'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

i don't think i can say best version of the Jazz Messengers, but i can definitely say favorite

mktracy, Noonie and Gabe Walters like this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! Now with that said, I value my free time as well and if this would have taken more than a few minutes, then I never would have messed with it. But I thought it was worth my time.

And regarding Chet Baker "Sings", anyone spending $200 for this record will be in for a surprise soon if they honestly think it is not getting a repress. I would suspect that it's just folks with silly money, but good for them.

mktracy and Dmann201 like this.
  3. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

thats absurd. I know its a super desirable tone poet, but didnt realize it was as desirable (or more so) than most music matters. Especially when you consider they arent being repressed for the most part

4. Vibrolux_Reverb

The cover plays a huge role imo.

5. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Whoever is buying at these prices is basically paying to not wait. I suppose it gives some indication of what it will be worth in down if it ever does actually go out of print (which it inevitably will).

mktracy and GentleSenator like this.
  6. getitshorty

getitshorty Forum Resident

cool..just curious as I know sometimes they lower it and I hadn't gotten an email...

way to score that discount!

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm waiting to see if it might go down even more, but I'm waffling a bit. :)

8. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

I price matched Witch Doctor at Target last week so you can save another $1 there with a Red card. I usually get stuff faster from target and they’re easier to deal with returns/exchanges (not that amazon is awful but still). My copy came warped unfortunately but target seems to be refunding a lot of vinyl orders these days and not even requiring the item be returned. They also fill exchange orders quickly while not requiring the original item be returned.

I’m sure unscrupulous types will take advantage but target is a nice option to have when we’re seeing so many QC issues these days.

9. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Well, dang, if people are paying $200 for records that are in print but just waiting on repress, I should make a killing selling stuff. My thoughts have been on a custom titanium single-speed bike. Hmm…

My phonostage upgrade arrives Thursday. I’m like an impatient child on Chrismas eve, chomping at the bit.I’ve wanted to do this ever since I bought my phonostage last year.

Speaking of long waits for re-press. I have a standing order at Music Direct for the MoFi 45 of Blonde on Blonde. It isn’t OOP, just waiting for repress. This will be one of those things that when MoFi finally gets stock they will be gone instantly. Been there.

I’m playing Gill Evans Out of the Cool from the Acoustic Sounds Series. Great album, but I need to play my 45 version again. I vaguely remember it sounding better.

Spazros, mktracy and GentleSenator like this.
  10. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

Hard to imagine now that this record was shelved for two years after the success of The Sidewinder, delayed by the recording and release of The Rumproller. At least it was released sooner than the album recorded after, the excellent Tom Cat that didn't see release until 1980.

11. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

I suspect we'll see 'Search...' as a Blue Note Classic.

Would love it to be a Tone Poet though make no mistake.

Ronnieb, mktracy, RyeB and 1 other person like this.
  12. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Yeah especially with Shorter. How can you ever have enough

13. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

I love the cover. And the album is top 5 TP for me

14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m listening to Search for the New Land right now for the first time (on Qobuz). Holy crap! This is a great album. Are we confident this will be released as a BN Classic (or Tone Poet, though less likely)? The MMJ reissues are crazy expensive. Is there a decent and affordable alternate option?

Ronnieb, trd, mktracy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Just given a first listen to

[​IMG]

The vinyl is good very flat, quiet and sounds superb ....

Now a dilemma ..amz uk sent it loose in a big box so 1 corner of the Album Cover is dinged in a bit on the folding side ...as the vinyl is close to perfect and it seems amz uk don't have any themselves rightnow ... my option to buy another and see if the cover is perfect thus making a 'perfect album' has gone ...a straight replacement i think i'm not willing to gamble on in case the vinyl is poor ... i can order another but it will come from canada from what i can see taking a few weeks to get here and thus i'll miss my return window for this copy ... (i've simply bought more copies for BE Trio 64 its taken 3 copies to get a good album cover and record, picking from all 3 albums, funnily enough the worst cover had the best vinyl)

so my friends what are your thoughts ? ...keep the album as is and live with the dent after all its the music i buy records for and the often stunning covers are a bonus to me, or gamble on a straight replacement from amz uk ?

mktracy and scotti like this.
  16. Vibrolux_Reverb

Im pretty confident it will be a classic and am very confident it will not be a tone poet.

I would be shocked if it werent the next Lee Morgan release on classic series

Ronnieb, trd, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

How is Amazon to work with in the UK? If you get a minor ding or something of that nature and the record itself is good, you can normally get a small credit back to your account if you keep the record. But with that said, these covers can be like works of art to me and really not sure what I would do depending on the issue.

This title just screams BN Classic. That has to be a no brainer.

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I love this post! It starts off talking about making a killing on some of your treasures, but then talks about the standing pre-order you have for Blonde on Blonde. It sounds to me like you are still buying records which is how it should be. You know you will get the bike of your dreams, just give up food for a month, not your records.

b.parker111, mktracy, Eric_B and 2 others like this.
  19. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

i believe the last time Blue Not issued Search for the New Land it was as a BN75.. it would be nice if they released a higher quality version of this

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Given your options and if the ding does not affect the internal gatefold significantly, would just stick with it given the number of Tone Poets I've returned for pressing issues.

Swann36 likes this.
  21. Josquin des Prez

Oh, yeah, I'm still buying records. Recently, I've gotten the AS Series Bill Evans Trio '64, some Traffic reissues, and a couple Nina Simone albums.

mktracy, scotti and Swann36 like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Don't mean to sidebar here...That Trio 64 is a good one no doubt. But I have a question regarding Traffic. Their self titled second album is a stone cold classic. I have a near mint original and it sounds great. Did you by chance get the new version of that one and if so, how does it sound. Really enjoy Nina Simone, what did you get if you don't mind me asking.

Going back on topic, only a couple more days to go....

And now going back off topic...Thanks to you mentioning the MoFi of Blonde on Blonde, I just got off the phone with MD and they took my pre-order for it. I thought it was long gone...Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    trd likes this.
  23. Josquin des Prez

Nina Simone…
    I got the new KG remaster of Little Girl Blue and the Speakers Corner Sings The Blues. Little Girl Blue is stereo. It sounds great but my one complaint is they separate Nina and her piano, so when you know she's playing the piano it's a little weird. Maybe the Pure Pleasure mono reissue would have been better but it's back-ordered.

The Traffic albums are the same ones that were reissued as a box set a year or so ago. They are almost certainly from digital source, but they sound pretty good and are cheap enough ($18-22). If you have a minty original I don't know that I would bother. I started by buying John Barleycorn to replace a grungy original I have, and it sounded good enough that I bought the others. I really like s/t and When The Eagle Flies.

Here's hoping BoB gets the repress soon. Mine has been ordered for about 15 months now. The other MoFi Dylans have been great so far. The early monos are nice to have. I also snagged a SuperVinyl of Desire, one of my favorite Dylan albums. That sold out within hours of it being announced on MoFi's FB page. I still have the regular MoFi edition too, which I am selling.

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The mix of the stereo LGB has always been a source of complaint, but the AP reissues (I can't speak about the KG) are astonishing, and reportedly better than the mono Pure Pleasure in terms of immediacy and presence. There is no doubt that the mono mix is far more cohesive. I have a rare NM original Bethlehem that truly plays NM.

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have the AP 45 of LGB and thought that version sounded great. Have that SC as well and another fine release. I have always like Simone, but when the Acoustic Sound Series released "I Put A Spell On You" and "Pastel Blues", I finally realized how much I loved her music. "When The Eagle Flies" is such a great record and very Jazz laced. Thanks and will just stick with all of my originals. Regarding John Barleycorn...when I went through my wife's record collection from the 70's, discovering over two thirds of them had lived through too many parties back in the day, her original first pressing of John Barleycorn was in like new shape.

Reeling myself back to Tone Poet land. I just noticed Amazon changed the shipping status of "The All Seeing Eye" from estimated to now arriving Friday. No updates on the Konitz though...