The Eagles MOFI One Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatleboy1968, Jul 30, 2021.

1. it's just me

it's just me Active Member

I have not listen to it as I am between turntables at the moment.

2. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Coolio. Does it all appear to be in great shape?

3. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

Ugghhh, seam splits on both copies all LP's and Desperado LP's are both dished, LP2 in particular is horrible.

I wish you all much better luck. I'm starting to get discouraged by this crap. Maybe that's the end for me...

Hope they resolve these issues for me, I've sent a support email to MFSL.

sonofjim likes this.
  4. Joti Cover

My God….Ugh!! So sorry to hear about this…..Anyway, glad you’re on it fast. I hope they straighten every bit of that out.

5. YCC

YCC Well-Known Member

It's still on pre-order on Mofi site

6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m not sure how much further I’m going with these “ultimate” pressings either. Proportionally I’ve had much more trouble with these premium products than run of the mill releases. This includes UD1S, UHQR and the Impex one step of Cafe Blue. Honestly, I’ve had less trouble with RSD releases and box sets pressed at GZ and Optimal lately.

I have a lot of UD1S releases on preorder currently but if these Eagles are overly problematic I may cancel them all. I’ve already decided I’m not going to bother with the UHQR Kind Of Blue 45 rpm. Too bad, because they really do sound great but I don’t need a box big enough to hold five LPs for a single album either.

FashionBoy likes this.
  7. Scuba_SSSteve

Scuba_SSSteve Well-Known Member

I received Desperado #189 yesterday from Mofi. I also pre-ordered S/T from Music Direct but haven't received any shipping notice on it yet.

As for Desperado, overall I'm happy with it. Both LP jackets have seam splits. Not terrible splits but splits on the top and spine. I wasn't thrilled with that. LP1 is warped. I don't know if I've seen my tonearm dance up and down like that for quite a while but it doesn't affect play. As far as the sound goes I thought it sounded superb. I gave it two straight listens last night then compared it to the only other copy I have, the 2014 remaster. I actually really enjoy the 2014 remaster version but comparing side by side I did prefer the one step. Sound stage seems a little wider, vocals seem clearer and bass felt more pronounced. It really was an enjoyable listening session. LP2 was completely flat so at least one was warp-free. Overall very quiet pressings, I didn't have any surface noise or pops. I haven't been that lucky with a few other one step titles. I'm happy with this one step. I hate flipping sides so often but I do think I will be listening to the one step over the 2014 version despite having to flip sides multiple times.

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, er, I mean @JimmyS, how was the play(ing)?

Blue Cactus, japhyman and AppleCorp3 like this.
  9. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

Thanks Joti I appreciate it unlike AnalogJ’s lame response which went over like a fart in a hurricane for me. Didn’t even get the reference dude. But it’s cool, I’ll report back in a bit, about to drop the needle down. Small potatoes in the greater scheme of life…

Strat-Mangler, teag and Joti Cover like this.
  10. AnalogJ

Sorry, there was a joke there. Obviously the record is such a bad physical copy that enjoying the music is out of the question. That was the point.

11. Joti Cover

Yeah, Jimmy, please do report back when you get your replacements… it will def work out- but wtf (on all levels, yes)?

12. Joti Cover

Getting a wrecked lp in the mail would never put me in jovial/light-spirited mood - it’s depressing….I just don’t get your sense empathy-deficit humor here….

YCC and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. AnalogJ

I'm on my FOURTH replacement copy of the 2nd LP of the Impex pressing of Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue. My travails have been much documented with getting a replacement of a Music Matters Blue Note LP directly from Music Matters and receiving no response in trying to rectify it. Believe me, I KNOW about stuff like this intimately.

But you have to have a sense of humor about it. Think about it - many professional comedians make their living making jokes about the more difficult or tragic aspects of life. No one LIKES to get a defective LP. And we could make a humorous compendium of excuses or responses from labels or retailers as to why they can't accommodate the request for a replacement for a defective LP, or the odd requests recently for proof. I love one guy, who was asked to show a photo of destroying the defective copy in order to receive a replacement, turned the LP into a clock.

Notice, by the way, I got two likes for the previous joke, alluding to the famous joke referring to President Lincoln's assassination in a theater ("Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"). Mrs. Lincoln had it worse than getting a defective LP in the mail, don't you think?

So imagine describing an LP you received that was literally severed up in parts, warped so bad that it looked like a bird flapping its wings on your table, and the label glued so far off that it sat in the last two tracks of one side. And then someone said, "Yeah, that's bad. But how did you like the music?"

So while it's frustrating, shake your head in disbelief and try to have a laugh as well. My suggestion, anyway.

FashionBoy, Joti Cover and AppleCorp3 like this.
  14. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

@AnalogJ I gotcha man, agree and it’s cool.

So i played the s/t. Super quiet vinyl, not so much. In fact, there are two major pressing defects on it, but enough whining from me.

The important part is the sound quality and aside from tracks A5 and B5, this is reference quality sound imho. Lush, open soundstage, present, and detailed. Jaw dropping in a few songs where the instrumentation is sparse.

Desperado LP1 on the other hand, no where close to the s/t. The sound is what I would call flat and unengaging. I love this album and was disappointed in the sound compared to my CD. As always, YMMV.

Not sure if i should ask for a new s/t and then end up with a hot mess of warps, pressing defects, etc…

How in the world can the same plant not nail these from a quality perspective when they exceed expectations on Tone Poets and Intervention Record releases at much less cost.

15. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

Yeah for sure, huge bummer, was so looking forward to these especially Desperado. They took care of my BST one step defect, so think you’re right. Best of luck on your copies.

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If they released these as regular MFSL LPs that don’t cost $125, I’d buy the whole catalog…

17. Joti Cover

I think perhaps you could ask MOFI to send you the proper replacement for what is damaged and if that is sufficient then you would then return the damaged one. That was my deal w UHQR Aqualung w Acoustic Sounds ….they replaced what I needed done and I was prepared to send back the damaged one but told me to forget about it. That worked fine.
    Now I have a perfect copy of Aqualung.

WhatDoIKnow, AnalogJ and JimmyS like this.
  18. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

All the more reason when it comes to these one-steps, I'm sticking to SACD.

Life's too short to be getting warped LP's after paying an arm and a leg for them. Until Mo-Fi breaks down gets their own pressing plant rather than relying on an already over taxed RTI straining to lay golden eggs by a tired crew of employees, count me out. Over and over again, seam splits to the jackets, scratched vinyl, warped LP's. Damn, I've decided the disappointments involved are just not worth it. For a $125 apiece one should be receiving a near perfect product. Why is this so hard nowadays?

19. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

And you would get silent and flat copies like the two Nilsson MoFi’s and all the others I bought. Just incomprehensible. The packaging is pointless too.

ted321 and Big Blue like this.
  20. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

Yes, that’s the plan for the s/t

Joti Cover likes this.
  21. Joti Cover

Thanks for your informative post as well….very strange that aside from all else Desperado doesn’t even sound very good as it was - to my ears - a very fine sounding lp back in the day….….I wonder if the SACD will be better…that’s what I have coming soon. I’ll report back on that one. And get those replacements - Take care.

WhatDoIKnow and JimmyS like this.
  22. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

Yeah kind of odd with the regular Mofi's. Both my Nilsson are spectacular.

JimmyS, AnalogJ and Joti Cover like this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

For me, even if these OneStep records were as perfect as they should be, it’s just too much to pay for any copy of these albums. That’s true of any album, for me, personally. I’d love to pay for the regular MFSL LP treatment, though!

PoeRaider, WhatDoIKnow and JimmyS like this.
  24. Joti Cover

Yes. Color me naive but I think high or at least appropriate quality for one’s dollar - or a 125+ of them- is still important. There really does have to be standards at the end of the day or things just get worse.

25. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

I am getting tired of shelling out this kind of cash as well and for a 1/4 of the price I'm sure the SACD should sound fairly close if I had a comparable counterpart to my Rega P10, unfortunately I don’t have a great SACD player.

FashionBoy likes this.