Upgrade path from a Denon AVR-X3600H?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Aug 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

...which is currently driving Focal 936/CC900/SR900, plus an SVS SB-2000 Pro. Upgrading the speakers, or going to Atmos, or adding another sub...those are different subjects.

The question here is what might give better sound. I don't believe measurements are all however as an engineer I would want an even lower noise floor. AND still have room correction, Audyssey or Dirac or there's another I forget. Source is basically an Oppo UDP-203, and sometimes AirPlay. So far no surround from Netflix etc as there's not a connection from the display.*
    - Are there any pre/pros really better than what is in the -3600?
    - I know you can turn off the L/R internal amp. I know you cannot turn them off individually in pairs. Can you turn them ALL off?
    - Amp, again would want a lower noise floor. Want Class D/G/H due to one circuit, cuz I would think to upgrade for more power just to have more headroom.
    - 5-channel amp might be cool...though if using the 3600 as a preamp a 3-channel really seems sufficient to me. Nominations? Those ATI and Monoprice Monolith I read good things, but back to Class AB efficiency and eh somehow it would be interesting to try something different. And not humongous. Or something by Boulder or such, just to contradict myself.
    - Budget, I dunno. $5k? Not too fixed really.

*hmmm, isn't there an ARC connection? I gotta pull out the cabinet and look again!

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I've had a lot of Denon receivers, used many of them as processors. But I've also had several dedicated processors.

Yes, I think there's room for improvement stepping up to a dedicated processor. Consider a Marantz AV7706 @ $3K? Marantz and Denon are essentially one single line of products, at this point. The leaves $2K for your choice of amps.

Also, I don't think you'll need to limit yourself to a certain amp class due to power limitations. I currently have a McIntosh MC-452 (800w, total), plus an ATI AT3007 (2100w, total), running off one 20A circuit. There's no realistic situation where you're pulling more than 1800w continuous power via a single dedicated 15A circuit.

3. head_unit

That's probably a good point...it's more about curiosity, and possible heat buildup inside the cabinetry. Still I suspect that some of the better valuesin bigger multichannel amps remain Class AB-seems like the others are mostly stereo??

4. head_unit

bump, since I'd think there would be a lot of opinions about this...

5. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

If you look at Audio Science Review, most pre-pros (including Marantz) measure worse than your 3600. Not sure what would give "better sound" (stero music) unless the avr is underpowered for your speakers, in which case outboard power amps for the L/R channels might help.

If you want to disconnect all power amps or specific ones such as L/C/R and use only outboard amps, I believe the AVR-X8500 can do this. The AVR-X6700 also has this feature.

For netflix 5.1, I believe all the usual streamers such as roku, firestick, chromecast connected via hdmi will play it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    head_unit likes this.
  6. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

YAMAHA XDA-AMP5400RK Multi-Room Amplifier 4 Zone 8 Channels

$1199
    Eight channels of audiophile-grade Class D amplification, bridgeable and 4-ohm capable
    bridgeable to 200 watts/channel (8 ohms).
    1U size

I've been using a Yamaha P7000s (700 W @ 8 ohm) (2U pro amp) w/Focal Electra 1038be for several years now. Uses EEEngine tech => newer Yamahas have gone to ICE amps, I believe.

head_unit likes this.
  7. Helom

Helom Forum member

How about the NAD C298? Available through Crutchfield — returnable if it doesn’t impress.

head_unit likes this.
  8. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Have you looked into the Anthem stuff? Really nice.

head_unit likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would suggest an AVR or prepro with Dirac. I went from a Denon 4311 with Audyssey XT32 to an Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac. The differences between the two room correction systems is huge IMO. Dirac does a much better job in my room than Audyssey XT32 ever did. I have no experience with Anthem AVRs or prepros with ARC but have read good things.

head_unit likes this.
  10. head_unit

Dirac is of great interest. Can you tweak it? Like you can Audyssey if you get their app?

11. head_unit

It sure looks like it. But has measured not well a couple times which makes me hesitant. As an audio engineer I certainly don't believe measurements are everything, but also want basic functionality like low noise and flat linearity. Still measurements are usually one-offs, so maybe it's worth a good-return-policy try.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

With the full version of Dirac I believe it can be customized far more than Audyssey. But in all honesty I haven't played with Dirac that much. I did the auto calibration with my Emotiva XMC-1 and liked the results enough to leave it be. Below is a link to a great thread over at AVS discussing Dirac.

The official Dirac Live thread

head_unit likes this.
  13. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

What do you mean by “has not measured not well a couple times”?

Have you listened to one? I would not go by what analytic tests say and use the best test devices that you have which are on the sides of your head. Your ears will tell you if it sounds good or not. Anthem products are very well made. It comes with very well made room correction and a high quality microphone for analyzing your room.

14. head_unit

Well yes but not just. Of course measurements aren't everything, especially when not all measurements are even made any more. The power supply and analog circuitry can have a big effect on the sound quality. BUT sinceI'm an engineer, I want something to measure well in its basic functionality also, especially if I'm shelling out premium money. So if I spend more, I want better sound AND better measurements (lower noise floor which I superstitiously think may lead to better sound). Audio science review tested then retested a couple of Anthem receivers-they measured well but not amazing (one negative tested later had a re-test to better results, though not better than less expensive stuff). In the 2-channel world you can get some amazing measured performance and great sound comments. For home theater, that doesn't seem to happen. Maybe too much stuff crammed into one chassis.

I always liked Anthem as a concept...no, never listened to any of this stuff besides a series of Denon receivers (the AVR-1612 I had for a long time I particularly felt sounded like nothing). One possible strategy is get an Anthem pre/pro with a reasonable return policy. The next step is likely an ATI AT525NC 5-channel Class D and punt on the pre/pro for a while.

15. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I have not seen amirim measure any of the new models. Only the old ones. Looking through his various reviews and measurements, it seems that really none of the multi channel units measure well at all. You may just see that some are slightly better than others. I still use a old Denon 988 from 2008 and it still works. Really just use it for tv/movies and 5.1 surround mixes. For 2 channel, you need to go with separates.
    Someday I would like to get something that supports 4k and ATMOS, but really it is a compromise no matter what you get. Notnsure if I am a fan of Audyssey at all. Don’t like it on my Denon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.