Why So Many Box Sets?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Great post, agree close to 100%. As to the critical mass point, as one who has bi*ched repeatly about the surround mixes
    couldn't they just extend the run on this non-vinyl or cd part of the process? A DVD/BRay standalone, even shoved into a
    a cheap case and retailed for $30-40 would have extracted a lot of purchases from me, especially for things I
    don't "have to have".

Anthrax likes this.
  2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I sold most of my Deluxe Album boxes.

3. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

You have to milk the cow before all the milk drinkers die.

mbrownp1 and Guy E like this.
  4. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Because people will spend their money on them. If they were not making money, they would not make anymore box sets.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, you're making my case for me. YOU don't want the surround, I don't want the hi-res. But, the only way to get the Peanut Butter Cup, is to get it with the chocolate, AND the peanut butter. That's just how the sausage gets made. I'm willing to pay for both, because the one feature means enough for me, because I've already got a stereo mix I'm perfectly satisfied with, and don't need another one.

I have a car to get me to the store, so I don't need a Lexus, just to fit into the same parking spot.

On the other hand, I could certainly use that Alan Parsons Quad mix of Dark Side, without prying it out of a hundred-dollar box that's only increased in value with no increase in benefit. In this case, the four channels are quite superior to the 5.1 channels...it's all about what goes into the channels.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  6. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Fair point but 30 years ago it was more of a novelty. Go to the record store in 90-91 and you'll see Zeppelin and maybe Queensryche's Operation Livecrime.

Now everyone and their grandma has a box set.

no.nine and Jimmy Agates like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Did you rip them first...? :idea:

Keith V likes this.
  8. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Very true (I'm the surround guy BTW lol) Reviews here are great value, heads up to @mark winstanley and @riskylogic.
    My point was I'd take a risk for $30 or so, but not for $150 or so, to find the surround mix had only used the
    extra channels for "ambiance" or crowd noises. And with some exceptions, I'm more likely to play outtakes or
    alternate mixes once, unless they are (to me) outstanding. So I find many mixed media boxsets irritating. IMO of course.

Edit: Also appreciate that many love the books, posters, etc. and whatever else they enhance with. but often it's just read/looked at, and gets filed with the container for me.

Dillydipper and mark winstanley like this.
  9. Volga

Volga Forum Resident

Your analogy seems more accurate than mine.

Eiszeit and Scott Michaelsen like this.
  10. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I used to gobble these up, but no more. My wallet and my shelf space need a rest. The only boxes I buy any more are those by Los Beatles.

Anthrax likes this.
  11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

:shh:

12. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Trying to milk that cow while she stills has something left. Now is the best time to it, especially with Covid around.

13. Dillydipper

Whenever I can, the CD's in jewel cases come out of the box, and into the drawer cabinet. The surround discs have different shelves for that, depending on Dolby,SACD or DVD-A-or-V (the Blu-ray Audios end up on yet another shelf, often mixed with a small collection of 3D Blu-rays).

The boxes alone go at the top of the shelves. Unless it's Zappa, Beatles or Guess-Who, which have their own shelves.

This is one of the reasons I started my NAS server project. Just walking around the "library" for the music, tuckers me out! :sweating:

Amnion likes this.
  14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

We know that CDs are going the way of the dodo??

15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I have a ton... but it's easy to be humorously cynical about it. It is a new marketing paradigm; The Kinks' 50th Anniversary box sets with CD's, outtakes, 21st Century remixes, vinyl LP replicas, 45 rpm single replicas, in-depth books, etc., etc. It offers the buyer a different kind of pleasure experience. Or maybe it offers the obsessive music fan a different kind of consumer experience. Hard to judge, but it definitely transcends music.

16. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

LOL, you're WAY more organized than me. My phyical media's not bad, although I just inherited a bunch of vinyl
    and cds that got wildly disorganized on their way, and it's on mt To Do list to sort. My digital collection is.. well
    scattered over numerous hdds, duplicates in different resolutions (sometime mislabelled) 5.1 mixes unidentified, etc.
    I'm a slob. My grade 5 teacher told my Mum, "He's very bright, but he's lazy" LOL

17. Dillydipper

When you move into a new house, you usually only get one shot at getting it right. ;) Because once you're in there, and the nic-nacks start appearing on surfaces and the party invitations go out...you've lost all control of further planning. :rolleyes:

18. Well I have a huge CD box set collection mostly from the 90s and into the 2000s. Tons of jazz sets and a plethora of whacky box sets designed and released by Rhino and so many other labels. Virtually every major league artist has a collective box set out on CD . The Virgin Mega Store and Tower in my town had shelves full of them

DISKOJOE and Stone Turntable like this.
  19. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Could you fit anymore metaphors into the post? Peanut butter, chocolate, sausages, cars, parking.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

I have no space in the "library" for any more box sets...all I have room left for are metaphors.

And, maybe some cabinet space for the similes...:D
    (the analogies have to go into the shed out back...)

Tjazz, mbrownp1 and Amnion like this.
  21. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I like PB, chocolate, and sausages. I have no interest in any of them being combined. :p

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

When the boomers die, so goes the box sets.

23. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

With all the inheritances, a whole new market who can afford them is created :agree:

24. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Currently addicted to the Esoteric/Cherry Red/Grapefruit clamshell boxes.

K.K. Bing, davers, DISKOJOE and 3 others like this.
  25. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

In the Seventies Frank Zappa tried for years to get a nine-album box set of unreleased Mothers stuff put out, only to be told it was commercially impossible. Times have changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.