Free YouTube Movies Worth Watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Excellent film. And a terrific performance by Edwards.

NickySee likes this.
  2. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

This is a good one. Hard boiled as hell and not a wasted minute.

Morpheus likes this.
  3. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. :cool:

BroJB likes this.
  4. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Major League (1989, David S. Ward)
    Much as I like Baseball movies I've never seen this one. No excuse now, I guess. Hear it's funny.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Is Le Orem worth watching? I used to love giallos.

unclefred likes this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Addams Family Values (1993)

NickySee likes this.
  7. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

8. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

These look like they might be new freebies too:

That Thing You Do!
    Hackers
    Up in Smoke
    The Saint
    Return to Me
    All About Steve
    Step Up 3
    Men at Work
    Real Men
    Rollerball
    The Wraith
    A Good Year

MikaelaArsenault and NickySee like this.
  9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

i think it's worth a watch, it wasn't good enough to persuade me to collect it though. Florinda Balkan is always a good watch for me and it has Klaus Kinski. It moves pretty slow and is not a slasher filled giallo. The copy I saw was not great picture wise. I'd bet a blu would show some good cinematography.

10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"Special Bulletin" a tv movie about Terrorists threatening Charleston SC with a nuclear bomb. that doesn't pull any punches when it comes to the news media. Which is even more news media-y now.

Though that's not the point of the movie, it's fairly eviscerating. Especially the 'parade' of experts talking out of their ass. Or not. You really don't know who to believe, which sets up some real tension.

Ed Flanders does a great acting as a anchorman whose backed into a corner on air.

Morpheus likes this.
  11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I see more new ones popping up. Never saw The Love Guru, so I'll check it out and see if it's as bad as people say.

The Love Guru
    Patriot Games
    Troll
    The Great Train Robbery
    Trucks
    Untamed Heart
    The Battle Of Britain (1969)
    Sidekicks
    Uptown Girls
    Penelope
    High Crimes
    The World's Fastest Indian

12. NickySee

Yeah, they seem to pop up more frequently now. Thanks.

13. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye (1950, Gordon Douglas)
    Jimmy Cagney flick adapted from the Horace McCoy novel. Cagney breaks out of jail and does his Cagney thing.
    More noir than White Heat, so they say. My first viewing. Looks great.

Morpheus and Matt Richardson like this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Saint (1997)

15. NickySee

Queued! Isn't this the one that put Kilmer on the map, so to speak? Or was that Top Gun? :hide:

16. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Behind The Scenes (1916, Charles Chaplin)

Matt Richardson likes this.
  17. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

The Learning Tree by Gordon Parks, sort of a family movie, though is about prejudice in Kansas in the 20s. Soon to be out on the Criterion collection, so see it before YT yanks it.

NickySee likes this.
  18. NickySee

Can you leave a link? Is it unlisted? I didn't see any copies worth watching. Thanks.

19. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

They may have already yanked The Learning Tree upload, which I just saw last week, but there's this one:

NickySee likes this.
  20. NickySee

Ooo. Yeah, that looks... rough. :D A good copy's hard to find! Never watched it though I've been meaning to for years. The Criterion Channel had a nice copy up for a minute during their Gordon Parks retrospective.

This one's the best I could find. Check it out later. Thanks.

Morpheus likes this.
  21. NickySee

Needed to watch a flick while I workout and heard this was (more or less) a Bruce Lee Chinese Connection remake. First watch for me. Jet Li joint. Some say it's his best.

[​IMG]
    Fist of Legend (1994, Gordon Chan)

22. NickySee

[​IMG]
    The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales
    (1960, Rogelio A. González)

I’m a big champion of this one. Great light horror Mexican flick about a taxidermist who does in his harpy wife. YouTube vid has good English subs. Looks great, too.

23. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Steppenwolf, the 1974 adaptation of the Herman Hesse novel starring Max Von Sydow and Dominique Sanda. I saw this as a midnight movie back then and it definitely made an impression. I recently researched it and it does look a little dated but at the time it was considered cutting edge.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Morpheus and NickySee like this.
  24. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Incubus from 1966 starring William Shatner. Filmed in Esperanto but it does have subtitles

Morpheus, NickySee and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Shorts, of course. And not just the ones you would have never had the chance to see on television, at the cinema or even available in a catalogue or a video store or a film distributor.

You look at all these features loaded-up by YouTube to make up for what their original business plan failed to bring them. People used the platform instead for *gasp* original words of modern creativity, rather than trying to break into the industries where the establishment already has their thumb on the scales. You have to know somebody just to write a script. But you can put a camera on yourself, and find the tools and utilities you need to make a convincing show of your idea on your own, and bam, you're a "creator".

I've been watching a lot of SF shorts this weekend under the "DUST"company/studio/whatever. I've been watching video musicians doing things you never see the establishment players tackle. I've been watching production artists turn 1890's film into something astonishing, bringing animated life to statues, and freeing sounds from the shackles of their original masters by finding more information inside of them. I've been following observers of volcanoes, earthquakes and other physical disasters, who can send a drone into a sea of lava, or alert you to where the tectonic plates are shifting, or where our weather is coming from in a way the local guy doesn't do.

I don't need any more old movies. We've had decades of old movies, and all the chances in the world to see old movies. Give me an old movie on YouTube, and I'll show you something I could have chosen to watch many times in the past...but instead, I can show you something you've never seen before, because...somebody with creativity and a desire to create now, is doing it now.

NickySee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.