"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

So white or cola brown?

gabbleratchet7 and Hicks like this.
  2. not too far off nine months ago.

it’s too rich for my blood. Most of VMP is. It’s been a fun year but I don’t see myself reupping.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. LPhound15

LPhound15 Forum Resident

I want Box Sets of Parliament and Funkadelic, please, mastered by Ryan Smith or Bernie Grundaman

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

For once, I don’t have any of those Philadelphia International albums on vinyl. Makes it a better deal for me. I’m in.

5. Brewbs

Brewbs Member

The majority are now only available for new sign ups, or if they give you a charity vinyl for repeatedly mucking up

mch007 likes this.
  6. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

Yeah I went for this as well. First anthology that was an instant buy for me, having deliberated over the Metal Blade set for ages (and ultimately not going for it). I think VMP is really in form at the moment, much to the chagrin of my bank manager.

gabbleratchet7 and bjlefebvre like this.
  7. buddhafish

buddhafish Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion, actually already grabbed Daddawah, such a beautiful pressing! Still can´t get over having missed out on the recent Wailing Wailers reissue tho. Surely there´s not much audiophile material for this genre but whatever VMP puts their hands on is spot on IMO.

El Dave likes this.
  8. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

My original and replacement are both dish warped... Great title though.

9. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

How did you get your LPs so quickly?! My Lee Morgan has not even shipped yet!

10. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I read that orders that haven't shipped yet are likely to get the bonus 7" they put out this month.

Juggsnelson, Pesus and TSWisla like this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I have the O’Jays album, but none of the others. I have an original 45 of “When Will I See You Again,” but don’t have an original pressing of the Three Degrees album. In decades of flipping through the used bins, I have rarely seen original copies of the Three Degrees album or of several of the other albums in this box.

I question whether you can “easily” get NM used copies of all of these albums. Maybe if you live in the Philly area, you can, but, at the used record stores in my part of the country, you can’t. I guess you could go on a quest on eBay and Discogs and buy all of these records one by one that way, but, to me, that’s as much as or more of a hassle than buying them in one fell swoop from Vinyl Me Please.

Further, I have had pretty good luck with VMP pressing quality, so I’d rather take my chances with them than try to seek out true NM- originals one by one. And I like their curation - here’s an instant quality Philadelphia Internation collection - and I do like the collector bait aspect of the colored vinyl.

Juggsnelson and bruinuclafan like this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Breakdown of the pressing history of the albums in the Philadelphia International Records.

O'Jays - Back Stabbers; only vinyl reissue since its release year was in 2016 by Kevin Gray on Real Gone Music, though likely digital. Sounded good but not jaw-dropping.

Billy Paul - 360 Degrees of Billy Paul; only US vinyl reissue since its release year was by PIR themselves in 2016. Only review on Discogs states the volume was low. Likely from digital as no sources are mentioned.

MFSB - Love Is The Message; only vinyl reissue since its release year was in 2014 by MOV.

The Three Degrees - S/T; not reissued on vinyl in the US since its release.

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody; only vinyl reissue of note is the MOV one released in 2011.

Dexter Wansel - Life On Mars; only reissued in the US in 2013 by PIR and the reviews were far from being good.

The Philadelphia International All-Stars - Let's Clean Up The Ghetto; First US reissue since the release year.

Leon Huff - Here To Create Music; 1st vinyl reissue since its release year.

==

The SQ should easily be the best any of these albums ever sounded but the quality of the material is spotty. Anyone here interested in the whole package?

Having owned the O'Jays KG remaster, I though side A was good but it quickly lost steam after that.

Billy Paul has that Mrs Jones single but it's far from being the type of song I'd want to listen to. Add 2 covers, one of which wasn't good (Your Song) we're already down to 5 songs, from the total of 8. 2nd song of the album was boring so that's 4/8 songs that I'd like to listen to scattered throughout the 2 sides.

MFSB is a skip for me as I was looking for some great R&B vocal work and the instrumental tracks here aren't inspiring to me.

The Three Degrees suffers from something that annoys me personally; overuse of backed vocals, sometimes for an entire track's vocal performance. In this case, most of the album.

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes is absolutely an album I'd love to have! Fantastic material and delivery throughout. Me likey!

Dexter Wansel - see remarks about MFSB above.

The Philadelphia Internation All-Stars is a surprisingly good album, save for the strange last track and the Third Degrees track for the background vocal abuse qualm listed above. I'd like to own that one as well!

Leon Huff is one I never could bond with. Tried to like it but isn't my cup of tea.

13. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Listening to this at work this morning, and let me tell you... It's time to get down.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Don't let me stop you from enjoying it. Merely one person's opinion, really. :)

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The Three Degrees album interests me the most out of the eight. “When Will I See You Again” is a top five single of all time for me, one of the songs that jumped out of the radio and caught my ear when I was a small child.

I can accept the argument that some R&B/soul albums of this era contain one or two hit singles or well-known songs plus some filler - I would say that is somewhat true of Frederick Knight’s “I’ve Been Lonely for So Long,” an album whose VMP reissue I’ve already bought, yet I’m interested enough in Philly soul in general and Gamble & Huff in particular to take a chance on some albums I’ve never owned before.

Juggsnelson and Strat-Mangler like this.
  16. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Saw this on Reddit, there is an October Classics spoiler in this article - here

VMP has also announced that Teddy Pendergrass’ 1977 album Life Is a Song Worth Singing, featuring Thom Bell and Linda Creed’s epic title track, will be the Classics Record of the Month for October. Sign-ups for this Record of the Month open on September 23.

17. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Sounds like VMP is finally figuring out that sending out full replacements for everything probably doesn't make much sense and they're sending me replacement jackets only (which is all I've wanted in the case of sleeve damage anyways).

They might finally be getting a clue on the mailers as well. According to the CS rep who picked up my ticket, "There have been talks about a box re-design so, keep an eye out in the coming months for a possible change to the shipping boxes."

bruinuclafan, CraigVC and mikemoon like this.
  18. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

The track "Method Man" on my copy of Wu sounds like he is tapping his foot out of time while eating rice crispies. Even after three cleanings.

19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Let Vinceron (Store) buy it, break it up and just purchase the copy or copies you like from them. I did it with Herbie Hancock 'Takin' Off' and a few titles from Ladies of Motown, no regrets.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yes, they need to use better mailers, definitely worth the upgrade for them.

In saying that, when they send full replacements, I just sell back the other copy to a local store rather than tossing it in the trash. I've actually made back some pretty decent money.

bjlefebvre and Dreaddazzman like this.
  21. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Yeah happened to mine like clockwork this month. Got Wu Tang PE and Lee. Anytime I order more than 2 LPs and they ship in one box, corner dings. There’s no way that heavy box doesn’t get dinged when dropped. I knew it would happen when I added the three. You can’t charge $40 a record and ship them in any thing else than an acoustic sounds mailer.

I’ve told them this 4x this year. Assume I’ll get $10-15 credit but would much rather have a nice mailer and sleeves that are not damaged for that price. I’ve told them I’d even be willing to pay $3 more if it was an option. ‘Collector packaging’ like toys people order.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  22. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I don’t doubt your claim - but that is one track that uses a crackly old sample. One thing this remaster did was really bring the crackly samples to the forefront. I compared this track and “Wu Tang Clan Ain’t Nothin to F Wit” (another crackly sample) to an older MOV pressing, and it really was interesting how you could notice the pops on this version much more clearly.

23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Not sure, my lps typically arrive later in the month. Maybe I've been upgraded. LOL.

24. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

100% on all this. I think of all the records I've gotten from them, maybe one or two didn't show up with some type of damage. In any case, I'm optimistic that better packaging would solve the problem, so hope they actually follow through on that. I'm still going to let my sub lapse for now and may resub if I hear that the mailers are improved.

25. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

It seems like they have 2 mailer styles and they package each title as a single unit with no consideration for whether it's a single LP, double LP gatefold etc.