Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

thanks for the responses so far. I definitely want to hear more. How about the Hank Mobley Sextet record? It a pretty nice session, albeit not compositionally great.

2. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Replying to my own post…my order arrived today! Never had any tracking update but it took about 10 days and no duties were charged (which is awesome since shipping so expensive to Canada). Listening to Solid now. Wow! Jacket and record are perfect on inspection. Sound is stellar. MMJ did it right again.

Dignan2000, Dmann201 and The Pop Kids like this.
  3. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

biased, since these are some of my favorite records

Jackie McLean - Swing Swang Swingin' - $44.95 - great swinging band and J Mac's last record that was mostly standards.

Hank Mobley - Another Workout - $99.95 - another great, hard swinging band, some nice HM originals and a few unique standards - peak Hank Mobley

Freddie Redd - Shades of Redd - $49.95 - great band and great compositions.. i'd like to see Redd's Blues on vinyl

kt66brooklyn and Crazysteve like this.
  4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

all hank mobley is essential imo

day1953 and roverb like this.
  5. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I know shipping to Canada from Music Matters is expensive, but since there is no duty it makes it a little more palatable.

Pushpaw likes this.
  6. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

that's a valid point !

kt66brooklyn and Swordsandchains like this.
  7. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Totally agree. It’s part of my calculation when making decisions about MMJ orders.

8. Passing up PoD would be a HUGE mistake IMO. 90+ titles here and the 45 of PoD might be my very favorite.

The Sam Rivers is also essential, and I’d add Back to the Tracks while you’re at it as it is way under valued at $60 IMO.

9. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

My recommendations would be these

Tina Brooks - Back to the Tracks - $59.95
    Andrew Hill - Point of Departure - $124.95
    Sam Rivers - Fuschia Swing Song - $74.95

NorthNY Mark, Stu02, Gdgray and 6 others like this.
  10. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Point of Departure twice. One of my all time favourite jazz records!

11. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

All jokes aside, I have to agree with the Sam Rivers and Tina Brooks add ons as well, both fantastic!

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

:righton:

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  13. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone done an A/B of the 33 and 45 of Point of Departure? Normally, I’d search the thread, but I’m lazy on vacation this week :D

14. Vibrolux_Reverb

I obviously don't, but in every scenario where I have had the chance to AB other titles, both the AP45 and MMJ45 have bettered the MMJ33 in sound quality to my ears. I would imagine that this would be no different.

That said it isn't that it is better, but that it is different. I would say that the 45 rpm is more life like and fills the room more accurately with its sound stage. I think some people prefer the sound of the 33 rpm because they tend to have a little more attack and bright front end. It can come across as more engaging to some people. Both are going to be absolutely superb though and the differences aren't huge.

timzigs and Dai like this.
  15. Yes. Both are great. 45 is better to my ears. But I still kept both ;)

Dmann201 and timzigs like this.
  16. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I have an original mono and the 45MMJ, they are both very different and depending on mood I’d play different versions. Sorry, absolutely no help at all! :biglaugh:

vinylshadow and timzigs like this.
  17. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

Awesome! I live in Southern California, my order shipped on Monday and it's out for delivery today!

Pushpaw likes this.
  18. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I have the 33 of POD, but generally prefer the 45s, especially for the post bop sessions. So, every time someone mentions the title, I get the itch to snag it. Sound like you can never have too many versions of this :cool:

Greenmonster2420 and Pushpaw like this.
  19. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Every album on this list has merit; you really cannot go wrong with any of them. One of my favorites is Elvin Jones - Puttin’ It Together. At the original price of $49.95, if I were you I’d make sure it was included. Give it an on-line audition and see what you think. The sound is certainly one of the best in the MMJ45 series. In fact, why not just audition all of them. The current prices do not necessarily correlate with the critical standing of said releases. As one poster opined, Shades of Redd is a classic and it is still being offered at $49.95. Happy hunting!

timzigs likes this.
  20. Vibrolux_Reverb

Good post. For sure. I have heard all of these albums before, and a few of them multiple times. I just went back and revisited Puttin' It Together and am amazed at how much better it is than I remember. It has a bit of a CTI meets Blue Note vibe, and works really well in the context of a 3 piece. It's a tempting one for sure.

Dmann201, this_machine and Biff Jones like this.
  21. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

This is the way.

Although I’d also add Freddie Redd and Elvin Jones. Hank’s great, but his BN catalogue is vast and if I only had so much money, the above are more essential for me. Of course I started on that course and now own all but 3 MMJ titles. Whoops.

22. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

I third this! All recent pickups for me and love them all (in the last month or two).

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I can’t understand why there are still people on this thread that don’t already have Back in the Tracks :confused:

24. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

My order went through. Hooray! The Jazz Messengers titles and the Sonny Clark were shipped out today. I hope other interested forum members were successful as well.

25. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

What he said!

guidedbyvoices likes this.