'The Thing(s)'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Sep 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Not to me they're not. I actually thought. "you've got to be kidding me"...and turned it off.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

When did you see it?

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  3. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Saw it on Showtime in 80s first time. I tried watching it again, once or twice over the yrs since then. I figured I'd give it another chance since so many seem to like it. I think I watched the whole thing once...that was first time. I dunno, it just doesn't work for me.

4. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

John Carpenter's The Thing is one of my fave sci-fi / horror films. The original is great too, but I have an affinity with the remake as it was one of the films I saw at the Well Hall Odeon Late Show, back when I a young.

The late show didn't start until 1 or 2am and was a bit of a stoner's hangout due to the films they put on. Music films I remember seeing there were: Live At Pompeii, The Song Remains The Same, the Ziggy Stardust movie, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Head. And they put on sci-fi and horror films too, including Dark Star and The Thing.

I often prefer the original 50's versions of sic-fi films, but Ennio Morricone's score elevates this one to classic status.

I haven't seen the recent one.

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

The Thing From Another World and John Carpenter's Thing from 1982 are such wildly different films, its almost unfair to compare them.

The 1951 film is a hell of a lot funnier and dialogue-centric for one thing. Carpenter's version is a straight up horror film whose strength is its gory and weird practical effects. They are both fantastic for very different reasons, so my preference depends on my mood and possibly the day of the week.

I have zero interest in seeing the 2011 prequel. I hear 'prequel' and I automatically zone out, envision "money grab" and lose interest. No thank you.

But The Thing From Another World and 1982's The Thing are both great. Love 'em both.

altaeria, Crungy and Bluesman Mark like this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I found the 1964 version so much more realistic....
    [​IMG]

7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Oh! It's worth watching. Give it a chance. Ain't no classic but it is a solid sci-fi horror flick.
    " The thing is alive!"

jamesc likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

...the 1968 version, not so much.
    [​IMG]

9. Dillydipper

And I try and stay away from the radio version...although they do consider more of them. :shh:

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Alternate theme :nyah:

Solaris and Dillydipper like this.
  11. Thievius

Modern Hollywood movies don't interest me.

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Ah, ok, thought maybe if you saw it recently it maybe seemed dated, as the effects were pretty much state of the art in 82.

But art is subjective and if it's not for you that's fine. There are a few big films I have no time for.

For me though The Thing is cinema perfection. Great concept perfectly executed by a superb ensemble cast and directed brilliantly. Love the practical effects personally and the soundtrack. Can't find a fault really.

Howard Hawks, director of the original, famously said a great film is three good scenes and no bad ones. The Thing for me is just one great scene after another.

Linger63, Spastica, DPM and 7 others like this.
  13. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

There's also this little classic.

14. Since she wasn’t at the base and might have got caught in the storm, I assumed she died. It was ok but unnecessary. The original is a fun flick and the second film (which sadly they are thinking about making a new version from the recently discovered novel expanded manuscript for the story).

15. Wildest cat from montana

What is this? Your posted image is a black screen for me.

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

How many of you have taken in this, um, thing?

[​IMG]

It's quite something. What? I'm hazier on that.

SmallDarkCloud and Thievius like this.
  17. Thievius

I know of it as Red Letter Media has brought it up a couple of times on their channel. Its supposedly a worthy contender for worst movie ever. While I think phrase is used far too often, I have seen footage of this...err..film and have to agree that it is at least in the running.

Pinknik likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

I'm intrigued...but should I be?

Pinknik and Thievius like this.
  19. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

I'm the same, though I do think the 82 version is the better film. But I love them both equally.

20. Thievius

Go to about 22:33, and enjoy..??

21. Carpenter and Bill Lancaster were clearly inspired by Lovecrsftian horror.

22. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Somehow this movie flew under my radar so I checked it out on Amazon Prime last night. Kind of uneven and the lead actor (the cop) was underwhelming but certainly scratches the itch for decently executed Lovecraft-style rubbery gory monster fx, a rarity in this day. So thumbs up for the recommendation.

Regarding the 3 “Thing” movies, the original and Carpenters are personal favorites for wildly different reasons. As for the “Prequel,” I think it gets a bad rap. It’s not on the level of the other films and it doesn’t quite connect as being a direct prequel to Carpenter’s film, but it’s enjoyable taken on it’s own merits.

23. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Watch it on Youtube.

24. Wildest cat from montana

And how do I do that, pray tell? Punch in ' black screen?

25. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Click on the underlined "Watch On YouTube" text in the image. You'll also have to sign in or otherwise verify you're over 18 to view the NSFW video (although it's only a claymation type parody of the movie).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.