Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Possible the songs with it were sourced from older compact discs that had PE.

somnar, JorgeGvb and Robert C like this.
  2. Definitely possible though I think I've mainly seen this on compilations.

-s1m0n-

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

My old DVD/CD ROM lost it's ability to write, fears of losing SUBQ detection I started looking around for some other oldies.
    Picked up a new old stock ASUS S520/A.
    Worked like a charm and the scan was super quick. Also was able to finally give me an accurate rip on an old Smiths track I was having issues with.
    This is just a player, no write capabilities. Does have a headphone jack though :laugh:
    [​IMG]

4. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Did you get it from Amazon?

5. c-eling

From a seller on the bay Pete.

Omnio likes this.
  6. Cuyler

Cuyler Forum Resident

Hoping someone can help me -- I recently bought a DADC pressing of Pink Floyd's "The Wall." XLD noted both CDs had pre-emphasis. I think the CDs may be mismatched, though -- it could be a "Frankenstein" set of sorts because the matrices are very different:
    • Disc 1: DIDP 20204 121A5
    • Disc 2: DIDP 20205 14 +++ +++++ MANUFACTURED BY DADC
    Both CDs have in the mould: "Made in USA - Digital Audio Disc Corp."

Per XLD, here are the peaks (rounded to the nearest tenth):
    • Disc 1: 96.8 / 78.7 / 87.5 / 99.9 / 83.3 / 99.9 / 48.0 / 60.9 / 99.9 / 99.9 / 86.2 / 99.9 / 25.5
    • Disc 2: 85.5 / 63.4 / 72.9 / 44.7 / 99.9 / 95.0 / 72.3 / 99.9 / 99.9 / 94.9 / 92.8 / 79.2 / 15.8

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

I have a Fogelberg The Innocent Age that's mixed like that. Must of had some older stock laying around and then added a newer manufacture to it.
    Since both have pre, they use the old Japan mastering.

Cuyler likes this.
  8. Cuyler

Cuyler Forum Resident

Above, I wrote that Carpenters “Voice of the Heart” (38XB-4), Chuck Mangione “Feels So Good” (38XB-5), and Herb Alpert “Rise” (38XB-6) have pre-emphasis. The big caveat is that there were two pressings (that I know of) for these early 38XB discs. The very first pressings for these low catalog numbers have a CD face that is almost half-black, very plain looking. These have pre-emphasis (including I believe Synchronicity, 38XB-2). However, I can confirm that second pressings of 38XB-2 and 38XB-4, whose CD faces are identical to the US releases with the catalog numbers stamped on there, do not have pre-emphasis and sound identical to the releases stateside. (“Voice of the Heart” 38XB-4 second pressing looks identical to the “first pressing” Denon disc that was Japan-for-US.)

c-eling likes this.
  9. Cuyler

Cuyler Forum Resident

This is how first pressing 38XB pre-emphasis discs look:

[​IMG]

earshot and c-eling like this.
  10. Cuyler

Cuyler Forum Resident

I should also note, later 38XB discs without this design (for example, “Ghost in the Machine,” 38XB-18, or “Reckless,” 38XB-26) never had pre-emphasis.

11. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

That's why one look at the matrix and not prejudge based on cat. no. or face design. :wave:

12. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Hi Cory,
    Is your Fogelberg a DADC? I've been looking for that particular set but will pass if it's mixed like that.

c-eling likes this.
  13. c-eling

Like his Wall above probably a rare odd-ball situation :laugh:
    My disc 1 is a later early 90's 1A07
    disc 2 DADC Stamp DI8P
    Also possible they may have been swapped out at one time. - Previous owners. Who knows

Instant Karma likes this.
  14. Instant Karma

My current set is the 1A07 and 1A12 so yours is a "Frankenstein", as Cuyler described his "The Wall". LOL

Cuyler and c-eling like this.
  15. c-eling

:laugh: right.
    They all share the same mastering so at least in that aspect all is good in the world :)

Cuyler and Instant Karma like this.
  16. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Hi Cory. :wave:

Just FYI, Japan for Japan 50 8P and early US DADC are not the same mastering. Just like some other early US DADC releases (especially those where it looks like the digital transfer may have been done at US DADC, or in the alternative, some digital EQ'ing was applied by either CSR Japan or US DADC to the shared digital transfer). I can only measure EAC peak levels but there is a discrepancy in the numbers between the 50 8P and early US DADC.

Also, there is a question whether this CD first came out in Japan or the US. In the US, the earliest pressing did NOT have a leading zero in the DI8P number on the face of the discs.

Instant Karma, Cuyler and c-eling like this.
  17. c-eling

Thanks Caroline. I had two bands going on in that reply. I don't have the Fogelberg Japan, so with that one I have/had no clue.
    The "Since both have pre, they use the old Japan mastering." was directed at The Wall. Sorry about the confusion :)
    Oh did you get that call out for that Stevie Wonder question?

Cuyler and princesskiki like this.
  18. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Hi Cory. What Stevie Wonder question, where, which thread? Sometimes, I get an alert months later, and sometimes, I don't get it at all. One time, I accidentally saw that you had posted a question for me months and months ago on another thread. :sigh:

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

princesskiki likes this.
  20. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

c-eling likes this.
  21. Cuyler

Cuyler Forum Resident

Very true. My first press 38XB-4 "Voice of the Heart" has the matrix 38XB-4 11A3. My second press 38XB-4 "Voice of the Heart" has the matrix CD-4954 1A3-47, which one would expect to see on the Denon 1st Japan-for-U.S. CD from 1984 (Carpenters – Voice Of The Heart (CD) - Discogs). (I actually think my Denon disc may have this matrix number... will have to double-check.)

In any case, yes -- just because they have the same catalog numbers doesn't mean they have the same matrices or mixes! For pre-emphasis 38XB CDs, the matrix will likely have 38XB.

My pre-emphasis 38XB-5 ("Feels So Good," Chuck Mangione) has matrix 38XB-5 41; my pre-emphasis 38XB-6 ("Rise," Herb Alpert) has matrix 38XB-6 31A2 +++++

Happy hunting :)

princesskiki likes this.
  22. Instant Karma

Hi princesskiki,
    Do you have a preference? This happens to be one of my favorite Fogelberg titles.
    I have not seen any versions of this title listed in the pre-emphasis list. Only "Souvenirs" as Cory brought to our attention some time ago.
    Thanks very much

princesskiki likes this.
  23. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

General question for those knowledgeable:

Like many others, I generate CUE files in CUERipper to check for the presence/absence of pre-emphasis.

When gleaning the CUERipper CUE file for a disc with pre-emphasis, is there any way to tell if the pre-emphasis was detected in the TOC versus the SUBQ (or vice versa)?

Many thanks in advance!

c-eling likes this.
  24. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

That I don't know. But a quick way for at least TOC would be EAC or dBpoweramp. Both will detect upon insertion of the disc.

ivan_wemple likes this.