Rolling Stone: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jonathan Halen, Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

A long time ago, I bought the 40 years of Rolling Stone DVD-ROM. I got a kick out of reading album reviews and how they crapped on what are now classics. It's a great DVD-ROM set.

Nosferatuz likes this.
  2. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

Sure! But is this a list of the 500 greatest catchiest songs? If so, where's Allan Sherman or Weird Al?

3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

No Riff Raff "Bodybag Full of Swag," no relevant list of 500 greatest anything. :thumbsdow

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

“To create the new version of the RS 500 we convened a poll of more than 250 artists, musicians, and producers — from Angelique Kidjo to Zedd, Sam Smith to Megan Thee Stallion, M. Ward to Bill Ward — as well as figures from the music industry and leading critics and journalists. They each sent in a ranked list of their top 50 songs, and we tabulated the results.”
    “More than half the songs here — 254 in all — weren’t present on the old list, including a third of the Top 100. “

5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

That song is awesome.

Nosferatuz likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It all comes down to the fact that, we can all make lists til the cows come home, but they don't mean much.

The only thing lists are really good for, is bringing someone's attention to something they may not have heard.

In reality, how is it possible to grade
    Heartbreak Hotel, A Day In The Life, Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay, Waterloo Sunset, Black Sabbath, Baker Street, Telegraph Road, Close To The Edge etc etc etc.... how is it logically possible to grade those songs against each other? There is no objective level to base a decision on, merely subjective opinion and speculation.

For young music lovers with no point of reference, they are tools towards discovery, but as for value basis discussions, illogical and bewildering.

7. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Agreed. To that end, it would have been great if RS built a Spotify playlist for the whole shmear.

8. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I would assume some of the previous voters have died/retiredand been replaced with newer ones with different tastes. Or this may be a larger more representative sample of voters. And some of the returning voters may have changed their minds about some songs’ place in the general overall context of things. In the end your subjective favourites will always be king for you.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

A playlist with a title like "songs worth hearing" or something, makes much more practical and logical sense.

10. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

You can also see who voted here: Who Voted for the 500 Greatest Songs?

11. IHeartRecordsAz

Bing bing bing. If any younger voters in this poll pick up the list, sees the selections, read about “God Only Knows,” get intrigued and then hear it for the first time, then the list is worth it. Likewise if an older voter becomes exposed to more recent music, as well.

I think I’ve said this before, but without the 03 RS 500 Greatest Albums list, I wouldn’t have discovered Big Star or Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers, or gave The Replacements and a few others a serious listen (or at least would have done so much later than I did). It opened my ears like few things would have, especially in a pre-Spotify era.

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Those RS lists are just as irrelevant as always. I mean, no HEARTBREAK HOTEL, no HONKY TONK WOMEN, no THUNDER ROAD, no HOTEL freakin' CALIFORNIA, no SULTANS OF SWING (in fact nothing at all from Dire Straits!), no ISLAND IN THE SUN... And RESPECT should be Otis' original.

That is not a serious list. Sure, it's a RS list.

Vinyl_Blues and mark winstanley like this.
  13. giantleech

Is "Balls To The Wall" by Accept anywhere on this list? If not, this list sucks. :thumbsdow

recordhead likes this.
  14. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Pretty good list, considering that it's 2021

RudolphS and Lance LaSalle like this.
  15. IHeartRecordsAz

She loves you, yeah, yeah yeah.
    She loves you, yeah, yeah yeah
    And with a love like that,
    You know you should be glad.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  16. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

2:21

17. IHeartRecordsAz

“Thunder Road” and “Hotel California” are on there. Just not in the top 100. I think I saw “Heartbreak Hotel,” as well (and possibly “Honky Tonk Woman”), but I’d have to double check.

18. giantleech

Is "Calling Dr. Love" by KISS on this list? If not, why not?

19. giantleech

Did "You Were On My Mind" by We Five make the list?

20. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Brought to you by a 20 year old with blue hair.

rvintamin likes this.
  21. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

These are the same people who whine about women (of all races, Joan Jett is a literal white rocker and people complain about her inclusion) and POC who dont fit the handful of token "ok, we accept them" (Jimi, Prince, Santana, Stevie, maybe Sly) getting in the Hall but every classic rock two hit wonder is being robbed

IHeartRecordsAz likes this.
  22. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

31: The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    30: Lorde, 'Royals

[​IMG]

Vinyl_Blues and rvintamin like this.
  23. Outside-Looking In

Outside-Looking In Forum Resident

These lists are honestly a load of garbage, primarily because of how ridiculous it is to do this sort of ranking with songs spanning a 70-odd year timeline, and from genres that more often than not are practically impossible to compare.

Agreed with those who suggested that it would be better all round if they just had these songs (and albums, for the album list) in order of release date rather than some arbitrary bulls*it ranking - not unlike how the 1001 book series does it

Sear and Lance LaSalle like this.
  24. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. It makes me feel better that three members of Anthrax were able to have their voices heard and their votes counted.

25. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Here, let me summarize the response for you:

"HEY! THIS SONG CAME OUT AFTER I GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL AND/OR IS IN A MUSICAL STYLE THAT I, PERSONALLY, DO NOT CARE FOR! WHAT THE ****?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.