Yes Union Live 30 disc megaset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonylevin'ssuitcase, Feb 26, 2021.

1. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

Completism is a terrible disease. Fight it!
    Try 12-steps or something:wantsome:

2. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

So you owned it and were happy with it until you read some reviews here?

alakulju likes this.
  3. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Well , when they are your favourite band and you have pretty much everything they ever did in all the formats, it isn’t easy.
    There is a price point at which I would break, but from the Vinyl perspective they are probably at double what i would be happy to pay, so I am a long way from caving in.

It is just such a shame that the Warner (or someone more proficient than Ayling) can’t get their act together, get into those vaults and release something decent.

4. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I would say that the vinyl set doesn't actually look like what was pictured. The promised artwork showed a larger, square type of box, with a foam cut insert to hold the dvd. You would have assumed a decent quality album sleeve, and poly liner for basically £25 each vinyl. The actual box was more like an older style of box, much smaller, and obviously too small for the LP sleeves. The DVD is not supplied in its own plastic box or held centrally in a foam insert (if included at all!) but is supplied in just a small plastic wallet. So all up I disagree. I expect to see a marketing picture that represents what I'm buying. I should not have to email the distributer in advance for comfirmation. Who actually does this? For £100 you expect a basic level of quality...not cheap and nasty throwaway crap. I'm sure the CD box you own is utterly fabulous. But you have not actually bought (or heard) the vinyl box, so cannot really compare the two, let alone comment on the quality.

tonylevin'ssuitcase likes this.
  5. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

If anybody still has their set, please post a few pictures to compare with the marketing shot...

[​IMG]

As I said above, the box is much smaller and tighter, the text on the front is plain white paint, roughly screen printed, not a crisp gold foil blocking as advertised, No individual DVD held in a central foam (no room in the tiny box) Either no DVD at all, or DVD in a simple plastic sleeve, LPs are incredibly tight in the box, if they were heavier card would be less if a problem, but they are more like an LP inner sleeve, so would quickly get damaged or torn clawing them out. You would have to store them outside the box in heavier poly sleeves. The printed matter is smaller than expected. It's very light on any information. It's a bit of a "novelty like" feel to it. Sound of vinyl is pretty average. Just not worth the money IMO anyway. I don't have any box photos but I do have the DVD picture I took.

Advertised DVD in a custom foam cut box:
    [​IMG]

Actual DVD sent, no foam insert, or individual box. Just a cheap plastic wallet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  6. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Its Dell boy stuff.

I was going to write style over substance , but they can't even get the style bit right. Indefensible in my opinion.

Tim Bucknall and imarcq like this.
  7. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

As a casual Yes fan I think this sort of thing is borderline cruel. As highfell mentioned earlier, long time fans of any band are likely to have complete collections. When bands like Yes release this sort of thing - a product which only a hardcore fan would buy - they're banking (literally) on that collector mentality more than releasing a product that fans genuinely enjoy.

There are lots of bands that do this but there are also a few who do it right. I don't think I've seen a word of complaint about Jethro Tull's releases, for example. They give the hardcore what they want audio wise, with a lot of nice liner notes in a compact and affordable set. There are few bands I collect to that level and most aren't popular enough to release a lot of archive material. I just feel increasingly sorry for those fans - and most older bands have a lot of them - who feel compelled to buy everything and get dealt a bad hand like this one. I understand the compulsion for completion, I've been there before and still am with some bands, so when I see bands do a great job of archive sets while others produce over-elaborate sets such as this Union one it bothers me.

Whatever happened to those Steven Wilson CD/Blu-ray sets? They were great, affordable and enjoyable and then they stopped doing them. I can't see how the Yes organisation see this Union set as adding to the bands legacy while the CD/Blu sets have been forgotten about. I know the bottom line is money but surely there's more profit long-term in producing quality over quantity and green lighting a release like this does them no favours. They were a quality band so sullying their reputation like this is a shame. They deserved better than this.

8. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Even if this release is considered official somehow, it feels enough like a gray market collection of bootlegs that I hope that completist collectors don't feel obligated to get this.

9. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It's the company Gonzo that's why this is just a mess. They have nothing to do with Warner Bros. This particular tour it seems that Yes gave the go ahead on releasing this. Honestly I don't think the members of Yes even fully understand what is in this set. Gonzo finds these grey area's like they did with ABWH releasing a CD set of a live show. They know no one else is going to release it so they find these little things to release. I'm sure that no one is receiving publishing rights for this set. That picture of the vinyl set with the DVD in a cheap plastic sleeve speaks volumes about the person behind this.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I think they would like to continue, but they don't have the multi-tracks to keep going. Wilson has said the first two albums (with Banks) likely wouldn't sell enough copies to pay for themselves.

Tim Bucknall and edenofflowers like this.
  11. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I had this set on preorder for months, then was stiffed on the original roll out. Read the initial reviews on sound and cancelled it. Bought the George Harrison All Things Must Pass Uber box instead.

12. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

No, I was not happy with it. I never opened it and am not paying that kind of money for glorified bootlegs.

ARK, Tim Bucknall, Scottb and 2 others like this.
  13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yes, great value for money with those Jethro Tull sets, and they're just the kind of release that makes you a bigger fan. My appreciation for those albums has grown considerably with Tull's booksets.

GRC, Juggsnelson, Scottb and 2 others like this.
  14. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

Yes: how not to run a business

15. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Would anyone know the exact track-list for the SHORELINE show...what songs are on the 2CDs and the DVD? It seems Music Glue is now releasing just the Shoreline show, but I would like to know if "Lift Me Up" is on the CDs and the DVD?

Yes - Union 30 - Yes – Shoreline Amphitheatre, 8th Aug 1991

The earlier 2011 Union Live release was a 2CD/2DVD set, but this 2021 edition seems to be a 2CD/1DVD set, so what's missing this time?

rstamberg likes this.
  16. SJB

The second DVD in the 2011 set contained:
    Complete Pensacola show (audience shot)
    Complete Denver show (rough mix)
    Seven audio tracks:
    Shoreline:
    • Shock to the System
    • Lift Me Up
    • And You And I (incomplete; about half the song)
    Wembley:
    • Shock to the System
    • And You And I
    Burgettstown:
    • Drum Duet
    • Changes
    I haven't seen a track list for the standalone Shoreline set, but the mockup art shows the same catalog numbers as on the Shoreline component of the box set. In the box set, the Shoreline CDs contain the songs from the DVD, plus:
    • Shock to the System
    • And You And I (incomplete)
    • Drum Duet [from Burgettstown]
    • Changes [from Burgettstown]
    • Lift Me Up
    The extra tracks, crossfaded in at the appropriate points, recreate the complete set list, minus the missing second half of "And You And I." The 2011 CDs didn't contain any songs that weren't on the DVD. The 2021 DVD in the box set has the same track list as the 2011 DVD; there doesn't appear to be available footage of the two and a half extra songs.

ElevatorSkyMovie and Futurecity like this.
  17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I cannot detect any improvements whatsoever with the versions in the new boxed set.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Hey man. Yeah, I have it. And yeah, it mostly sucks.

Juggsnelson and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Haven’t played mine yet but I’ll post when I do.

20. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Great and thanks for checking as you saved me from buying it.

LordThanos1969 and Tim Bucknall like this.
  21. Futurecity

Thanks, but I just want to clarify...is "Lift Me Up" on the 2021 Shoreline CDs, but not on the Shoreline DVD?

I see from the 2011 set, that "Lift Me Up" is not on the CDs...

Union Live - Wikipedia

22. SJB

"Lift Me Up" is on the Shoreline CD in the new box set. The identical packaging and catalog numbers shown on the web page imply that the standalone CDs are the same as the ones in the box, but I can't say for certain.

Futurecity likes this.
  23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm a completist with no need to buy stuff. That's a route to consider.

24. Futurecity

By the way, did you buy the 2019 UNION Blu-spec 2 Japan CD?

Yes – Union (2019, Blu-spec CD2, Paper Sleeve, CD)

I am curious if this is an all-new 2019 remaster or if it uses an older remaster? I've heard some of the older Union Japan CDs were very loud, but I would buy this 2019 reissue CD if it's a new remaster and isn't loud?

25. Futurecity

I appreciate the reply, but I would like to visually confirm the track-list of the 2021 SHORELINE CDs and DVD before I buy it, but I cannot find the track-list online at all, especially for the 2021 CDs...are you able to find that? If so. please send me the link, thanks.