Cat Stevens- where to begin?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith V, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

I like to rewatch that every year or so. Where is he in the movie?

g.z. and Keith V like this.
  2. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Top drawer, like the rest of the album.

Keith V likes this.
  3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any lyrical interpretation?

Imaginary Friend?
    Hostage?

4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Where to begin? At the beginning, you silly rabbit. :D

Keith V likes this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The old A&M greatest hits cd is a great collection, and great sound too!

g.z., Keith V and ARK like this.
  6. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

The cemetery scene. He is off to side and has no lines. He is wearing a hat and a long coat.

7. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I know I will be roasted for the following : I also love the Lydie Auvray's cover of Sad Lisa. But the original can't be surpassed of course...

Keith V likes this.
  8. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

TEA FOR THE TILLERMAN

WolfSpear, Keith V and g.z. like this.
  9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Izitso - sunshine pop synth style...and some darker sounding songs.
    Original UK vinyl is audiophile worthy.

The brilliantly strange Catch Bull At Four is my choice for indispensable after you have burned out on Cat the acoustic troubadour.

10. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I'm a fan of his "old Decca Material". I have the US Deram double album combining "Matthew and Son" with "New Masters". While "Matthew and Son" was a low charting song, I heard it on the radio as a pre-teen. Even though the (Over) production was not to Cat's liking, it got my attention. Cat wrote songs that were made hits by other artists, most notably "Here Comes My Baby" and "The First Cut is the Deepest".

tages and BEAThoven like this.
  11. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

"Matthew and Son" is one of my favorite LPs from the '60s. The songwriting is fantastic.

Michael P and tages like this.
  12. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

Twenty posts have been deleted.

Members are reminded that this forum is a politics and religion free zone. Please do not bring either of those two topics to this forum!

Adam Bosman and Mr-Beagle like this.
  13. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Like Alice Cooper the first two albums weaker the the next three albums solid

14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I know what you mean.
    I wasn't " burned out " on acoustic Cat but was glad he took the road he did when he put out ' Catch Bull...'. A ballsier, heavier sound.
    Great album.

blutiga likes this.
  15. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

This!
    I’d get Foreigner next after you’ve consumed these four.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Mr-Beagle likes this.
  16. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

The natural first step for me is Tea For The Tillerman, but check out the first two albums on Deram to hear the progression. Apparently, John Paul Jones plays on “Matthew And Son” … who knew?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  17. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

To the OP, don’t waste your time on the reworked TFTT². Some of the reworked songs are unrecognizable from the originals. I guess that’s the point, but it didn’t do anything for me.

Mr-Beagle likes this.
  18. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

I really like some Songs from the Decca era. It's Just That to listen to too many of them in a row gets tiring. A good 40 minutes compilation of that era would be in my Cat Stevens top 5.

19. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

The On the Road to Find Out 4 CD box set gives a great overview of his catalog if you want to go beyond the greatest hits, but don't need everything. I love Mona through Catch Bull, but for me the box set is just enough for everything else. It has the two Harold & Maude exclusive tracks plus some demos and other rarities as well. Nice booklet too.

20. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

After Tea and Teaser, get "Izitso" or the first "Greatest Hits" on Island label.

folkfreak and Keith V like this.
  21. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Excellent article. I particularly like this paragraph, which is more broad than just Cat Stevens:

Artists owe nobody anything,” the culture writer Greil Marcus told me in no uncertain terms, in response to a prompt I sent him about artists’ responsibilities to their audience. “People invest themselves in the artists they care about. … But ultimately I think artists’ followers have an obligation not to betray themselves through what Robert Christgau once named ‘autohype.’ That means convincing yourself that whoever’s clearly inferior, fake, corrupt, stupid or just plain dull work is as good as anything they ever did — that if one just looks hard enough, the flowers of genius will blossom.”

Keith V likes this.
  23. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Some years ago I picked up a Cat Stevens (self titled) (1967) vinyl LP at an Antique shop in the Blue Mountains for $10.
    It was in mint cond. and I'd had never heard half of the tracks before.
    The track Come On, Baby is a standout.. It's catchy lyrics, its great arrangement... never get sick of hearing it.

Besides that....
    The Moody Blues had its CORE 7... Cat Stevens IMO had his CORE FOUR >>>>>
    Mona Bone Jakon.
    Tea For The Tillerman
    Teaser And The Firecat.
    Catch Bull At Four. (18th Avenue sounds brilliant on vinyl!)

joelee likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the next release...

25. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

Izitso - one of my favorite albums by anybody. And my three favorite cuts have not come up in any discussion of that album, which is not a shock. I really love "Remember The Days Of The) Old Schoolyard", "(I Never Wanted) To.Be A Star" and even though it doesn't have parentheses in the title I'm crazy about, "Killin' Time" although I usually forget the title because it has an irresistible repeated hook of "You missed the point/You missed the point/You really missed the point" That's what I think the title is, but it isn't. I love that little refrain,
    I like every song on the album, but those are the highlights for me. There is a nice variety of moods and some adventurous experimentation. The lyrics appear to me to be utterly sincere. There are no bad cuts on here.
    If you like Greatest Hits, which is a treasure of outstandingly catchy pop songs and instantly appealing folksy ballads, plus the only appearance of one of his best songs ever,."Two Fine People", the place to go for more of that is Izitso.

Mr-Beagle and blutiga like this.