Elvis Costello & The Attractions - This Year's Model - 2021 remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Sep 10, 2021.

1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Are you referring to the Spanish version? That's definitely a remix. The reissue of This Year's Model in English with Elvis on vocals is not.

2.1Channels and Lance LaSalle like this.
  2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I really enjoyed listening to it. Is it worlds apart from the original UK pressing? No it’s not, and if you have a clean version then it’s far from essential but it sounds great, I like the addition of the 2 bonus tracks and it’s a perfect pressing (zero surface noise, flat, centred, all that stuff).

mikeyt, Dhreview16, Big Blue and 4 others like this.
  3. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

My copy is great. Clear sound, no surface noise etc. Above all, it is giving me great pleasure hearing a new copy once again. Radio Radio, especially, is just sublime!

Are the names of the band referencing the photo on the back cover deliberately in the wrong order or am I missing something?

The joy of listening to a full new album is still there, even after all these years.

I'm expecting EC's future language projects to result in similar straight but decent re-releases on vinyl. At £20, I'm in!

Fullbug, James RD and Lance LaSalle like this.
  4. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I'm in the online fulfillment business for companies like Amazon and Walmart on down. In many fulfillment systems, the tracking number is generated as soon as the order drops to the warehouse. The tracking number is used as an "order shipped" notification, even though it may not even have been picked yet. Depending on the size of the company of if the carrier comes to actually pick up the packages (vs. having someone drive them to the depot), it's easy to see how days can pass before the order is actually picked/packed and enters the carrier's system. Our DCs have daily pick ups from the carriers and we generally turn all orders around within 24 business hours.

But the reason that actually happens is because most customers require at least a tracking number to satisfy the ship status, even if it's actually not ready. This is done by the fulfillment company to satisfy a contractual obligation to ship orders within a certain time period or generally risk fear of fines.

In essence, it's a loop hole...

5. MD2000

MD2000 Well-Known Member

Definitely can hear the issue with Big Tears that driverdrummer noted. I’m guessing some issue with the tape. Lasts for maybe 5 seconds. I don’t hear it on the Ryko, but the clarity and detail on this remaster is so much better.

dee and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Thanks, Michael—interesting that you say this, because it’s actually my first take, too.

Does it sound great? Absolutely.

But did it feel like at the same time there was something lost in the separation and clarity? Also a yes for me. It almost felt as though it was sterilized. I also thought your comparison to Armed Forces was super interesting.

Did that stop me from ordering it? Absolutely not.

7. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

This makes some sense (even if it's still frustrating at times). Thanks for the response.

kouzie likes this.
  8. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

I am referring most definitely to the orignal album remaster.

* PS: I believe I've heard every issue of this album, beginning with the OG U.S. and U.K. vinyl LPs. So my quick take is based on decades of knowing what the record sounds like.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No information yet. I’ll take a guess that it was Ryan K. Smith at Sterling who cut it. I’ll be ordering the LP and will let you know.

teag and dee like this.
  10. srsch

srsch Senior Member

I just listened to This Year's Girl and Lip Service on YouTube. They were both listed as 2021 remasters. I am not hearing anything remixed. Can anyone point out something that is mixed differently than what we've had since 1978?

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  11. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Honestly, listening now to the original UK Porky, nothing beats the original. Well balanced and punchy as hell. And they’re not ridiculously cost-prohibitive averaging $50 according to discogs…and you have a chance to get the bonus 45 (“free album with this single” for those in the know).

just sayin’.

mikeyt, Marc Perman, dee and 2 others like this.
  12. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

The placing of instruments may be exactly the same, or close enough. But the tonality has changed. Whether that's due to EQ, or multi-band compression, or dropping some FX, or some combination thereof, I couldn't tell you. Also, the differences are slightly clearer in the hi-def digital version than in the YouTube version.

My point was that even if the difference is purely up to the mastering, it's a big enough difference that provides a different enough experience to be almost a remix.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Lance LaSalle and srsch like this.
  13. InStepWithTheStars

I think he's just saying that the new remaster sounds radically different due to EQ. If it was actually a remix, they would have said so.

14. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Thanks for clearing that up.
    That makes more sense. The actual mix hasn't changed. I don't use YouTube to listen to mastering, so I guess if I want to really listen to this new mastering, I'll buy the LP. Having 3 different vinyl pressings and 4 CDs makes it a bit hard to pull the trigger, but I'll cave soon.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  15. InStepWithTheStars

I can see how some would consider this sounding too clean. To me, it's still plenty dirty, but then, I've only ever known the Rhino, which is brickwalled, so cleaning up that distortion is a blessing as far as I'm concerned. For someone who grew up with the original Radar pressing, I could see where this one might be a bit too sterile and separated for their tastes.

I understand that it's hyperbole, but I really want to stress that it's NOT a remix. It's just a remaster whose full dynamic range and EQ attract the ear to things that are normally further in the background. My CD didn't get delivered, but I can't get enough of the YouTube samples. I'm excited for the CD to arrive.

16. 2.1Channels

2.1Channels Forum Resident

This is a decent remaster. On Apple Music, They have a 2021 Remaster that's got the full dynamic range, and a 2021 Deluxe Edition that has a compressed/limited mastering. I still think the UK Porky LP bests them all. Still a nice mastering, nonetheless.

Bananas&blow, dee and Lance LaSalle like this.
  17. InStepWithTheStars

That's interesting. All the tracks are titled "2021 Remaster", but I'm guessing it's a clone of the 2008 deluxe edition, which itself was mainly cloned from the Rhino set. The 12 album tracks plus "Radio Radio" sound louder than the rest, just as they were on the Rhino. If they're indeed the same, then the reason they're designated as a new remaster is puzzling.

Not really related, but on my mind: the Hip-O series from 2007 cloned the Rhino mastering on every title, including This Year's Model being louder than the rest. However, for their best-of, I think it was called The First 10 Years (red/yellow/white cover with triangles), This Year's Model tracks are lowered by either 1 or 2 dB, which still leaves them too loud but at least they're slightly less inconsistent. (I think This Year's Model is about 3-4 dB louder depending on the song, but I haven't checked recently.)

2.1Channels likes this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Good luck trying to find one that is in NM condition.

And yes, I’ve tried to recently. Not as easy as you think.

2.1Channels, Big Blue and patient_ot like this.
  19. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Exactly. I thought his comments were condescending and ignorant. Not for the first time, either.

20. dee

dee Senior Member

I only have TYM on vinyl on the SMASH! label with its unique sleeve and label and alsso a porky prime cut for Radar. I don't know if the the MFSLs in general may lack a little 'fire' or 'a stranglehold' rather than punch, but I was sonically pleased hearing TYM UK 78 Radar label A1 B1 Porky and Moira. E.G. in the whacks.

What a fine fine album. I started on side 2 for a change. Hand in Hand made for a good opener with better to come. The sound of the tracks were solid imo and hung togetber really well over the course of the album. I wouldn't mind hearing this new remaster though on vinyl and also having Radio Radio pumping up an already impressive album plus more in Big Tears.

2.1Channels likes this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

I found a copy in my local shop and what a model store it is! The Radar label with the Porky etchings seems to have been pressed throughout Europe. 'I would imagine' a solid copy could be had at a reasonable price but if in the US shipping costs will likely jack any friendly priced items up.

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

That would be great if it ends up being RKS. He has a really good track record and may be the Kevin Gray or Bernie Grundman of the future!

Looking forward to what you discover. Thanks.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  23. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

It was confirmed earlier in the thread that it was cut by Ryan Smith (see below).

teag likes this.
  24. InStepWithTheStars

That's not correct. My post was a guess about the digital mastering, which was proven wrong (it was Greg Calbi). Someone did confirm that the lacquers were cut by Ryan Smith, but whether he mastered it in the analog domain or if it's Greg Calbi's digital mastering pressed to wax is currently unclear.

frightwigwam, mikeyt, dee and 3 others like this.
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

The deadwax should tell us.