Hurricane from this Great Woods 1987 gig is a must-listen for all Crazy Horse fans.

Doubly so, for my fellow Weld freaks.

Yes, I know Weld didn't happen 'till 1991. But this 1987 version has been drinking the same lethal stuff the Weld version has been drinking.

The same goes for Tonight's The Night.

The Gulf War may have been the inspiration for the explosive performances in 1991...but the 1987 tours had already laid the path ahead with barrels of dynamite.

(Sorry for the avalanche of posts).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    ARK, Sean, Alright4now and 4 others like this.
  20. andyediewatt

This Crazy Horse fan just loved that set. Ready for some 1996 shows aswell as a 1991 timeline performance too.

21. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Very much looking forward to hearing the latest timeline concert.

Also super keen to hear a 1987 Bluenotes show with Ralph and Billy. I always liked those first two tracks on Bluenote Cafe.

JoeRockhead and qtrules like this.
  22. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Well at this point, it's Crazy Horse with Larry Craig and Ben Keith in horns. In October they added more horns and the sound changed significantly, to the extent that the rhythm section could no longer keep up.

qtrules likes this.
  23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Looking forward to listening to this. It being on the app makes life a lot easier.

Hopefully they add all the timeline concerts to the app eventually

ExHead and Harm1985 like this.
  24. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

oh damn! didn't realise this was on the app. i will put this on in the car today.

Sean, andyediewatt and ET3311 like this.
  25. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

How do you access it in the app?