The Eagles MOFI One Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatleboy1968, Jul 30, 2021.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

FYI, the SACDs and LPs are not mastered by the same person and can end up sounding different.

Nice table, by the way.

WhatDoIKnow and Big Blue like this.
  2. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

Thanks man. Good point, forgot that they are mastered separately. Plus Ive been more analog focused for a while now hence the disparity in components.

AnalogJ likes this.
  3. Recordguy

Recordguy Forum Resident

JimmyS likes this.
  4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Life is too short to wait to the 4th replacement.

Kristofa likes this.
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The first two albums are the best recordings IMO and of course Glyn Johns produced in London. So those would be the ones I would get on One Step if restricted to just two titles. Anyway you could always sell them at a substantial premium if you later decide they aren't worth it.

6. Rocco1

Rocco1 Forum Resident

I had been in the habit of buying both the SACD and the vinyl counterpart. When I would A/B these media the vinyl almost always sounded better, to my ears anyway. Eventually I sold all of my Mo-Fi SACDs and now its vinyl exclusively. I'm sure it varies between listeners, but to me the vinyl was for the most part, superior in its presentation of the music. YMMV.

EricSwan, AnalogJ and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  7. Classicrock

They should have done these standard 45 rpm on super vinyl. I will be buying them depending how first two turn out. I do however have so many copies so they have to be an upgrade over original UK white label (the best) and certainly the BG box set from a few years ago which used a digital step. The boxes are pretty superfluous and just another thing to get damaged.

ausamerika likes this.
  8. Impedance36

Impedance36 Forum Resident

I just cancelled my order of both titles with Music Direct. I had been on the fence about this purchase already with the overall cost, as a Canadian, being pretty damn steep at just over 2k to collect all six. With the feedback being lukewarm so far, I just can't roll the dice on all of these and I'll most likely grab the box set and seek out that one step Blood on the Tracks that I've always had on my list! Thank you to everyone who's been honest in their review of both titles, it's needed when there is this much cash at stake.

Kristofa, supermd, formu_la and 7 others like this.
  9. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for MoFi to give me a shipping notice for the Eagles S/T. I preordered it on 8/25 so maybe they're still getting through the list? I try not to be a nuisance and contact stores for order status but weird things do happen.

Also, I appreciate the feedback on Desperado. I cancelled my order several days ago just because I couldn't justify $125+ for an album I really don't completely enjoy. The defects really cemented it for me.

Ryan Bedlack likes this.
  10. Willy-T

Willy-T Well-Known Member

Ok so I ordered the self titled that just shipped yesterday
    Here’s how I see it
    1) if they are using the master tapes they are 50+ years old
    2) if these were not packaged the way they are and we’re in a plain jacket most wouldn’t look twice
    3) what MOFI is the master of is making everyone think they are getting this new great superior product which gets a lot of folks excited and feeling like they are buying for the first time when in fact they already have purchased it numerous times
    4) every one step I purchased was veiled in the top end sparkle but maybe the separation and soundstage were improved. But who wants veiled dill sound form the get go. High frequency magic gives the recording the presence
    5) if you just seek out the first or near first pressing with low mileage in excellent condition it will beat the reissue 90% of the time as the tapes were new when they were pressed
    6) I know folks will say mastering and cutting technology has improved but it’s still an analog sound wave being cut analog
    7) my listening system consist of
    Luxman PD151 Lyra Delos cart
    Parasound Jc2 preamp A21+ amp
    Monitor audio gold reference speakers
    Sutherland 20/20 phono preamp
    Cardas Cygnus cables
    I really wanted to describe my system for those who thought I was describing a reissue vs fist or early press impressions on a Crowsly vinyl chewer
    Not the case. Fingers crossed The Eagles will give a 50 year old tape new life
    Good luck everyone

marcb likes this.
  11. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Is everybody that's received the S/T and Desperado that have the same issues, sent an email or called in, letting MoFi know these issues? Please do, $125 is too steep to let this slide by!

12. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I'd wager that most on here who talk about "fresh vs. 50-year-old" analog tape have never heard, handled, or worked with studio-quality analog tape new or old, nor have I. I will leave the assessment of such to people who know what they are doing. Mastering engineers regularly cut from original tapes that are 50+ years old to great result: witness the many fantastic reissues being produced currently by engineers such as Kevin Gray and Ryan K. Smith.

Also, have you heard the One-Step BOTW or Mingus? Those two were nothing short of revelatory in sonics as well as pressing quality and worth every penny IMO. The resale prices of those two titles speaks to that. I can't quite say the same for my copy of "Still Crazy...". I have yet to receive my pre-ordered Eagles One Step titles, and will be sure to add my thoughts here when they do arrive.

Queezma, WhatDoIKnow and teag like this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If I may ask, what problem are you having with Cafe Blue? I have that album, and I thought that it was one of the most amazing records I have ever heard. I really liked the vinyl formulation

14. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

There’s more than a hint of b.s. in Azoff claiming he’s “unbiased.” As manager of The Eagles, he’s likely making $s from the One Step sales so he may be praising these releases artificially just to increase sales

Haggis Wampovich, JRose and c-eling like this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I actually think that'd probably work, it did for those Chicago monstrosity's didn't it? :laugh:

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The 50th anniversary masterpieces? :D

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

18. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Does anyone know the customer service phone number for mofi? Seems they only list an email on their site.

19. Classicrock

Agree about Still Crazy. This fell short of the others but maybe there was not much more to get out of the tapes. I think so far all one steps have been he best I have heard the album. Even Still Crazy beats an original UK but maybe does not add a lot to the US RSD from a few years ago. I do expect these Eagles titles to be the best versions and hope the defects are isolated copies.

20. Willy-T

Willy-T Well-Known Member

To. Volarules

1)Yes I recorded and handled master tapes as I recorded on the them in the early 90s
    2) tape age was only one factual issue with these One Steps or any reissue
    3) did you compare a first pressing Mingus to the One Step?
    4) tape degrades with repeated play
    The Eagles have been reissued a ton but not sure if these tapes were used in all projects
    5) I’m not insinuating that the sound is always inferior to the on the reissue I’m just saying there are more factors against them being better than there factors for improvement
    Thanks all
    Stay excited I am. I have not lost all hope yet!

21. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I do not own a first pressing Mingus, mostly because the cost of one in NM condition would be a lot more than the One-Step was new! And there is no use in comparing an original record in crappy condition with a new pressing. I do own a late-90's standard (digital, I suppose) Sony Legacy pressing, and the differences are stark. Stark.

I do have the DCC Eagles Greatest Hits (vinyl), which used the master tapes, so it will be a good and maybe interesting comparison when the Eagles One-Steps arrive.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If they were $15 even more people would.

I can’t imagine it’s cheap or easy to license Eagles albums. The huge margin on these one-steps is probably why they are even possible.

Joti Cover likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The original disc 1 I got has a bit of occasional surface noise, but I'm letting that go and have kept it. The first two disc 2 copies had a lot of noise and some vinyl whoosh. The 3rd copy of disc 2 had really bad ripple warps and seems to have been plated weirdly in that the music was distant and distorted. The 4th copy, the current one, is mostly quiet, a little bit of surface noise. On the other hand, it is slightly dish warped. The peripheral clamp takes care of it when the dish is facing upward, but I can imagine that someone without a peripheral clamp might not be so happy with the copy. Regarding the 3rd copy, a few others have voiced that they had a similar set of issues with their copy of disc 2. I didn't understand it until I actually got one with those issues, the rippling and distorted sound.

Regarding the music and mastering, the music is fantastic. The mastering is fairly balanced, with the tonal balance somewhat tipped toward the top. It lacks some lower end weight/presence. I have the original Premonition LP, and the tonal balance is warmer. The drums also exhibit much more weight and presense, having more gut-filling whomp. Comparing them, the 1-step seems a bit clinical and recessed compared to the original LP. Still, either are great listens.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thanks. Going to inspect my copy carefully this weekend.

AnalogJ likes this.
  25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I find it hard to believe a regular MoFi release at $50 or whatever wouldn’t be profitable.

Tullman and AnalogJ like this.