The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

The display turns off after a delay that is configurable from the app. Mine is set to turn off after 60 seconds.

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Interesting... I don't seem to have that setting option... on the unit itself, or in the app.

- Kevin

3. PATB

[​IMG]

4. Joel Cairo

Nope-- don't have it.

(But, like I said, not a big deal...)

- Kevin

5. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

You're right, Sweet Vinyl does indeed soft sell it. It would be great if sometime you would post a review of the SVNR and how it works on both 78's and also more modern LPs & 45's. What settings do you typically use? At some point it sounds as if it is lossy. Is it lossy to point where you are just trading off record noise for high end or is it something else where the song becomes unnatural or robotic sounding? The Click and Pop Removal has a demonstrable benefit and I have ceased worrying about hearing any negative effects from its use at a setting of 5. My UCM often helps with the noise floor, as well as buying used LPs in decent shape. I don't listen to 78s. In my case, it would be a tough sell for me to justify the $1,300 premium for SVNR unless it had clearly audible benefits on modern recordings, without introducing clearly audible defects as well. From what you say it sounds like it does. You are one of the few Plus owners here, it would be great if you could flesh out your comments a little more. TIA

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  6. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I may be able to shed some light, pun intended, on the display dimming. The last update introduced the new "System" button under settings.

[​IMG]

The first item "Display stays on for (seconds)" is Off by default. I turned it On but it didn't work for me no matter what length of time I set it to. This wouldn't be the first time a new feature was added, but didn't work during the initial rollout of the feature. An example of this was true for me when the number of sides was increased from 8-10 and 10-12. It took a few upgrades before the feature started working for me. I planned to revisit this display setting after the next upgrade, which SC support described would be coming "shortly". Perhaps the feature was added and it is now working in only some hardware models, but not others.

7. Dischord

Dischord Well-Known Member

I live in Sweden and when I was looking to buy my SC-1 Mini earlier this year I ended up getting it from Analogue Seduction in the UK.

8. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

Somehow my SC-2 Mini reverted back to its previous firmware over the weekend. It was up to 2.3.310-g0d616738-202110829-0047-prod+sc2rec and now it is back to 2.1.51-ge-38f9515-20200326-2201-prod. Updates shows 2.3.310 is available. I tell it to update to 2.3.310. It downloads 2.3.310 and then flashes a bunch of lights and reboots. However, it does not update to 2.3.310. It stays at 2.1.51.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  9. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Good to see we have some new owners posting here.

10. Joel Cairo

Have you done the power off/on cycle after the attempted update (turn off power, wait 3 seconds, turn power back on)?

- Kevin

11. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

^^^^ Yes, I have several times today.

12. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

On a related note. I noticed my SC-1 plus was lacking a feature that was being discussed on this forum about two days ago. I E-Mailed Sweet Vinyl and was told that I had an older version even though the unit indicated it had the latest update. The instructions were to perform a reset to the original version. I did that but no update could be performed. Sweet Vinyl had to actually configure their site to provide a update to my unit. After that was initiated, I got the update.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  13. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

If worse comes to worse, there is supposedly a new firmware update due shortly. You my have better luck with this.

14. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

It's been rolling around my head for six months so I decided to exorcise the demon and order an SC-1 Mini. It'll take me a couple of months to pay off, but I'm pretty sure the savings in sanity will be worth it.

keiron99, PATB and Jim0830 like this.
  15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Congrats! I so want to do the same thing, but still hoping the cost will come down.

Quick question - the site has said "Sold Out" for a long time. Does that simply mean they will manufacture it once you order, and I assume, pay for it?

Thanks!

WDeranged likes this.
  16. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

I heard back from the staff at SweetVinyl yesterday via email. They sent directions on how to factory reset my SC-2 Mini. I followed their directions and it updated to the most current firmware properly.

marblesmike likes this.
  17. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

It might be the most frivolous purchase I've ever made. But I've got a spare room full of stuff that needs to go on eBay so bugger it.

I got mine from a UK dealer who have stock but I'm guessing SweetVinyl have been hit by the current semiconductor shortage. Plus the AKM factory burnt down so they might be having trouble sourcing the DACs.

dasacco likes this.
  18. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Congratulations! I mentioned about a month ago when you were thinking out loud on this forum about this same thing, that you had found your own justification for this purchase: Good mental health.

I have spent more on a piece of gear than this. My money has never been better spent than on my SC-2 Mini. I'll bet you'll have similar thoughts soon.

WDeranged likes this.
  19. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I certainly hope so. I have to admit that I feel a hint of buyer's remorse. But I'm not gonna go hungry and the rent will be paid so I'll try not to beat myself up too much. Clicks and pops have spoiled practically every record purchase since I started buying vinyl again.

20. PATB

Once you get used to it, after performing the requisite hundreds of A/B comparisons, you will realize that it is a game changer when it comes to vinyl listening. Enjoy!

Jim0830 and WDeranged like this.
  21. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Got a delivery confirmation for tomorrow morning :pineapple:

Ben Adams, Jim0830, PATB and 2 others like this.
  22. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Wowee. Where to begin. Bit of a revelation isn't it. The first disc I spun was an Ennio Morricone soundtrack my uncle gave me. All scratched up and dirty. I'd never played it before and it sounded very good. After playing three or four albums I could see the trend. Excellent clarity.

I moved on to testing various problem tracks, all but one were entirely cleaned up. One track on Queen's News of The World had a tiny gouge right in the middle, those grooves have been mushed. The SugarCube couldn't do much to remedy this and it manifested as a loud thud. Which is still a bit better than the big gravelly crunch I'm used to hearing. I did try a couple of albums that were either badly pressed or worn. As expected the SugarCube didn't help there.

My biggest pleasure was playing pristine, great sounding records that suffered from three or four loud snaps during quiet moments. This is why I wanted the SugarCube. Problem entirely and utterly solved. Another pleasure was playing an album from 1995 that wasn't fit to spin from day one. Constant low level popcorn that repeated cleanings could not touch. It now sounds absolutely fine and I'm looking forward to playing the entire album for the first time.

I used one of my cleanest records to compare the bypass mode to the processed signal. I can't reliably tell the difference. Though knowing me I'll keep trying :D

23. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

When you get a SugarCube and start describing it to people who have never heard it in action, they start rolling their eyes. NOTHING can be that good. But it is!

Yes you will try BYPASS, but I think you will find you try less and less. I know I still do. I am getting some new speakers Friday which are much more resolving and have an amazing sound stage. I will certainly try BYPASS again to see if I can hear anything. The one time I may have heard something it was possibly a slight change to the sound stage.

keiron99 and WDeranged like this.
  24. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I'm done with testing bypass for today. I'm mostly just checking the click monitor and giggling.

Dischord, Jim0830 and keiron99 like this.
  25. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I know. It wore you out just listening for something and just not hearing it. How is that mental health doing now? Getting better? Enjoy!

keiron99 and WDeranged like this.