Bowie "Ziggy Stardust" Ryko CD trade-in program

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by phmlpn, Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is absolutely true! The claim that these early disc were all "flat cuts" to satisfy the increasing demand was pretty common back then. And most of them were pretty barebones artwork wise. So when the fancy remasters with linernotes and whatnot came along many people happily rebought their favorite albums.

2. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

3. OnTheMike

OnTheMike Forum Resident

To contrast the above press release with info on the RCA's production details, here is information from the person who coordinated the manufacture of them.

Pick 'n' Mixed: The First Ever David Bowie CDs (RCA 1984)

(I'm sure this has been posted on here on other threads, but just in case some on here haven't seen it, here you go)

4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Just to clarify, this is only about the West Germany for Europe titles. I'm not 100% certain if the Japan for Europe releases were based on masters prepared by this team or not. There's a lot of questions still left to be answered about those CDs!
    I wonder if Jeff Rougvie wrote this press release, or at least an outline for it. The way this is written reminds me of his (excellent) Bowie blog.

JuanTCB and WHMusical like this.
  5. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

explain please -- never owned this box set

Glenn coates likes this.
  6. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

The USA Columbia Elvis Costello 80s CDs were awful -- Ryko much better ,

7. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Can I now return my Ryko for an RCA?

8. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

If you use EQ to drop -2db around 3khz the Ryko starts to sound a lot more like the RCA.
    Of course there was also some NR mused on the top end you can’t do anything about, the detail is just gone.

Fruff76 likes this.
  9. Paul Saldana

Ryko didn’t master them, it was done by Costello’s people, hence the improved sonics.

OnTheMike and phillyal1 like this.
  10. Paul Saldana

I blame it on early CD players.

The oldest CDs in my collection played now on my Philips 963SA sound quite decent.

OnTheMike and dkmonroe like this.
  11. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Compared to the RCAs, a lot of Rykos have around 6 dB added at about 12-13 kHz. Of course, that's not to say the RCAs had perfect EQ to begin with (it's a case-by-case basis), so reducing the Ryko treble by 6 dB might make it too dull.

12. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I was looking forward to hearing great sound quality thanks to the remaster from the best quality source tapes. What I actually heard was clear but also pinched and thin. These were the first Bowie CDs I owned, I didn't get any RCA CDs until later. Anyway, I didn't enjoy the sound of the Ryko box. Though at least it wasn't brickwalled, this was before the loudness wars!

Tim

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  13. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I think the CD players were OK. What changed perhaps were our expectations about how things should sound.

Tim

Brother_Rael likes this.
  14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

By biggest impression from this Ryko campaign-period was seeing a Ryko poster on the wall of a cd store that read:

"Ziggy Stardust - Whether you know it or not, this album changed your life!"

TheLoveDrags and Glenn coates like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Sure. The current exchange rate is 150:1 :uhhuh:

adm62 likes this.
  16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Damn, I only have 3

Neonbeam likes this.
  17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

They certainly did to me. I purchased one RCA (don’t recall the title) and was extremely disappointed by the amount of tape hiss on the obviously not from the original master tapes used on those releases. Honestly I didn’t do ( or even consider doing) a side to side comparison. The Rykos sounded “clean” compared to the RCA’s.

Edit: I was also 19, so the Ryko’s were, for the most part, the first way I ever heard his back catalogue.

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I wonder what Rykodisc did with the RCA CD's they received? I think most labels would trash them, but Rykodisc was an eco-friendly company (IIRC their catalogs carried PSA's for ecological concerns) so I wonder if they just donated them to Goodwill or something?

19. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Have you never heard a Ryko Bowie cd?

20. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

To this day I don’t think the Ryko CDs are as bad as their reputation suggests. They’re certainly far better than the 1999 EMI remasters and the majority of the Parlophone remasters (with a few exceptions like Pin-Ups). They’re not compressed and can be EQ’ed if the FR really disagrees with you. There’s a bit of NR but it’s not overdone. They all have truly excellent bonus tracks (except STS which just had a few live tracks IIRC). I mostly use the preferred RCA masters for my Bowie listening these days but I still own all my Rykos and wouldn’t part with them for anything.

C6H12O6, Tingman, yesstiles and 3 others like this.
  21. NotTimCurry

NotTimCurry Forum Resident

I’ve mentioned this before, and I’ll just chime in again: the Ziggy Au20 ryko has a unique sound; it’s a “harder rocking” version than the Ziggy (Japan) RCA. I have both and like both. I also have the ChangesBowie Au20 for posterity, and I hate the sound on it; it’s harsh and abysmal compared to the RCA German and Japanese counterparts I own. So FYI, ymmv.

sharedon likes this.
  22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Same could be said for almost any remasters - remember newer is normally thought of as "better", and reviewers are/were aware of who butters their bread.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I’ve got the AU 20 boxed set. Stupidly, I think Changes was the RCA I let go when I was in college.

24. NotTimCurry

NotTimCurry Forum Resident

ChangesBowie RCAs are the cheapest CDs to recover. At least last time I checked

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I just put in an inquiry with a former coworker but I'm almost positive they were long gone by the time I started working there a couple of years after the Bowie rollout.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.