When was the last time the Beatles were happy as a band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt, Sep 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

September 1967. I remember reading an article somewhere claiming that this was the last photo of the Beatles looking genuinely happy. Peter Jackson of course might disagree.

[​IMG]

2. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis Thread Starter

That's a really interesting perspective. It makes me recall when Paul told Hunter Davies he didn't know what he'd done to hurt John more than anyone and then said something along the lines of 'all I wanted was a family'. Maybe Paul thought similarly to you? Obviously he must have thought he could have both - and did - but a family was something he clearly pursued. It was a goal for him. And I'm not sure that it was a goal for John at that stage? Later it was. Maybe in some strange way, John felt betrayed by Paul for wanting something else in his life apart from the Beatles?

joy stinson and 2141 like this.
  3. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Yeah, that's what I thought. 1967 was the last time they were collectively happy as Beatles.

4. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Great post. Of course we can never know and probably they couldn't have either. I especially agree with your bit about them not understanding the breakup. I don't think John really knew what he was doing and the others were completely shocked by his announcement. After that, none of them seemed to know what they were doing, or if whatever they were doing was the right thing. They just seemed to stumble along.

joy stinson and Cool Chemist like this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Maybe Yoko was another drug, like another kind of heroin. Probably a very unlucky match..

6. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

When was the last time any of us were 100% happy at our jobs? Bands and band dynamics are work

moople72 likes this.
  7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Yoko recently made the observation that their dealer back then was diluting the heroin/short-changing them which was lucky because it made it easier to kick.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I think around the STG Pepper or shortly before.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Is it confirmed as to whether or not they were actually shooting it? John had said more than once that he sniffed it because he was petrified of needles. Does this really make a difference to anything at this point? Not really…but I’m curious. I think Sanchez in his book also mentioned sniffing…not sure.

10. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Weren't they happy when making Abbey Road?

joy stinson likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yeah, they were thrilled to have Yoko in a bed in the studio while they were recording it. ;)

[​IMG]

S. P. Honeybunch and joy stinson like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Seriously:
    For the most part, yes, they were happy in July and August 1969 while they were recording the Abbey Road album. They made a promise to each other and to George Martin to dedicate themselves to making a solid album, just like they did in the "old" days.

I am sure though that business issues occasionally must have reared their ugly head from time to time. But it seems that they managed to keep these issues from interfering with the studio work.

joy stinson and DK Pete like this.
  13. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Was this photo taken before or after Brian’s 8/27/67 passing? “September” seems off somehow.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    fallbreaks and DK Pete like this.
  14. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

LOL.... Well there is a picture I had not seen before.

15. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

everyone's meta-narrative and quirky definitions come into play on the internet, often amusing, sometimes informative :D

16. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

as I Am The Walrus gets going in studio, a handful of days after Brian's death

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

After…this shot is during the filming of MMT

2141, Monasmee and 7solqs4iago like this.
  18. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I wonder what the thumbs up was about? This looks like around the the time of recording Lady Madonna. Perhaps some connection to that or similar? Anyone know?

DK Pete likes this.
  19. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Thanks, MMT makes sense based on the clothing & haircuts. They do look happy, which surprises me considering they had lost their manager just a few weeks prior.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    joy stinson, 2141 and DK Pete like this.
  20. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Lady Madonna their hair was longer, & all clean shaven, save for John’s mutton chops. Darker clothing, less psychedelic.

2141 and DK Pete like this.
  21. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

They could have been happy again if Paul had written Spies Like Us earlier

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Note Paul’s vest…that’s the instant giveaway. I always picture the start of the Fool On The Hill sequence on the bus.

2141 and Monasmee like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The LD period they’re all clean shaven and John’s hair is parted downward and to the side.

2141 likes this.
  24. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

I don’t think their hairstyles were any shorter afterwards.

2141 and DK Pete like this.
  25. Donald Wilkie

Donald Wilkie Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it was on a Tuesday

moople72, Roland Stoves and DK Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.